Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

My 'mental map' of Brixton is upside down.

Minnie_the_Minx said:
If your looking from Brixton Hill it is :p
Well, obviously. That would be the sensible way round to draw a map, with North dacing up, ike everyone else. This is what makes mine weird.

Minnie_the_Minx said:
But it's NOT really is it. Just because it has a tube station. It's either Brixton, Stockwell or Kennington. Which area EXACTLY is Oval?

The area around the tube station and by the cricket ground - the estate there, the gasworks, the end of Brixton Road, the church there and its grounds, the pubs at the start of Clapham Road - all Oval.

Dubversion said:
The area around the tube station and by the cricket ground - the estate there, the gasworks, the end of Brixton Road, the church there and its grounds, the pubs at the start of Clapham Road - all Oval.

I've NEVER come across it written down in any address anywhere

Minnie_the_Minx said:
I've NEVER come across it written down in any address anywhere
But then, London addresses tend to omit the local area name. They tend to go

Mr Blah Blah
123 Yadda Yadda Street
London
P0ST COD3

Rather than:

Mr Blah Blah
123 Yadda Yadda Street
Oval
London
P0ST COD3

poster342002 said:
Bu then, London addresses tend to omit the local area name. They tend to go

Mr Blah Blah
Yadda Yadda Street
London
P0ST COD3

Rahter than:

Mr Blah Blah
Yadda Yadda Street
Oval
London
P0ST COD3

well that's probably why I get so much mail delivered to me, because people can't be bothered to use the full address :mad:

I always put Brixton in my address so my post doesn't end up in Elm Park, Chelsea

gaijingirl said:
When I was living on Plato Road (off Acre Lane which is more or less opposite the Horse and Coaches) and AFAIC and the PO is most definitely Brixton and not Clapham, I met someone who, response to me saying that I lived in Brixton, slagged off Brixton and said Clapham was much nicer. Turned out she lived on Corrance Road.. a couple of roads further east and towards Brixton town centre... :D

i used to live on branksome road and as a joke we called the area clapham east.

scotlander said:
i used to live on branksome road and as a joke we called the area clapham east.
You're not the only ones. Estate agents have been doing it for years. I wonder how far East a property has been described as "East Clapham"?

Probably somewhere beyond the barrier block :)

poster342002 said:
Surely Tesco is nearer to Brixton's most westerly point?

I'd also say that:

Loughborough Junction is it's most easterly (although some would say it's not quite part of Brixton as such).

The junction between Brixton Road and Loughborough Road is it's most northerly point.

Brixton Hill it's southernmost point.

Perhaps more controversially, I tend to think of Victoria as being South London's northernmost point (yes, I know it's actually over the river)!
I meant my mental map, which is about 45 degrees out.

Crispy said:
You're not the only ones. Estate agents have been doing it for years. I wonder how far East a property has been described as "East Clapham"?

Probably somewhere beyond the barrier block :)

I wonder how far into streatham into streatham a property has been described as brixton.....i have seen loads of agents do this.

they always think that clapham is better than brixton and brixton is better than streatham.

I am looking for flat at the moment and fed up clicking on the map link to find out the property is not in the area described at all.

My map is completely the right way up. I think not going near the hill and being from north brixton has something to do with it.

I think oval actually counts as kennington you know. Possibly. The first 6 years of my life were spent on what I thought was Oval Road but turns out to actually be Kennington Oval (SE11). hmmm

Well, taxi drivers knew where to go when I asked to take me home to Oval, so it's a real place. Ner.

Crispy said:
Well, taxi drivers knew where to go when I asked to take me home to Oval, so it's a real place. Ner.

The Oval is a real place. :p I just didn't realise it was kennington oval. Makes it sounds like there's two. Sorry sir, did you mean kennington oval or acton oval? y'know?

I'm with you on this one. I'm just saying that streetmap isn't. I like saying round oval. I went to primary school 'round oval. Ho hum... :)

The westernmost border of Brixton is Kings Ave - Bedford Road.

You can tell you are in Brixton because everyone drives different in Brixton. It starts when you come along Clapham Park Road and cross the lights where it becomes Acre Lane. Immediately the driving stops being Clapham driving and becomes Brixton driving.

btw any estate agent who says I live in East Clapham can fuck right off. We have had lodgers who told their parents that they lived in Clapham though.

When I used to live off stockwell road, my mental map of Brixton was all upside down (ie I would tend to draw it with Brixton Hill at the top)

But now I live off brixton Hill, it's the "right" way up. Most of the time, anyway.

This reminds me of an argument about when you can say "I'm going up to London" ....

From Croydon, yes.
From brighton, yes.
From Stevenage ... yes, apparently
From Glasgow, no. You're definitely going down to London.
From Birmingham, I don't think so. Controversial.
From Oxford ... maybe.

My mental map's not upside down but whenever I talk about going to Brixton (from Streatham), I always say I'm going 'down' to Brixton and 'up' to West Croydon. I reckon it's cos of Brixton Hill and the fact that my flat faces South so I think of North as South... because it's behind me.. iyswim... :confused:

I think it's pretty hard to get the map the wrong way around when you live on Brixton Hill. The first thing you see looking down the hill up here is the Gherkin - a good reminder of which way's north.

But the real question, surely, is where exactly does Brixton Hill start? I met a guy the other week who said he lived on Brixton Hill - turned out he meant near Lambeth College, which doesn't feel like the hill at all to me. More Brixton Slopes.

fortyplus said:
The westernmost border of Brixton is Kings Ave - Bedford Road.

You can tell you are in Brixton because everyone drives different in Brixton. It starts when you come along Clapham Park Road and cross the lights where it becomes Acre Lane. Immediately the driving stops being Clapham driving and becomes Brixton driving.

btw any estate agent who says I live in East Clapham can fuck right off. We have had lodgers who told their parents that they lived in Clapham though.

See I think that makes sense the King's Ave border - and definitely agree about the driving which is why for me the border is just a little way on at the 100 pub because that little parade of shops where Stuart's cycles is the place where I really notice the change in driving... ie cars park 2 to 3 abreast outside the chicken shop etc etc..

Sand and the other places that have sprung up are very Clapham but for me it's once you get as far as Verso that it really changes.

Back
Top Bottom