Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

My 'mental map' of Brixton is upside down.

colin37400 said:
This reminds me of an argument about when you can say "I'm going up to London" ....

From Croydon, yes.
From brighton, yes.
From Stevenage ... yes, apparently
From Glasgow, no. You're definitely going down to London.
From Birmingham, I don't think so. Controversial.
From Oxford ... maybe.

by train, towards London is always "up". So you take the up train down from Glasgow, and when you go back up to Oxford at the start of term you take the down train.

But no one ever goes "up" to Birmingham.

fortyplus said:
by train, towards London is always "up". So you take the up train down from Glasgow, and when you go back up to Oxford at the start of term you take the down train.

But no one ever goes "up" to Birmingham.

It's true that as far as trains are concerned, "up" is towards London, or towards the more major metropolis if London isn't involved in the journey.

They could go "up" to Birmingham from Solihul on a local "up" train but it would be a "down" train if it was on its way from London.

And you would catch the down train from Euston to Birmingham. But I don't think anyone would say they're going "down" to Birmingham if they were leaving from London.

And an american would confuse the matter by going up to London and saying they were going downtown.

ianw said:
I think it's pretty hard to get the map the wrong way around when you live on Brixton Hill. The first thing you see looking down the hill up here is the Gherkin - a good reminder of which way's north.

But the real question, surely, is where exactly does Brixton Hill start? I met a guy the other week who said he lived on Brixton Hill - turned out he meant near Lambeth College, which doesn't feel like the hill at all to me. More Brixton Slopes.

nasw tht'a Brixton Hill alright; you live in Brixton Heights and if you ever want tio sell your property please contact twisted Estate Agents and we will get you a tremendous price as right now first time buyers really want goood porperties in the desirable East Clapham/Brixton Heights area

drag0n said:
I think oval actually counts as kennington you know. Possibly. The first 6 years of my life were spent on what I thought was Oval Road but turns out to actually be Kennington Oval (SE11). hmmm

I remember getting confused by the fact the address for Brixton Tate Library is:
Tate Library
Brixton Oval
London SW2 1JQ

For a while I thought there must a main library at Oval (probably a really big one with loads of reference books and facilities ;) ) until I realised it just meant Brixton Library :oops: .

(My mental map of Brixton is conventionally aligned and north-facing btw)

god, we never had this problem when i lived in the east. people in the east know which way is up ffs.

twisted said:
nasw tht'a Brixton Hill alright; you live in Brixton Heights and if you ever want tio sell your property please contact twisted Estate Agents and we will get you a tremendous price as right now first time buyers really want goood porperties in the desirable East Clapham/Brixton Heights area

splendid! we must discuss it in the hive over cocktails.

re the east clapham border, i used to live on solon road, one up from plato road, off acre lane. solon road itself was in sw2, but as soon as you went down to the end of the road towards clapham north, you were in sw4. i think kings ave is a good cut off point.

drag0n said:
The Oval is a real place. :p I just didn't realise it was kennington oval. Makes it sounds like there's two. Sorry sir, did you mean kennington oval or acton oval? y'know?

fuck, don't start that. if they had an acton oval, i know i would be loking out my window at it

ianw said:
I think it's pretty hard to get the map the wrong way around when you live on Brixton Hill. The first thing you see looking down the hill up here is the Gherkin - a good reminder of which way's north.

But the real question, surely, is where exactly does Brixton Hill start? I met a guy the other week who said he lived on Brixton Hill - turned out he meant near Lambeth College, which doesn't feel like the hill at all to me. More Brixton Slopes.

Yes, but the Gherkin's new. I've been in Brixton Hill for over 20 years :p

But at least now I'll remember where North is. Thanks for the tip ;)

twisted said:
nasw tht'a Brixton Hill alright; you live in Brixton Heights and if you ever want tio sell your property please contact twisted Estate Agents

Oh, I feel all yuppified now :oops:

I'm forever getting those letters from estate agents. Twats. It's a bloody Housing Association Flat :rolleyes:

I defo live at THE OVAL. It starts at the tube station, and runs down as far as Kelly's (newly repainted) pub, South Island Place-ish.

Beyond that be Stockwell (although technically I also live in the boundary for the Stockwell Partnership's definition of St Ockwell.)

The Oval isn't really a place though. The area around the tube station has more recently been named the Oval due to it's proximity to the cricket ground......but the Oval really is considered part of Kennington..not to dissimilar to Brixton Hill being a part of Brixton. The actual area is historically known as Kennington Oval.

Everything around the area has Kennington connections, such as the Church, which is actually named St Marks of Kennington Oval.

Sorry for being so anal! ;)

Back
Top Bottom