Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Nantgaredig murder trial

planetgeli

There's no future in England's dreaming
Yeah, not sure this will garner much interest but it's local to me and has been the subject of considerable gossip at work, not least because the accused is known to a couple of people I work with.

Quick summary. Millionaire building company owner has best mate who is also pretty rich. Best mate has affair with millionaire's wife. Millionaire finds out (in September 2019) and kills best mate (in Jan 2020).

Accused denies murder despite looking (I'm being polite here) as guilty as fuck. His defence is he only wanted to scare his mate by firing shots into the ground but somehow seems to have shot his face off. Then cut up the body, decanting (? in acid?) parts in oil drums at his home. Constantly denying knowledge of everything (it took the police a while to find evidence of a body, which largely amounts to small parts of decanted intestine and bone) despite having a very public 'row' with his wife where he basically beat her up in public at a rugby club social.

Bit fucking grim but I'm always amazed at murderer's nothing to lose gambits.

Plus there's nothing wrong with having 'Nantgaredig' in an Urban thread title.

Ongoing trial. Read Wales online for best coverage.

It's made the BBC too.

I've worked with a couple of people from Nant and stayed there once or twice.

Very glad to hear neither are involved

Is there a variant which means unkindly stream? That'd be more fitting to the unfortunate story.

Ah-ha-ha. You really want to know how difficult Welsh is?

That would be angharedig (unkindly) - so nantangharedig.

Get this.

Garedig is already mutated from caredig (soft mutation - caredig would be kindly)

But to go to unkindly requires another mutation (nasal mutation) turning the g into ngh. Angharedig.

Still following? Probably not.

Took his time about it if it was supposed to be some kind of crime passionel.

Well, quite.

Which is why he wouldn't even get that defence in France, let alone Wales, and the prosecution is having to go through an expensive trial to prove careful (though ultimately futile) planning.

All of which is going to lead to a higher tariff than if he just raised his hand and went 'yeah, shit sorry'.

Which is why I said I'm always amazed by 'nothing to lose' gambits. Because he obviously has about another 10 years to lose.

I've also got some 'gossip' which I could preface with allegedly but I think I'll wait until the end of the trial for editor sake. But it adds to the 'wtf?' element a bit.

Ah-ha-ha. You really want to know how difficult Welsh is?

That would be angharedig (unkindly) - so nantangharedig.

Get this.

Garedig is already mutated from caredig (soft mutation - caredig would be kindly)

But to go to unkindly requires another mutation (nasal mutation) turning the g into ngh. Angharedig.

Still following? Probably not.
Nah, that makes sense (sort of, as an English speaker). The different languages of the isles has always been an interesting thing above all else so it's great to hear about non-English stuff. Me mam was able to speak Scots Gaelic as it was her mam's mother tongue, but sadly I wasn't taught it which is a shame. :(

Nah, that makes sense (sort of, as an English speaker). The different languages of the isles has always been an interesting thing above all else so it's great to hear about non-English stuff. Me mam was able to speak Scots Gaelic as it was her mam's mother tongue, but sadly I wasn't taught it which is a shame. :(
It's not too late to learn

This is the list of firearms seized by police:

• .22 Colt rifle
  • An Enfield rifle
  • Kruger rifle
  • ArmaLite rifle
  • .233 Southern gun rifle
  • 12 bore shotgun
  • 12 bore pump-action shotgun
  • 12 bore Berreta shotgun
Liked his guns. Do some of these simply look like collectors items (any gun experts in the house?)

Armalite? Enfield? Aren't these proper war guns used by the IRA and the British Army?

• .22 Colt rifle
  • An Enfield rifle
  • Kruger rifle
  • ArmaLite rifle
  • 12 bore shotgun
Liked his guns. Do some of these simply look like collectors items (any gun experts in the house?)

Armalite? Enfield? Aren't these proper war guns used by the IRA and the British Army?

Quite well covered on the BBC site , I dare say the local press are all over it. (assuming you still have local papers down there)

The late , great Wynford Vaughan-Thomas used to say there was nothing as soft as a Carmarthen jury - but that was in another century.

• .22 Colt rifle
  • An Enfield rifle
  • Kruger rifle
  • ArmaLite rifle
  • 12 bore shotgun

It's gun nut/loon territory.

The .22 Colt rifle is an adaptation of the M-16 (Armalite) rifle - it uses a slightly smaller, but vastly cheaper, round.

The Enfield rifle is a WWI/II rifle - you can use it for hunting, it can be a very accurate rifle with a very powerful round - but it's pretty heavy. It's a collectors weapon.

The only caveat is that reporters - and very often coppers - know fuck all about firearms and wouldn't know a shotgun from a machine gun. The list they've used illustrates that - the Colt and the Armalite might (depending of what marks/models) be indistinguishable from each other without close inspection, and there's no reason to pick out a Berreta shotgun Vs any other shotgun.

(M-16 derivatives are used as hunting rifles, primarily in the US - it's cheap, fairly simple, economic, fairly accurate and uses cheap ammunition - but not in the UK.)

Nantycaws always used to make me chuckle.

That place actually stinks, because of the refuse tip, so I guess it's well named.

In court news, trying to be careful what I say, IMO, allegedly etc...Jones's defence is outrageous and stinks like Nantycaws. He's painting himself as the loving husband who wouldn't hurt a fly. I think the easiest thing to say here is that I don't believe a single word he's said in court and I'll be amazed if a jury do. He's not even trying for manslaughter, just outright denial it could possibly have been him. Admits lying to the police in his first statement. But he panicked. Gun must have gone off accidentally but not in his hands. O'Leary was only his 5th or 6th best friend despite holidaying with him every year. Hasn't come up with an explanation for having 10g of O'Leary's intestine in a burnt oil drum at his home. Put loads of surveillance on his wife and recruited his daughter to help him. Told his mates he 'hoped' O'Leary was partying in Spain when he knew he'd driven his dead body back to his house. After trying to make it look like O'Leary had commit suicide by driving his car to the river.

Don't they throw away the key when you waste public money on a trial like this?

Let's just say local people are saying both him and O'Leary were nasty pieces of work, but one has proved themselves a bit nastier than the other. Allegedly.

Still two weeks of this to go apparently as well.

That place actually stinks, because of the refuse tip, so I guess it's well named.

In court news, trying to be careful what I say, IMO, allegedly etc...Jones's defence is outrageous and stinks like Nantycaws. He's painting himself as the loving husband who wouldn't hurt a fly. I think the easiest thing to say here is that I don't believe a single word he's said in court and I'll be amazed if a jury do. He's not even trying for manslaughter, just outright denial it could possibly have been him. Admits lying to the police in his first statement. But he panicked. Gun must have gone off accidentally but not in his hands. O'Leary was only his 5th or 6th best friend despite holidaying with him every year. Hasn't come up with an explanation for having 10g of O'Leary's intestine in a burnt oil drum at his home. Put loads of surveillance on his wife and recruited his daughter to help him. Told his mates he 'hoped' O'Leary was partying in Spain when he knew he'd driven his dead body back to his house. After trying to make it look like O'Leary had commit suicide by driving his car to the river.

Don't they throw away the key when you waste public money on a trial like this?

Let's just say local people are saying both him and O'Leary were nasty pieces of work, but one has proved themselves a bit nastier than the other. Allegedly.

Still two weeks of this to go apparently as well.
The only sanction against "wasting public money" on a trial like this is that there will be no discount for a guilty plea. But I think it is really important that justice is seen to be done, and that the case against him is made forensically and comprehensively. Then, if he's convicted, it will hopefully be on the strength of a case which can't be dismissed or explained away.

On a more general note, I looked that farm up on Google maps - it's on a little dead end road, off another little road, off another fairly small road, tucked into the corner between the Towy and a small river called the Cothi. It's really not somewhere you'd ever end up by accident, or just happen to be passing - we're talking pretty remote, here. There are quite a few corners of Carmarthenshire like that - you could drive past them a dozen times, and never know they were there.

The only sanction against "wasting public money" on a trial like this is that there will be no discount for a guilty plea. But I think it is really important that justice is seen to be done, and that the case against him is made forensically and comprehensively. Then, if he's convicted, it will hopefully be on the strength of a case which can't be dismissed or explained away.

On a more general note, I looked that farm up on Google maps - it's on a little dead end road, off another little road, off another fairly small road, tucked into the corner between the Towy and a small river called the Cothi. It's really not somewhere you'd ever end up by accident, or just happen to be passing - we're talking pretty remote, here. There are quite a few corners of Carmarthenshire like that - you could drive past them a dozen times, and never know they were there.

Yes, the no discount thing is what I was saying...throw away the key. I can't see any other outcome.

There's loads of places like you describe btw just within 5 miles of where I live. (And that farm, the one in Nantgaredig, is about 5 miles from where I live). I was driving around a few weeks ago and, after being here 17 years, still managed to find a whole section of countryside I'd never come across. I remember a local telling me when I moved here that locals can still get lost up the hill behind my house. Between me and a place called Llanfynydd is a big hill with countless single track roads and absolutely no roadsigns. There's about a million different ways from my house to Llanfynydd and therefore a million different ways to get lost.

And it's beautiful.

Yes, the no discount thing is what I was saying...throw away the key. I can't see any other outcome.

There's loads of places like you describe btw just within 5 miles of where I live. (And that farm, the one in Nantgaredig, is about 5 miles from where I live). I was driving around a few weeks ago and, after being here 17 years, still managed to find a whole section of countryside I'd never come across. I remember a local telling me when I moved here that locals can still get lost up the hill behind my house. Between me and a place called Llanfynydd is a big hill with countless single track roads and absolutely no roadsigns. There's about a million different ways from my house to Llanfynydd and therefore a million different ways to get lost.

And it's beautiful.
The roads between Laugharne, Pendine, and Rhosgoch are similar - a maze of twisty lanes, all alike, running through hills and valleys like deep-buttoned upholstery. It's a bit fabulous, until you hear the stories about the stepmum killed by her stepchild with a sword (just up the road to St Clears), cases like the Nantgaredig one, and a bit further over, the chip shop bloke from Hermon (Pembs) who was accused (but acquitted) of killing his wife by dunking her face in the deep fat fryer... :eek:.

Back
Top Bottom