Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

New Year Honours 2023

cupid_stunt

Chief seagull hater & farmerbarleymow's nemesis.
I know generally speaking these things are a load of old bollocks, and I tend to ignore them and haven't had a proper look at this year's list, but this was in my local news feed, and despite having no interest in football, I am aware of this chap, and I am chuffed he has received MBE.

A football player who was left paralysed from the chest down after a horror crash is being honoured with an MBE.

George Dowell is one of dozens of people from across Sussex to be recognised in the New Year Honours list.

He was just 17 when his life was changed for ever. He was involved in a crash which left him wheelchair bound.

He was playing for Worthing FC, at the time a struggling club, and decided to take ownership of it at the end of the 2014/15 season.

George, now 31, used his compensation pay-out to invest in the club, wiping all its debts and paying for a new 3G pitch.

He also paid for The Rebels Tavern, the pub at the club's Woodside Road ground, to have a complete makeover, converting it into The 7HQ Sports Bar and Cafe and continuing general improvements to the ground.

George, who has just become a father, said he was “blown away” by the honour. “I thought it was a scam,” he told The Argus. “I was completely shocked by it to be honest. I honestly don’t know how I got it. I did ask, ‘how did this come about?’ I guess someone has put my name forward.”

So, who's on the list that has chuffed or pissed you off?

Liz Truss gongs:

Peerages:

Matthew Elliott

Political Strategist and formerly Chief Executive of Vote Leave.

Jon Moynihan

Formerly CEO and Executive Chairman of PA Consulting Group. Formerly Chairman of Vote Leave.

Ruth Porter

Deputy Chief of Staff to the former Prime Minister in 2022.

Order of the British Empire –Dames Commander of the Order of the British Empire:

Shirley Conran

For services to mathematics education as founder of the Maths Anxiety Trust.

Jacqueline Doyle-Price MP

For public and political service as Minister of State for Industry and Member of Parliament for Thurrock.

Order of the British Empire – Knight Commander of the Order of the British Empire:

Alec Shelbrooke MP

For public and political service as Minister of State for Defence Procurement and Member of Parliament for Elmet and Rothwell.

Order of the British Empire – Commanders of the Order of the British Empire:

Sophie Jarvis

For public service as Special Adviser from July 2019 to October 2022 at DIT, FCDO and 10 Downing Street.

Shabbir Merali

For public service as Economic Adviser and Special Adviser from February 2018 to October 2022 at HM Treasury, DIT, FCDO and 10 Downing Street.

Order of the British Empire – Officers of the Order of the British Empire:

Robert Butler MP

For political and public service as Parliamentary Private Secretary at FCDO and Member of Parliament for Aylesbury.

Suzanne Webb MP

For political and public service as Parliamentary Private Secretary at DIT and 10 Downing Street, and Member of Parliament for Stourbridge.

Order of the British Empire – Members of the Order of the British Empire:

David Hills

For political service as Conservative Association Chairman in South West Norfolk

He has had a CBE for ages, so presumably he had already lost any antiestablishment credentials.

I’m annoyed to have been passed over again. I want an order of the bath.

They’re talking about this on the radio now, Truss’ nominations. How come she gets another go?

Gerald Ronson - a knighthood (in addition to his existing CBE) is quite a comeback for a member of the Guinness Four (he was fined £5 million and given a one-year jail sentence, of which he served six months).

There is the odd deserving case there was a railway worker on the news this am who apparently has got a gong for the fact that so far he has talked down no less than 29 suicide attempts.
Most of them are just the old boy (and girl) network patting each other on the back. The whole thing wants junking along with the monarchy.

There is the odd deserving case there was a railway worker on the news this am who apparently has got a gong for the fact that so far he has talked down no less than 29 suicide attempts.
Most of them are just the old boy (and girl) network patting each other on the back. The whole thing wants junking along with the monarchy.

Am not opposed to the state recognizing good deeds, think it can be a good thing. But the way things are is just crap, some cruddy monarch supposedly handing out gong, but the reality is that it is slimebag politicos dishing them out to people who have bunged them cash or supported them in some other manner. Only positive I guess is there's a handy list for then we finally grow a pair and dust off Madame Guillotine.

Also my very amazing and awesome friend Lucy Ferguson who is a first class human in every way :cool: Again, if she's happy to receive recognition from the state in this format, I'm very happy for her.

I know generally speaking these things are a load of old bollocks,
Knighthoods, Damehoods and colonial initials after your name are definitely bollocks, and in the few times I've spoken or corresponded with someone with one I've pointedly referred to them as Mr, Mrs, Ms, etc.

Peers are another matter though, because they sit, totally unelected and unaccountable, on the legislature. Unless they resign themselves, or die, I think the only way to get rid of individuals is an act of Parliament.

One day the UK as a democracy might slither into the twentieth (sic) century.

Alec Shelbrooke? The cunt who moaned about benefits for the unemployed during IDS' heyday while claiming for Sky in his office?

And an honour for Danaerys Targaryen? Services to uncle fucking?

Back
Top Bottom