Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

My electricity bill has just tripled: how about yours? Alternative suppliers?

Not been able to get an update of our energy usage on the British Gas site since 16th Feb. Smart meter is working ok, but that only displays daily usage. According to BG, it's a temporary technical issue.

An energy efficient woodburner might be better than an open fire if you do want to burn wood, dessi. Is your chimney lined though?

However I'd wait for someone who knows what they're talking about :)

An energy efficient woodburner might be better than an open fire if you do want to burn wood, dessi. Is your chimney lined though?

Yes if you want to use solid fuel for heating you’ll get up to 9x the efficiency (useful heat output per unit burned) from a closed stove. Modern ones are as much 90% efficient, whereas open fires can be as low as 10% (and not really more than 20%). But even an old second hand stove (ie cheap) will be about 60% which is from 3 to 6 times better than your fireplace will be.

Lining a chimney is not necessarily difficult, provided you can get access to the chimneytop somehow. You can buy kits for it. It needs to be a reasonably straight chimney though - a chimney sweep will be able to tell you - and you’d want to get a sweep in to clean and check the chimneys after opening them up anyway.

Yes if you want to use solid fuel for heating you’ll get up to 9x the efficiency (useful heat output per unit burned) from a closed stove. Modern ones are as much 90% efficient, whereas open fires can be as low as 10% (and not really more than 20%). But even an old second hand stove (ie cheap) will be about 60% which is from 3 to 6 times better than your fireplace will be.

Lining a chimney is not necessarily difficult, provided you can get access to the chimneytop somehow. You can buy kits for it. It needs to be a reasonably straight chimney though - a chimney sweep will be able to tell you - and you’d want to get a sweep in to clean and check the chimneys
:thumbs:

eta: my chimney sweep said that he didn't think it would be worthwhile replacing my rayburn with an efficient wood burner because rayburns are actually quite efficient. Not sure I believe that though.

The problem with the chimneys is that they're a few hundred years old. I doubt they're straight, and unlikely to be lined.

I'll have to look into the possibility of a wood burner in the smaller lounge. The larger lounge still needs to be open. It's a very old fireplace and would be ruined with a woodburner.

No. Our estimated usage was 5200KWh not 1520KWh

But now I've done some digging I can get it annual usage below the average

Our(mine and mr snake's) usage is the 1520, I was trying to show you what 2 adults actually use, but we don;t have a dishwasher(other than mr snake) or tumble dryer. Dishwashers apparently cost £8 a wash(was looking up leccy saving tips for a friend)

The problem with the chimneys is that they're a few hundred years old. I doubt they're straight, and unlikely to be lined.

I'll have to look into the possibility of a wood burner in the smaller lounge. The larger lounge still needs to be open. It's a very old fireplace and would be ruined with a woodburner.
not air-to-air heat pump with pipe going out of a window (with conversion kit)? Besides wood costs there's £60 a year chimney sweep costs remember. Worth costing out I'd have thought. I'm going to look at 3-year repayment times.

I think :)

Our(mine and mr snake's) usage is the 1520, I was trying to show you what 2 adults actually use, but we don;t have a dishwasher(other than mr snake) or tumble dryer. Dishwashers apparently cost £8 a wash(was looking up leccy saving tips for a friend)

I don’t think that thing about dishwashers can be quite right. A dishwasher program is about 2 hours, they’re on 13A fuses, so they can’t be drawing much more than 3000W, so 3 kWh per hour, or 6 kWh total. Even at the incoming massively inflated rates of 30p/kWh that’s still only £1.80. A tablet is maybe 10p, the water will be negligible.

But I am quite drunk.

If you look in your dishwasher or washing machine manual, it should give the exact KWh usage for each program. Often a lengthy "Eco" program will use less electricty than shorter programs.

geminisnake & prunus

The £8 in reference to dishwashers / washing machines is, I think, the annual saving of electricity costs if you do one less cycle per week.
[and is for the average, full-size under bench machine]

Ah so about 16p a wash, that sounds more like it; I imagine that was calculated on the good old days pricing of about 15p kWh so more than that now, but still not much.

Our Miele dishwasher has a state use of .74KWh for the eco cycle and comparing days between dishwasher use and no dishwasher use the electric usage is "about" that. Give or take <.1KWh. With our current price being, say 22p / KWh a dishwash costs ITR 16p as stated above

Lining a chimney is not necessarily difficult, provided you can get access to the chimneytop somehow. You can buy kits for it. It needs to be a reasonably straight chimney though - a chimney sweep will be able to tell you - and you’d want to get a sweep in to clean and check the chimneys after opening them up anyway.
if you don’t want difficulties selling your house you need to ensure that any installation is building reg compliant and registered with your local planning office or that you have certification that it has been installed by a ‘competent person’, i.e. HETAS compliant. You’ll need suitable ventilation and a carbon monoxide monitor.

I‘ve just sold my house and realised midway through that the open fire I had installed in 2007 was not compliant as per the 2005/2015 guidelines. Cost me £400 to have it checked, backfilled and recertified.

I got a letter from my electricity supplier today, so I can provide hard figures instead of just my reckons.

Ooofff. I don't think it's as bad as some, but that's quite the fucking hike. Still, I am so glad I told the smart meter wankers to fuck off.

I would agree that the increase in the standing charge is absolute fucking robbery. No justification for that kind of money-grasping shit.

Somebody also raised a very good point earlier about how our prices don't drop whenever we get breathless headlines about how much of our energy mix is produced by renewables on windy days.

Ok so they moved me to EDF last year I’ve been quietly depressed and hiding from this so it looks like I’ve missed all the good deals because that’s how I cope with trauma. Avoidance.

Looks like my choice with edf now is stay on the variable or get fixed with a years boiler repair for 2 years

086B2821-5836-429E-B0E2-8EA5056E4D95.jpeg

Variable suggests I’ll be paying about a tenner more (doubt.jpg) but I’ll hopefully moving in a month or so so the possibility of boiler cover is tempting - that early exit charge though

Not even worth switching providers according to Money Supermarket

Ok so they moved me to EDF last year I’ve been quietly depressed and hiding from this so it looks like I’ve missed all the good deals because that’s how I cope with trauma. Avoidance.

Looks like my choice with edf now is stay on the variable or get fixed with a years boiler repair for 2 years

View attachment 313760

Variable suggests I’ll be paying about a tenner more (doubt.jpg) but I’ll hopefully moving in a month or so so the possibility of boiler cover is tempting - that early exit charge though

Not even worth switching providers according to Money Supermarket

It's not a year's free boiler cover, you get six months free but have to pay for the other six months. You make this six months of payments to Domestic & General entirely separately from your electricity bill.

I'd strongly advise not going for those fixed rates - the very hefty early exit fee is an indication of how bad a deal the rates are, as it shows how likely it is you're going to want to pull out at some stage.

It's not a year's free boiler cover, you get six months free but have to pay for the other six months. You make this six months of payments to Domestic & General entirely separately from your electricity bill.

I'd strongly advise not going for those fixed rates - the very hefty early exit fee is an indication of how bad a deal the rates are, as it shows how likely it is you're going to want to pull out at some stage.

Yeah I’m not happy about that early exit. Looks like most other fixed rates have similar, about hundred a year

I got a letter from my electricity supplier today, so I can provide hard figures instead of just my reckons.

Ooofff. I don't think it's as bad as some, but that's quite the fucking hike. Still, I am so glad I told the smart meter wankers to fuck off.

I would agree that the increase in the standing charge is absolute fucking robbery. No justification for that kind of money-grasping shit.

Somebody also raised a very good point earlier about how our prices don't drop whenever we get breathless headlines about how much of our energy mix is produced by renewables on windy days.
FWIW, anyone who is a bit techie inclined, and wants the benefits of a smart meter without selling your soul to the power companies, I've just got one of these:

As a basic, it logs, and provides a website to view graphs of, instantaneous power consumption, and can do various things with the information beyond just doing a pretty graph.

(oh, and it uses a current transformer, so you don't have to mess around with mains power electrics)

Typical example of display:

1646933463341.png

Last edited:
Electric heating? :(

Unfortunately so. In winter I have the choice of being cold or being poorer. I've invested in a few pairs of woollen long johns which have been a great help so far. I reckon a significant part of the total count will down to the electric boiler though.

I've been contemplating getting our hot water tank a jacket.
Before anyone yells at me !
This would be in addition to the fixed foam insulation ...

But we don't use the immersion heater very often, the tank is fed heat as if it a radiator with one of those 3-way diverting valves ...
[just after we moved here, the CH system ate three diverter valves in quick succession - as in less than a year. It's now on the fourth, and 'touch wood', that one has lasted well].

I've been contemplating getting our hot water tank a jacket.
Before anyone yells at me !
This would be in addition to the fixed foam insulation ...

But we don't use the immersion heater very often, the tank is fed heat as if it a radiator with one of those 3-way diverting valves ...
[just after we moved here, the CH system ate three diverter valves in quick succession - as in less than a year. It's now on the fourth, and 'touch wood', that one has lasted well].
I store my jumpers and sweatshirts directly on top of the hot water tank in the airing cupboard. Not sure how effective it is but they don't seem to get all that warm.

Bloody hell . . . I thought that our projected usage of 5200KWh was high . . . shy of 7000KWh!! have you got a grow room on the go?? :D:D

Do you understand where your energy usage is going . . . I know for a fact that I didn't and it's taken me a week or so just measuring stuff and switching stuff off and on to understand what's using what and how I can reduce my energy without really impacting too much on the quality of living

By using an OWL meter (if I was buying new again, I'd get the upgraded one as that appears to let you stream readings over WiFi) and with a couple of power usage plugs and working round each plug with stuff plugged in I'm starting to understand better

And by reading the actual manuals and looking at power consumption from the various manufacturers websites for each kitchen "white box" and then double checking claimed against actual, some of the things that I feared were power hungry actually aren't that bad but what I thought was a negligible user was pretty major, at least how we were using it

Back
Top Bottom