Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

My electricity bill has just tripled: how about yours? Alternative suppliers?

So does every fucker else mate that's the problem. The banks, utility companies and the supermarkets know all these tricks.
every week doing my local food shop the prices on something have increased. At this point almost everything I buy has gone up. Today, a pack of chicken went up 45p to just under £3

There is no end in sight.

Think of a number and double it

I think people need to go back to school and study Maths. (Highly unlikely I guess)
What I had in mind was Diffentiation and Integration ("The Calculus")
Seems whenever a spot price of gas changes both Ovo Energy and the commentators multiply a sub-zero winter day by 365. They are not taking into account the seasonal variation, indeed they do not seem to have a model of household consumption at all --- or at least I hope that's it!

I knew someone who worked for the council in Plymouth who swore blind that in properties with damp opening the windows for 20 minutes, when it wasn't raining or too windy, helped blow away the damp air. Then shut the windows. The drier air will heat up relatively quickly. The heat of the fabric of the house, walls, carpets, furniture etc won't have been affected at all. Never had to try this out, but sounds plausible.
In general yes, but I'm not sure how much difference it makes in those winter weeks where the outside air never drops below 80% humidity. I said "fuck it" and bought a dehumidifier. It's nothing short of miraculous, but it ain't cheap to run - even though it's one of the most energy efficient models.

Mine's 300W desiccant wheel. Is really good, particularly in winter blows out slightly warm air to take the edge off if not too cold.

It's no fucking wonder that bulb are in "financial difficulties" - I've finally switched to a variable direct debit - my last statement, dated 22d July (<£68) still hasn't been taken from my account and it's the 10th of fucking August . . . it's called, cashflow I believe and they really don't have a handle on it

British Gas have gone completely fucking doo-lally
Back in October they insisted on me putting up my gas payment from £68 to £95 per month and my electric payment from £95 to £115 per month so I wouldn't owe them any money at the 'end of my plan'
Checking idly last night to see what my balance might be I see the following messages

You are currently paying £94.63 per month. We need to reduce this so we don't owe you any money at the end of your plan. We recommend you should pay £22.45 to stay on track.(gas)
You are currently paying £115.01 per month. We need to reduce this so we don't owe you any money at the end of your plan. We recommend you should pay £42.09 to stay on track.(electric)

I think this is probably because my credit balance gets added to my account monthly and my debit balance only gets added when they send me a statement. I have a suspicion that if I do lower it then come the next statement they will be demanding my first born as payment.

Make them a offer, first born to cover everything up to next summer, bargain. :thumbs:
Alas I no longer have her, she has long since abandoned her father's hearth and proud family name for that of another man. I could offer them my fourth born whom I have not yet got rid of but it's a coin toss between them forcing me to take her back or her becoming the CEO of BG and wreaking revenge.

The Queen is going to shank Mick Lynch?
You mean thank Mick Lynch?
Seriously Richard II and Elizabeth II are not comparable.
Richard II was a naïve monarch from the era when kings were demi-gods and their peasants in awe.
I don't see Elizabeth R getting involved in paying or not paying the gas bill - and the punishment thereof.

Yes, I know we're not "building up a buffer" for the heavier winter usage - but the money is staying with me and not with bulb

Once the bulb debacle is sorted out I intend to switch back to a normal DD rather than my current Variable DD

I had forgotten that Bulb is in a pickle, found this update from 6 days ago.

The taxpayer bailout of the failed energy supplier Bulb is on course to cost more than if the company had been immediately broken up by Ofgem, analysis by The Telegraph shows.

Bulb collapsed in November after failing to buy energy far enough in advance, leaving it exposed to rocketing wholesale prices.

It subsequently became the first supplier to be put into “special administration” after Ofgem, the industry watchdog, warned that doing so was “essential”.

Keeping the company going cost taxpayers £1.2bn last financial year, according to the Office for Budget Responsibility, and could cost another £1bn more this year.

:mad:

Meanwhile, it has been reported that the Government could sell Bulb to Octopus Energy, the only bidder, reportedly for as little as £100m - putting the public purse on course for overall costs of more than £2bn.

This is more than Ofgem predicted it would cost consumers through their energy bills if the company had instead been allowed to fail through the so-called supplier of last resort mechanism (SOLR), analysis by the Telegraph shows.

In papers submitted for Bulb’s administration, Ofgem said following the SOLR process, where Bulb’s customers would have been transferred to other energy companies, would have cost £1.28bn in total.

Paywall busted link - archive.ph

Due to a fuck up by our electricity supplier (Eon) we over paid over the last year or so by around £800 (we submit a reading once a month) so we are ahead on that. We aren't on a fixed term deal , never bothered tbh.

Gas we pay 3 monthly , so that will hit us when winter hits.

Have never paid by DD , don't like DDs really, try to avoid them.

Back
Top Bottom