Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

My electricity bill has just tripled: how about yours? Alternative suppliers?

My next bill is due mid April so I suspect that is when they will tell me what my new payments are going to be however yesterday on the new tariffs I checked at 23.30 just before going bed and I had used about £8 in gas and electric on day 1 of the new mega-tariffs

I've got onto step change to reduce my payments on loans. Nothing else for it. And covid has put drunk HC's gas at a peep so I'll hopefully be saving on that too. My standing charge has gone up to 55p a day, projected annual bill from 1458 to 2026 quid a year aaahh

I wonder if we're going to see a sharp increase in people bypassing their meters, as the pain intensifies? Of course, anyone who's had a smart meter installed is going to find that pretty difficult to get away with, without extreme caution.

I am using about £10.00 a week on electric and something less than that on gas.

However I have no way it seems of knowing how much I am being charged per unit. All I know is that I now have £60.00 credit on my electric meter. It doesn't even say on the receipt how many units I have bought. Grr ..

Rich people bleating about how expensive its going to be to heat really large houses. It wont be long till we hear some cunt saying how people living in small flats are actually getting off easy and how they should perhaps be supporting the large house people in some way.

My joint electricity/gas account balance is currently showing -£108, and an estimate that I'll be at -£639 in 12 months at the new rates.

That was on 21st March, just under 2 weeks later it's now showing -£215, and an estimate that I'll be at -£707 in 12 months at the new rates.

I've no idea how the hell they have worked that out. :hmm:

Rich people bleating about how expensive its going to be to heat really large houses. It wont be long till we hear some cunt saying how people living in small flats are actually getting off easy and how they should perhaps be supporting the large house people in some way.
Well my combined DD for my smallish 2 bedroom flat is going up to a staggering £55 a month (but not until May when my fixed rate ends). So I don't feel too bad about living here and not some big house at the moment.

14 quid to about 20.

the squeezed five bedroom and a garage class

That article seems to contain a certain amount of nonsense, implying that the big energy producers' increased profits won't be taxed, and also that the rises seen by consumers are entirely on account of increased profits rather than underlying energy prices.

That article seems to contain a certain amount of nonsense, implying that the big energy producers' increased profits won't be taxed, and also that the rises seen by consumers are entirely on account of increased profits rather than underlying energy prices.
You can be sure that the profits of the energy companies will not be taxed anywhere near as hard as the salaries of those paying their utility bills...

It's possible for the energy companies to absorb some of the extra cost and still make the same profit in £££'s that they were making before however received wisdom in the boardroom is that profit in %'s is more important, an attitude that isn't going to change without being forced.
Mass foot dragging is a strategy that's doomed though. To do it you need to have the cash to hand to pay the bill when your timewasting options run out. Doable maybe in summer but come winter you get a massive bill which you will have to find the money for from somewhere. DD's are essentially an interest free loan that enables people to smooth the cost out over the year repaying big bills from last winter in the summer months and running up credit for the next one.

Last edited:
It's possible for the energy companies to absorb some of the extra cost and still make the same profit in £££'s that they were making before however received wisdom in the boardroom is that profit in %'s is more important, an attitude that isn't oing to change without being forced.
Mass foot dragging is a strategy that's doomed though. To do it you need to have the cash to hand to pay the bill when your timewasting options run out. Doable maybe in summer but come winter you get a massive bill which you will have to find the money for from somewhere. DD's are essentially an interest free loan that enables people to smooth the cost out over the year repaying big bills from last winter in the summer months and running up credit for the next one.
True, but quite often, it feels like we're making the loan to the power company...

You can be sure that the profits of the energy companies will not be taxed anywhere near as hard as the salaries of those paying their utility bills...
That may or may not be a meaningful comparison to make, but it's got nothing to do with the question of whether what is written in that article is nonsense.

That may or may not be a meaningful comparison to make, but it's got nothing to do with the question of whether what is written in that article is nonsense.
You're absolutely right, particularly since I was not attempting to suggest that what is written in that article is nonsense.

That was on 21st March, just under 2 weeks later it's now showing -£215, and an estimate that I'll be at -£707 in 12 months at the new rates.

I've no idea how the hell they have worked that out. :hmm:

24 hours later, the estimate is up another £64 to -£771 in 12 months!

If I am using £64 a day, I'll be owing £23,360 in a year. :cool:

Back
Top Bottom