Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

My electricity bill has just tripled: how about yours? Alternative suppliers?

If you have an unsuitable roof but space in the garden you can mount the solar panels on the ground. Cheaper to install and maintain and less grass to cut, but it still provides a habitat underneath for creepy crawlies, blackbirds, hedgehogs etc.
The ones I see in the countryside usually have sheep grazing around and underneath

Asked my surveyor friend about them this morning. He told me that a lot of new builds have restrictive covenants about erecting solar panels. Because a uniform housing estate is more important obviously

how heavy are solar panels?

mum-tat has had something about them (some sort of scheme that lewisham council are doing) but she's not convinced it would be a good idea - house is 1930s and she is concerned it might lead to damage of roof.
Is that via Solar Together? Surrey were doing something similar. I even got a quote last year but it seemed more expensive (£7k including battery storage) than I imagined even with the supposed "discount". The energy savings at the time were lower than I expected and would have had a payback time of nearly 15 years! Of course, with the increases in energy prices now that time period will have reduced.
The problem with these schemes, and the main reason most people never went with them in the first place when the Govt and energy companies were shoving them down our throats, is that there ends up being tons of dodgy companies that set up exclusively to take the govt cash, and then vanish. Your warranty goes goes down the pan and then there was all this 'you might not be able to sell your house' crap.

Everything set up by Govt/Councils just ends up being a fucking nightmare with red tape bullshit that lingers for years. Solar Panels should be affordable and easy to install with proper warranties regardless of who installs them these days. But, no.
The uncertainty over the installation company and the products they were using was part of the reason I was reluctant to take it any further.

I remember with one of the earlier schemes to improve energy efficiency I looked at the list of government backed suppliers and none of them were names I'd heard of.

I was always deeply suspicious of the approach that Government took to this whole solar thing. As ever, it seemed less about kickstarting mass adoption of renewables, and more about funnelling revenue through a small number of profit-making companies, who - surprise, surprise - ended up costing the whole thing in a way which maximised profit over doing the best thing in terms of reducing fossil fuel consumption.

I was always deeply suspicious of the approach that Government took to this whole solar thing. As ever, it seemed less about kickstarting mass adoption of renewables, and more about funnelling revenue through a small number of profit-making companies, who - surprise, surprise - ended up costing the whole thing in a way which maximised profit over doing the best thing in terms of reducing fossil fuel consumption.
I remember readin a while back that a lot of the solar panels are made in China under less than ideal ethical and environmental circumstances. Hoping that if true things have changed more recently.

I remember readin a while back that a lot of the solar panels are made in China under less than ideal ethical and environmental circumstances. Hoping that if true things have changed more recently.

Nah WTO rules enforce competition ensuring that cheapest suppliers from abroad win.

Yes:

I really hadn't realized how bad they are, but there have been recent articles, eg: Wood burning at home now biggest cause of UK particle pollution
Finally got round to reading these articles. two sheds article is out of date and platinumsage is more up to date and points out errors in the first article. The levels of pm2.5 has been more than halved to 17% from 38% due to assumptions during the survey. Even the updated survey is an estimate based on how owners of woodburners answered the questions. No actual measuring of particulates appears to have been done.

If pm2.5 is bad for asthma then how come cases of asthma were lower in the 50's - 70's when most homes were still burning coal / coke? :hmm: 50 years of asthma: UK trends from 1955 to 2004 | Thorax (download pdf and look at fig2)

Anecdotally my woodburner is in the dining room at the back of the house. The gutters and window / doorframes have very little dirt on them. The front gutters, window / doorframes are always covered in a sticky black dust due to being next to a main road and bus route.

Anecdotally ...

Our log burner produces a lot less smoke than the open fire did, even with similar wood as fuel.

The least smoke is on a day with enough wind to keep the fire drawing well, and with well-seasoned & dry hardwood.
The most smoke is from a day without much wind, so the fire doesn't draw properly and attempting to burn sappy, green / resinous and physically wet / dirty softwood.

Anecdotally ...

Our log burner produces a lot less smoke than the open fire did, even with similar wood as fuel.

The least smoke is on a day with enough wind to keep the fire drawing well, and with well-seasoned & dry hardwood.
The most smoke is from a day without much wind, so the fire doesn't draw properly and attempting to burn sappy, green / resinous and physically wet / dirty softwood.
Not supposed to burn wet wood. :(
Only time I get smoke out of mine is for the first few minutes after lighting it.

Not supposed to burn wet wood. :(
Only time I get smoke out of mine is for the first few minutes after lighting it.
I know, but sometimes whoever collected the logs went to the wrong pile !
and some of the unseasoned pile actually looks dry after it's been cut a few months.

We also did some tests last year ...

Finally got round to reading these articles. two sheds article is out of date and platinumsage is more up to date and points out errors in the first article. The levels of pm2.5 has been more than halved to 17% from 38% due to assumptions during the survey.
Yes, I read that more recent article, too. It still estimates that wood burners release more particulates than traffic despite having far fewer people using them. It still has several passages that emphasize how bad they are.
“Even after this revision, home use of solid fuel is one of the top two sources of particle pollution in the UK, coming from just 8% of UK homes,” said Gary Fuller, at Imperial College London and a member of the Air Quality Expert Group that advises the government.

Even the updated survey is an estimate based on how owners of woodburners answered the questions. No actual measuring of particulates appears to have been done.
Not from that article:
The government data on wood burning pollution is based on laboratory tests of stoves. Fuller said: “We need to remember the lessons from VW and dieselgate, where the air pollution produced in the real world was much greater than those in official tests. Data from New Zealand tells us that the same applies to wood burners, with the way that we light fires and the fuels that we use tending to lead to more air pollution than we expect from official tests.”
“What is staggering is the increase between 2010 and 2020,” said Simon Birkett, of the campaign group Clean Air in London. “There’s still a really big problem. It’s a public health catastrophe, so wood-burning stoves need to be banned urgently. The first step should be to stop the sale or installation of them.”

Other recent research has shown that wood-burning stoves in urban areas are responsible for almost half of people’s exposure to the cancer-causing chemicals found in air pollution particles. Even wood-burning stoves meeting the new “ecodesign” standard still emit 750 times more tiny particles than a modern HGV truck, another study found, while wood burners also triple the level of harmful pollution inside homes and should be sold with a health warning, according to scientists.

If pm2.5 is bad for asthma then how come cases of asthma were lower in the 50's - 70's when most homes were still burning coal / coke? :hmm: 50 years of asthma: UK trends from 1955 to 2004 | Thorax (download pdf and look at fig2)

Anecdotally my woodburner is in the dining room at the back of the house. The gutters and window / doorframes have very little dirt on them. The front gutters, window / doorframes are always covered in a sticky black dust due to being next to a main road and bus route.
Dunno, there are presumably more causes of asthma than just woodburning stoves. There are loads more chemicals around in the house, that may be a factor. I looked at the pdf but it doesn't mention wood, coal or (that I could see) causes of asthma.

Anecdotally I grew up in a house with an open fire and remember the permanent smell of coal dust. My sis recently told me that having seen me get attacks, when she was a doctor at first she didn't think that someone's asthma was too serious unless their face went blue.

It's all a balance, and I'd love to keep using my rayburn, particularly since the wood I've been getting is from woodland management. Wood is renewable and carbon neutral (unless it's somewhere like Drax which uses wood cut down from forests) while gas isn't and as I say there's no gas where I am anyway. The equation has also been distorted by the government having subsidized fossil fuels.

I'm not really intending to tell other people what they should do, I'm more saying why I'm planning to do what I'm doing.That article said the major problem was from woodburning in urban areas while I'm rural. I don't have a car so woodburning would be by far my major contribution to particulates. My asthma isn't going to be helped by burning wood although I do try to keep the rayburn door closed as much as I can, and I'd only be using the rayburn from around December to March, when I need to heat the house so I might as well cook with it too.

I saw somewhere else that we could cut out Russian gas in the UK by installing more solar energy (I think it was) and heat pumps. Ideally I'd like a battery solar system developing enough to power heat pumps in the evening but that's unlikely during winter, so as I say I'm still not sure what's best.

It's interesting that on the website a couple of pages back that tracks local particulates, the red bits seem to all follow major roads rather than being clustered around posh houses with woodburners.

Dunno, there are presumably more causes of asthma than just woodburning stoves. There are loads more chemicals around in the house, that may be a factor. I looked at the pdf but it doesn't mention wood, coal or (that I could see) causes of asthma.
I was diagnosed with asthma last year - mine's triggered by the cold and according to my doctor it's a very common cause. Since being diagnosed, I've discovered that all 3 friends of mine with asthma are all cold-triggered. I'm not suggesting that particulates don't play a role in many cases, but it looks to me like the obvious culprit (traffic) is the elephant in the room.

Interesting - my asthma's been worse over the cold weather, too. And yes, there's loads more traffic on the roads since the 50s. I presume the figures for traffic particulates include from tyres and brakes (I got laughed at for suggesting it last time but):

While air quality has improved significantly over recent decades, a new report published today (11 July) by the Air Quality Expert Group (AQEG) calls for urgent action to address the problem of tyres and brakes which is predicted to account for 10 per cent of national emissions of PM 2.5 by 2030.

Just given my meter readings and I have suddenly gone from being £300 plus in credit (I forget how much over £300), to immediately only being £50 in credit since my last bill/reading. I've not used any more energy than usual.

I think one of the major contributors to increasing asthma/eczema/allergies is cleanliness and reduction in exposure to serious diseases. Our immune systems have changed very little in evolutionary terms. It evolved to be effective against serious infections and we just don’t see that these days cos we have generally good sanitation, we sanitise everything and vaccinate against a lot of serious illnesses. So our prehistoric immune systems get a bit bored and start to find bits of self to attack. This might confuse the trend you refer to in 50-70 year olds.

Sorry, realise I haven’t quoted any sources but I recall from my healthcare/nursing days that it is pretty widely held that cleanliness and overuse of antibacterials has had ab impact on autoimmune-type conditions.

The trend for wood burners led to an increase in the outlets selling logs by the net - you certainly couldn’t buy wood from supermarkets and petrol stations when I was a kid. The propensity of that wood to be both inadequately seasoned and hugely overpriced was often the cause of great angst when it didn’t produce a nice fire. It amazes me how many nets of wood we sell in the supermarket where I work.

I have an oil-fired boiler and and a Rayburn canopied open stove. I have always foraged fallen wood all year round on dog walks, cut branches off my own willow, apple and cherry trees, dry prunings for kindling, and in 30+ years here I have probably bought logs from the farm fewer than 10 times. Sawing wood to size, stacking some in the shed and bringing enough indoors for the week is pleasing, and as long as I can burn a branch or two I’ll not be cold, whatever the oil prices do.

I’m in my 60s, my only neighbours are in their 70s and also burn wood. The dust-producing factory across the village has long closed and is being built on. Fast but infrequent traffic down the lane past our pair of cottages will leave little in the air to worry us, we are generally upwind from the road, and we will relish our indoor fires for as long as we survive here.

Bord Gais over here has just announced that they are increasing electricitt and gas prices by 40% from April..😳

Received letter today from the council informing me that as I pay my council tax by dd, I should be getting my £150 refund paid into my bank account soon.
The letter also contained my new council tax bill, £1900.
Over the fucking moon.

Standing charges have always been a fucking scam. If it’s paying for the network then it’s a stealth tax that as usual hits the poorest hardest.

I like the way our water bills are structured. Its arranged in tiers with the people who have the lowest useage, getting not only the lowest rates, but a $10 credit toward the standard charge. The cost of water rises by tiers the more you use. This makes water bills run as little was $15 a month for showers and drinking water, to upwards of $300 for someone who waters their lawn regularly, or otherwise use large amounts of water.

Received letter today from the council informing me that as I pay my council tax by dd, I should be getting my £150 refund paid into my bank account soon.
The letter also contained my new council tax bill, £1900.
Over the fucking moon.

That billing structure. Are you saying that you pay your entire year's worth of council tax in one go? Or is that your monthly figure? :eek:

I don't think I could afford to pay annually. Mine comes in monthly. Apparently I paid about £15 last month. That seems a little... low?

Back
Top Bottom