Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

New Eurostar trains: Alstom out, Siemens in

Not sure, someone more knowledgeable will chip in, but I thought East Coast was/is our slopey nosed HSTs?
The all-electric version. And yes, its loco-hauled. Them and the deisels on the GWR will be replaced by the Hitachi IEP trains, which are multiple units. Its just more efficient.

BR mk3 and later mk2 carriages have aircon seating area with openable windows in the vestibules. Another reason why I like the HSTs.

Yep. That works. Windy vestibules are fine. :)

My parents live on an HST route. Too often, weekends, there's awful "Thames Turbos" (the ones with narrower seats than tube trains or buses. I think. I will measure one day.) anyway they are hateful. And then there's the occasional HST. Despite the dreadful fgw 'upgrade' they are still lovely. Train with no noise.

siemens in lol

butt-head-small.jpg

They do look good alright.

It's a shame they weren't picked for the Ashford-London high speed commuting line. Those trains 'only' reach 145 mph, right? As the line is 186 mph capable, it seems a bit of a waste.
140mph

Would be a total waste on a domestic commuter service. Nothing wrong with the 395s. Don't forget they spend quite a lot of time on conventional train lines.

Not sure, someone more knowledgeable will chip in, but I thought East Coast was/is our slopey nosed HSTs?
Not sure what you mean? The Edinburgh-London service is operated by local-hauled trains.
Feeling sceptical: are these the ones with motors underneath? And no full train walk through?

Bah. I'll learn to love them. The current stock is tired but still charming. I love the soundless drift as it starts moving. Like HSTs. Motors at the ends ftw :)
No walk through? Are you sure about that? :hmm:

ugh WHY CAN'T AMERICA HAVE COOL TRAINS. i'd fucking die for one of these eurostar machines cross the pond but yet i've got to deal with literal fucking trolleys like this

IMG_9484.jpg

ugh WHY CAN'T AMERICA HAVE COOL TRAINS. i'd fucking die for one of these eurostar machines cross the pond but yet i've got to deal with literal fucking trolleys like this
Even whizz bang TGV France has some clunky old rolling stock on its branch lines. Isn't California considering a Maglev project?

1024px-3445_at_Waterloo_East.jpg

Don't feel too bad. Until only a few years ago millions of people commuted in and out of London on machines like this.
Indeed. I used to get on one of these for an hour and 35 minutes each way, every day. For about 5 years. It's the main reason I work from home now.

The door handles were on the outside, so you had to drop the window to get out. Hours of fun watching poor tourists panic when they reached their stop.

The added attraction was the extra ventilation that the badly secured windows offered in winter. There's nothing quite like zero degrees screaming through the carriage at 60 mph. (I exaggerate - nothing reached 60 mph, even downhill with a following wind.)

By comparison, the current rolling stock into Charing Cross, Canon Street and Victoria is a pleasure, if a little hard on the arse.

The rolling stock through Kent on the Eurostar line into St Pancras is very comfy, if a tad busy**. But it's not stupidly more expensive than the slow train. Hey, guess what? Provide decent trains, a short enough journey, and a frequent enough service and the passengers will come.

In our cute, straw-chewing, rural ways, we still call them "the fast train" and "the slow train". You can take the yokel out of the sticks, but you can't.. something, something.

** ETA IN the rush hour. During the day it's fine.

we still got them in Cardiff

Not those, you haven't. Except for special trains they're banned from the main line now. You're thinking of these horrible old boneshakers:

142041_Northern_Rail_Castleton_East_Jcn.jpg

We've still got 'em round here too. Hasten the day they're all scrapped and replaced with something more comfortable and where the body doesn't sheer off the chassis in a collision.

POLITICAL CORRECTNESS GORN MAD :mad:

Tbf it does seem slightly illogical banning them when Pacers with exactly the same safety issue are working busy services day in day out, but even if they weren't banned there'd be very little for them to do. Most of them were electric and therefore useless outside the south-east, where they've all been replaced, and the diesel variants (which I remember with little affection from when they did the London-Uckfield service) were old, uncomfortable, catastrophically unreliable and expensive to maintain by the time they were finally withdrawn.

Last edited:
Pretty sure they could do 80-90mph actually.
Oh, I'm sure you're right.

But Ashford to Victoria was 17 stops in 55 miles, which took 1 hour 35 minutes.

I don't think the driver got much chance to show his mad skillz.

Perhaps in the straight bit between Maidstone and Ashford, after the rush hour, when they'd skip the odd station. But by that part of the day, I'd lost the will to live.

:)

Tbf it does seem slightly illogical banning them when Pacers with exactly the same safety issue are working busy services day in day out, but even if they weren't banned there'd be very little for them to do. Most of them were electric and therefore useless outside the south-east, where they've all been replaced, and the diesel variants (which I remember with little affection from when they did the London-Uckfield service) were old, uncomfortable, catastrophically unreliable and expensive to maintain by the time they were finally withdrawn.

The Manningtree-Harwich service used to use a diesel one back in the '80s. Apart from anything else, they were even noisier than most diesel units, and the whole bloody thing used to vibrate like a sex toy if it went over about 15mph!

The Manningtree-Harwich service used to use a diesel one back in the '80s. Apart from anything else, they were even noisier than most diesel units, and the whole bloody thing used to vibrate like a sex toy if it went over about 15mph!

The dreaded East Anglia Cravens units - awful. Though there were some decent loco hauled MK1 sets around on the Harwich - Peterborough trains. I nearly got run over by one , whilst examining the line one morning.A close call in the mist. (looking for dumped , stolen mailbags pre Xmas)

Not those, you haven't. Except for special trains they're banned from the main line now. You're thinking of these horrible old boneshakers:

142041_Northern_Rail_Castleton_East_Jcn.jpg

We've still got 'em round here too. Hasten the day they're all scrapped and replaced with something more comfortable and where the body doesn't sheer off the chassis in a collision.

Basically the 14x classes were a Leyland national bus body on a four wheel underframe with the collision resistance of a coke can and known by many as Nodding Donkeys due to the fore and aft motion on anything other than perfect track

You've not experienced trains in this country unless you've done a pacer on something like the Goole-Knottingley line, with branches brushing up against the window and a nice rocking motion on the buggered track. I think when I did it I was the only passenger for most of the journey.

You've not experienced trains in this country unless you've done a pacer on something like the Goole-Knottingley line, with branches brushing up against the window and a nice rocking motion on the buggered track. I think when I did it I was the only passenger for most of the journey.

I have a fair few miles on the 14x nodding donkeys Sunderland to Middlesbourgh and Middlesbourgh to Whitby for example the fore and aft motion get quite annoying

So, the new Eurostar trains have been running for a while now. Not been on them myself, however customer feedback is universal; SHIT.

Nasty colours, plasticky feel, uncomfy seats.

Other than that, all good :cool:

So, the new Eurostar trains have been running for a while now. Not been on them myself, however customer feedback is universal; SHIT.

Nasty colours, plasticky feel, uncomfy seats.

Other than that, all good :cool:

Same as usual for British passengers, then. Nothing we're not used to. Of course, for that authentically British feel, they could add appalling food, immense price hikes, worse customer service and sitting on the floor for the entire trip even after reserving a seat.

Back
Top Bottom