Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

New Eurostar trains: Alstom out, Siemens in

Any chance of Saumsung Shinkansen 500-esque revolving seats so you can arrange seats as you like?

One of these? That's one cooool train...

shinkansen500.jpg

They do... but the result is that whenever the driver switches it to opaque, you wonder what it is they're trying to hide...

They're probably just trying to concentrate on driving rather than being distracted by someone staring over their shoulder or banging on the window going 'oi mate! what time do we get to Amsterdam?'

I've just read that the e320s don't have separate motor cars.

That sounds like a backward step. :(

I've just read that the e320s don't have separate motor cars.

That sounds like a backward step. :(

How so? It's becoming more common - the last couple of generations of ICE trains haven't had separate motor cars; neither do most of the Pendolino variants including our ones on the WCML.

EMU (electric multiple unit) trains have a better power/weight ratio, more seating space and redundant motors (ie. if one fails, the train still goes). They are superior in every way except noise. And maybe maintenance costs? I don't know.

Interesting at the bottom of that article about Deutsche Bahn wanting to run trains from London to Cologne and Frankfurt. Good idea me thinks. I would be well up for that journey.
me too, except they're not going to be allowed unless they completely redesign their trains. Summat about not being in two parts iirc

The noise thing isn't really an issue with EMUs but it is with diesel MUs as anyone who's been in a Virgin Voyager knows.

The other downside that multiple units have is lack of flexibility and interoperability... not much of an issue in the UK now that our railways have evolved to be inflexible but if you travel on long-distance international trains (especially the overnight ones) on the continent you can see the advantage of the carriages being fairly dumb things that just need some wheels the right distance apart and a power supply. Just change the locomotive over when you cross borders etc, and add a couple of extra coaches on the busier nights of the week, and so forth.

me too, except they're not going to be allowed unless they completely redesign their trains. Summat about not being in two parts iirc

They already have done, and they are being built now, and one is visiting London later this month.

It's so that if there's a fire in the tunnel, one half of the train can get out, if the other half is damaged/on fire (they'd move the passengers first of course!)

They're either going to relax that rule, or run 2 trains joined together nose to nose.

How so? It's becoming more common - the last couple of generations of ICE trains haven't had separate motor cars; neither do most of the Pendolino variants including our ones on the WCML.

Maybe the noise/vibration thing isn't that bad on pure electrics, but tonight I was on old 125... The silent pull away is pure, silent, elegance. The engineering arguments I'm sure are different, but for passengers, having all the haul-loading kit isolated is fab.

well if Siemens are building them I expect them to crash regularlly fail to do what they were designed to do be delivered late, massively over budget and be utterly trumped by better cheaper technology as soon as it's launched...

Maybe the noise/vibration thing isn't that bad on pure electrics, but tonight I was on old 125... The silent pull away is pure, silent, elegance. The engineering arguments I'm sure are different, but for passengers, having all the haul-loading kit isolated is fab.

Diesel yes I agree entirely but with modern electrics I don't think it's an issue. In fact noisy a/c is more likely to be an irritation (was in some hauled coaches recently where the noise of the A/C pretty much destroyed any advantage of not having an engine under the floor).

J
well if Siemens are building them I expect them to crash regularlly fail to do what they were designed to do be delivered late, massively over budget and be utterly trumped by better cheaper technology as soon as it's launched...

really? I was under the impression that they made good trains....

My three year old son, who saw his first in-the-metal Eurostar a couple of weeks ago (with much excitement, I might add) will be confused if they change the trains :hmm:

J

really? I was under the impression that they made good trains....

Siemens have a history of getting interesting projects and over complicating them and under delivering. They tend to put a huge resource into winning the bid and hopelessly under resourcing the actual delivery.

Thats not the experience of the UK class 350 Desiro units , which apart from working from day 1 , have proven to be extremly reliable units in all respects - I rate Siemmens for quality

They look very similar to the AVE trainsets bought by the Spanish. Them and their Talgo counterparts are actually certified for speeds of 350 kph, but due to signalling shortcomings they will never reach such speeds in regular service in Spain. Still, smart-looking beasts.

They're a variant of Siemens' "Velaro" model, shich has been sold to multiple European railways, including Spain. You'll find the same train in all sorts of colours everywhere :)
They do look good alright.

It's a shame they weren't picked for the Ashford-London high speed commuting line. Those trains 'only' reach 145 mph, right? As the line is 186 mph capable, it seems a bit of a waste.

I wonder if they have the thing that the ICE3 trains have, where you can sit behind the driver's cabin and see out the front via a glazed wall.

Feeling sceptical: are these the ones with motors underneath? And no full train walk through?

Bah. I'll learn to love them. The current stock is tired but still charming. I love the soundless drift as it starts moving. Like HSTs. Motors at the ends ftw :)

Oh and yeah the new stock exterior looks awesome, but would be good to see the interior. Not expecting the horrow show of FGW refit, or Pendolino inverse tardis, but would be good to see inside nonetheless.

If it's not yet obvious, I *fucking love* the service. If they did some kind of season ticket, I'd be on it most weeks.

Feeling sceptical: are these the ones with motors underneath? And no full train walk through?

Bah. I'll learn to love them. The current stock is tired but still charming. I love the soundless drift as it starts moving. Like HSTs. Motors at the ends ftw :)

Yes! Seconded. It's gradually becoming rare to enjoy the no motors under the floor experience.

That and openable windows :(

Yes! Seconded. It's gradually becoming rare to enjoy the no motors under the floor experience.

That and openable windows :(

We are going backwards.

Which, as it happens, was that experience in an un motored carriage, with another train next to us. :)

(Oh and eff off opening windows. Usually means rolling stock with no aircon. Great. A two hour journey with wind. Fab.)

:)

Is that why they're so much more quiet than the Edinburgh-London leg when I go over and visit my folks? That's confused me every time :oops:

Is that why they're so much more quiet than the Edinburgh-London leg when I go over and visit my folks? That's confused me every time :oops:

Not sure, someone more knowledgeable will chip in, but I thought East Coast was/is our slopey nosed HSTs?

Back
Top Bottom