Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

My electricity bill has just tripled: how about yours? Alternative suppliers?

sojourner, I got my boiler flow temp down from 70º to just 55º, and that works fine with 6 radiators, although I may need to increase it as the proper winter weather hits us, so it could be worth lowering it a bit more.

sojourner, I got my boiler flow temp down from 70º to just 55º, and that works fine with 6 radiators, although I may need to increase it as the proper winter weather hits us, so it could be worth lowering it a bit more.
Cheers. I'm not ENTIRELY sure that I did it successfully tbh - it deffo looked like I had, and am gonna get my plumber to check it when he services the boiler, but yeh - going on last night's heating (still really hot), it could easily go down a lot more.

I've also had the gas fire on low to measure how much, and that's a lot cheaper when it's on low compared to the heating. Plan is, continue with the half hour of heating at tea time to warm the house through, then if really cold, put the gas fire on low for an hour.

Currently still toasty in furry clothes, blankie, and if really cold, I get in the 4 season sleeping bag with a hot water bottle. The hottie is now a staple!

I've also had the gas fire on low to measure how much, and that's a lot cheaper when it's on low compared to the heating. Plan is, continue with the half hour of heating at tea time to warm the house through, then if really cold, put the gas fire on low for an hour.

Currently still toasty in furry clothes, blankie, and if really cold, I get in the 4 season sleeping bag with a hot water bottle. The hottie is now a staple!

Remember the CH will use a lot of gas to warm the system up from cold, IIRC the last time I checked mine used about 83p to heat up the bungalow by 1c, and about 31p for the next 1c, as my place holds the heat well, I am thinking I may heat it a bit more on colder mornings, so it's warm enough not to use again in the evenings.

Of course, that depends how well it holds the heat when it gets a lot colder outside.

Remember the CH will use a lot of gas to warm the system up from cold, IIRC the last time I checked mine used about 83p to heat up the bungalow by 1c, and about 31p for the next 1c, as my place holds the heat well, I am thinking I may heat it a bit more on colder mornings, so it's warm enough not to use again in the evenings.

Of course, that depends how well it holds the heat when it gets a lot colder outside.
Yeh I know, but it still costs a fucking bomb to run, so any cutting down is welcome. We have cavity wall insulation, fairly new double-glazing, and are end terrace, so get heat from next door (a bit).

Used to do mine on a 45 minute wash and it used nearly twice as much as the 3 hour cycle. :hmm:
I tested mine recently. The so-called 'eco' wash cost 75p- nearly 4 hours long and supposed to be the best in terms of energy usage and water consumption. The 45 min wash was 35p. The 30 min wash was under 10p but you can only do a half load and the spin speed is a pathetic 800, meaning laundry will take much longer to dry.

I deffo noticed the difference in turning it down 20.

I tested mine recently. The so-called 'eco' wash cost 75p- nearly 4 hours long and supposed to be the best in terms of energy usage and water consumption. The 45 min wash was 35p. The 30 min wash was under 10p but you can only do a half load and the spin speed is a pathetic 800, meaning laundry will take much longer to dry.

I deffo noticed the difference in turning it down 20.
Could you put it back on for a another spin cycle at higher speed?

I am truly awed that you have that amount of detail at your fingertips. Mrs Q reckons I am a bit obsessive but I am just not in your league

I am truly awed that you have that amount of detail at your fingertips. Mrs Q reckons I am a bit obsessive but I am just not in your league

I blame High Voltage, he was proper obsessive first over his electric use, and it seems to have rubbed off on me.

I've done every thing I can to reduce the electric use, so I've given up on checking that too often, and moved onto gas use.

Oct 21-Mar 22 I used £290 in gas, that would be £775 at the current rates, so clearly it's worth looking at, my aim to cut gas use by 50% taking it down to a max. of £387.50 and less than the £400 government grant for this winter's bills. The new boiler will save 35% and I hope my measures will save at least 15%, in my dreams the cost will come in under the £290. :D

I've set-up a simple spread-sheet, thanks to the mild Oct. and not needing heating, last Oct. I used 699.12kWh costing £71.94 at current rates, this year 35.2kHw costing just £2.57, so smashed my max. target of £35, and delivered a saving of £69.37 on what it would have been if I had used the same as last year.

The target for Nov. is £60 max., looks like it'll be about £32, saving £86 or £158 for the 2-months, which is a good start. :cool:

Back
Top Bottom