Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

My electricity bill has just tripled: how about yours? Alternative suppliers?

Had our first months bill for new place which was about seventy quid, not terrible as that's everything including hot water, heating and charging two electric trikes etc but not great either. Though nights down to minus ten or so so heating working hard.

There’s a long version and an even longer version of this. I’ll try to stick to the former.

We were swapped to British Gas when People’s Energy went under in October 2021. We supplied monthly meter readings which went unacknowledged. We made sure to supply an extra reading at the end of March when the rates rocketed. But then we had a battle over several months where they kept estimating our bill, they took away the credit we’d built up, they double charging us when we paid the estimated amount but then charged us again for amounts we’d already paid, and issued a baffling array of bills and reversals so we eventually didn’t know where we stood. We had to get the local MP involved and threaten them with Martin Lewis. We had contradictory communications with them, and often periods of being completely ignored.

Eventually, though, we got to a place where we thought it was all sorted and we insisted on paying the amount we used when we used it to avoid the confusion building up again. The first “normal” month was the September payment.

Since then, though, they haven’t been taking direct debits. But they have been crediting us with the government rebates. We are proving readings every month on the requested date, plus again the extra one when the cap rose.

This might seem good. But I’m worried that a huge bill awaits us at some point. It could be that we overpaid up to September and are still in credit. I honestly would have no way of knowing: the “paper” trail is chaos and makes no sense. (One of my issues was I wanted paper bills because the figures in the app and on the website would actually change! But they haven’t been forthcoming).

Should I prod them or keep quiet?

What would you do?

View attachment 354327
As cupid_stunt says gas conversion should be stated on your bill. Electric meter reads in kWh. If you have a smart meter it will give gas usage in kWh as well.

the old meters are particularly confusing though with wheels going clockwise and anticlockwise, I've made mistakes several times. Nice now to have one with actual digits.

As cupid_stunt says gas conversion should be stated on your bill. Electric meter reads in kWh. If you have a smart meter it will give gas usage in kWh as well.
Yeah, I’ve not received a bill since 18th Aug, for the month to 14th Aug, taken as DD on 1st Sept. No bill since. And none since cap changed. So I don’t know the rate. Although it should be the People’s Tariff, as that’s the British Gas tariff for people transferred by the ombudsman from the Peoples Energy company. As a variable Direct Debit customer the amount I’m billed should be automatically taken from our bank account. But I haven’t been billed. And DDs haven’t been taken.

And it’s not smart meters.

What would I do?

What I actually do is keep it all on a spreadsheet so I know what I owe. If you have noted or have access to your readings and unit prices you can start now and that will fix the fear of a huge bill. If it's easy to get in touch with them, you could let them know they've messed up your DD but if it's a massive pain I wouldn't bother, their system will flag it eventually. Are you paying a higher tariff for PAYG? If so, let them do the work.
Yeah, if kind people in this thread will teach me what I’m supposed to be doing I’ll start keeping meaningful records.

It is not easy at all to get in touch with British Gas, and when you do, the person can’t help and doesn’t seem to have any more understanding than I do.

I am submitting frequent readings but I’ve got a horrible feeling that there is something wrong with the Eon Next app and that the balance isn’t correct for gas.

It still says I’m in credit due to the govt top up but I suppose it’s just a case of wait and see. You’d think it would give you a new pdf bill whenever you update with a readings.

If I do owe them money I’ll just point out I’ve submitted frequent readings and will only be willing to pay in instalments, based on the same number of months it’s happened.

Had our first months bill for new place which was about seventy quid, not terrible as that's everything including hot water, heating and charging two electric trikes etc but not great either. Though nights down to minus ten or so so heating working hard.
Which supplier are you with?

Live abroad mate. so it's the Chinese state grid; we're out in the country so get a subsidised rate at nights to help cover the cost of heating as they got everyone to swap to electric from burning solid fuel.
D'oh! Not the reply I was expecting :) but quite informative anyhow.

I am submitting frequent readings but I’ve got a horrible feeling that there is something wrong with the Eon Next app and that the balance isn’t correct for gas.

It still says I’m in credit due to the govt top up but I suppose it’s just a case of wait and see. You’d think it would give you a new pdf bill whenever you update with a readings.

If I do owe them money I’ll just point out I’ve submitted frequent readings and will only be willing to pay in instalments, based on the same number of months it’s happened.
Yes, that sounds like where I am now. (Assuming the September DD was correct).

Do you know how many kWh that was? Would be interesting to compare the rate with what’s charged in U.K. Are they incentivising people to ditch solid fuel heating for heatpump electric systems, or is it simple resistive element electric heaters?

The Chinese are so progressive these days I’d be surprised if they’re not rolling out heat pump technology, but maybe if electricity is cheap there, the economics of that don’t stack up.

Do you know how many kWh that was? Would be interesting to compare the rate with what’s charged in U.K. Are they incentivising people to ditch solid fuel heating for heatpump electric systems, or is it simple resistive element electric heaters?

The Chinese are so progressive these days I’d be surprised if they’re not rolling out heat pump technology, but maybe if electricity is cheap there, the economics of that don’t stack up.
Yes, it's those heat exchangers. Can't remember the exact kWh usage but current rate in Beijing is roughly CNY0.5 (six pence) per kWh, though varies a bit on time and overall usage

ETA Should say that's rural Beijing residential rate. Higher for commercial and in town IIRC

Yes, it's those heat exchangers. Can't remember the exact kWh usage but current rate in Beijing is roughly CNY0.5 (six pence) per kWh, though varies a bit on time and overall usage

ETA Should say that's rural Beijing residential rate. Higher for commercial and in town IIRC

6p per kWh, luxury!

In the UK, with VAT, it's about 35p, would be a hell of a lot more if the government hadn't introduced the price guarantee.

6p per kWh, luxury!

In the UK, with VAT, it's about 35p, would be a hell of a lot more if the government hadn't introduced the price guarantee.
Yeah, there's a higher rate for bigger domestic users (over 1000 kWh per month I think) but even there it's only eight or nine pence.

Interesting, thanks. They’re well ahead of the U.K. then, who are only just a starting to talk about rolling out heat pumps widely.

6p per unit sounds good though, even if it’s a subsidised rate which might rise soon. 26p /KWh where I am.

With all the many and various posts on this thread about people's electric bills I am feeling a little smug, I pay about £50.00 a month for electricity.

With all the many and various posts on this thread about people's electric bills I am feeling a little smug, I pay about £50.00 a month for electricity.

I only paid £33 for electric on my last bill.

It's the gas for heating that'll be the main expense over the winter months.

In the UK? On a pre-payment meter?

Or, with one of those weird green energy suppliers, that are not subject to the price cap? (Although, I thought even they were subject to the price guarantee) :hmm:
That's the day tbf, at the moment as we're using the dehumidifier overnight a good 50% is night units which brings the cost down to 29p per kwh. But it's always the day rate I have fixed in my brain and daytime is when the optional usage is concentrated.

How many payments are the Govt making to folks bills? Is it just one utility or do you get them for electric and gas if you have both?

British Gas only bills me every six months, since about a year and a half ago. It’s really annoying and stresses me out because I’d rather have more of an idea where I am. Even if I submit a meter reading they don’t bill me.
Me too but they have moved me (and presumably you if your account now begins with an A) to their new system. I get the impression from the website that they will send us a statement monthly going forward.

That's the day tbf, at the moment as we're using the dehumidifier overnight a good 50% is night units which brings the cost down to 29p per kwh. But it's always the day rate I have fixed in my brain and daytime is when the optional usage is concentrated.

Now it makes sense. As long as you are 100% sure paying more during the day is offset by overnight use that's good*, my brother found it didn't, so moved onto the normal 24 hour tariff.

* Have you a smart meter to check this?

How many payments are the Govt making to folks bills? Is it just one utility or do you get them for electric and gas if you have both?

It's one monthly payment to each household, put against the electric side of things, as not everyone has gas.

British Gas only bills me every six months, since about a year and a half ago. It’s really annoying and stresses me out because I’d rather have more of an idea where I am. Even if I submit a meter reading they don’t bill me.

That's not on, put in a formal complaint demanding monthly bills back-dated and from now on, give them 8 weeks to resolve it, if they don't, then put in a complaint to the energy ombudsman, who will sort it and ensure you get at least a £100 credit as a goodwill payment.

I got £150, but my complaint against OVO was somewhat out of the ordinary.

BTW - I highly recommend smart meters to avoid this sort of shit, I can see exactly how much I am using by day, week and month.

Now it makes sense. As long as you are 100% sure paying more during the day is offset by overnight use that's good*, my brother found it didn't, so moved onto the normal 24 hour tariff.

* Have you a smart meter to check this?
I do have a smart meter, and a regular meter reading habit, and a solar panel plus battery plan, so I think I got it covered... Let that read, I hope etc.

Back
Top Bottom