Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

New Eurostar trains: Alstom out, Siemens in

Go another step back from orange TGVs and we had these beauties:

View attachment 92881

I remember these being heavily featured in some childhood book of trains (might have been a ladybird book)

Trans Europ Express - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Les TEE au Luxembourg - TEE in Luxemburg
That's a proper train. It's almost as 'trainey' as the mighty:

P7017276.jpg

If we ever had to come up with the goods in a similar way again...could we?

The great white hope of the IEP train being rolled out on the GW and ECML is now the way forward .....distributed power , not locomotives ......the Deltics though were an incredibly good purchase , largely down to a few canny individuals (Gerry Fiennes being one) , urging for more horsepower to deliver higher speeds. Absolutely right thing to do. Personally broke their hearts to scrap the A3 Pacifics - 46 of which were withdrawn by the Deltics but the right thing to do...

GF wanted to test a Deltic on the Great Western line when he was General Manager - but it was refused by the higher ups at 222 Marylebone Road , so GF geared up a pair of 37's and let them rip on the Paddington - Bristol line and down to Plymouth .....3,600 horsepower ! -

The HS2 trains are going to be EMUs too aren't they? In ten years, what high-speed locos will still be running?

Deltics though were an incredibly good purchase , largely down to a few canny individuals (Gerry Fiennes being one) , urging for more horsepower to deliver higher speeds.

Used to get one on depot at 04:30 at the end of a 23hr diagram. Always needed engine oil (via a cart and hand pump through the side door) and the brakes always needed either taking up hole or reblocking. On my own and in time for the 07:00 Hull Executive

When I used to do proper work for a living.

Used to get one on depot at 04:00 at the end of a 23hr diagram. Always needed engine oil (via a cart and hand pump through the side door) and the brakes always needed either taking up hole or reblocking. On my own and in time for the 07:00 Hull Executive

When I used to do proper work for a living.

I spent a night shift at Cowlairs depot way back , and the staff were re-blocking the 47's used on the fast Glasgow - Edinburgh shuttles , brutal work , which they had to do every 2 or so days , such was the daily workload with fast running and frequent stops. An eye opener to a non technical wet behind the years , graduate trainee......

I spent a night shift at Cowlairs depot way back , and the staff were re-blocking the 47's used on the fast Glasgow - Edinburgh shuttles , brutal work , which they had to do every 2 or so days , such was the daily workload with fast running and frequent stops. An eye opener to a non technical wet behind the years , graduate trainee......

Winter was the worst, dripping snow or ice on to you at the same time as hot blocks and wheels wearing gloves and sweating like a pig, my goodness I was as fit as a lop then.

I can't think of any recent new build high speed trains that aren't based on a distributed power design.

Shame.

The days of silently, almost imperceptibly, moving off from stationary, are nearly over.

Sitting on top of motors is a step backwards from a passenger comfort point of view. :(

Shame.

The days of silently, almost imperceptibly, moving off from stationary, are nearly over.

Sitting on top of motors is a step backwards from a passenger comfort point of view. :(

Absolutely, but the need to get all that power down, all that braking energy to get rid off and still keep low axle weights, has seen it away.

Shame.

I know.

It's not so bad with electric motors though.

The bi-mode IEP trains at one point were going to have the diesel engines located at each end, sending power to traction motors throughout but as I understand it, now they are going to have underfloor diesel engines like the awful Voyagers.

The newly ordered stock for the sleeper trains to Scotland is loco hauled so at least we will have that for a couple of decades although it won't have any opening windows :mad:

The bi-mode IEP trains at one point were going to have the diesel engines located at each end, sending power to traction motors throughout but as I understand it, now they are going to have underfloor diesel engines like the awful Voyagers.
NOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

breathes

ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Eurostars being broken at EMR Kingsbury, Tamworth. Work a train in to St Pancras , then loco hauled straight to EMR. How the mighty have fallen.

Back
Top Bottom