Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

'My bluds say the skets round here are nuff deep' - the new inner city language

Yep.
Nang is the best word bar none.
Basically there was this Filipino girl called Nang Phen who was fit. Thus the word nang came to represent anything that was cool/amazing. Only word that's been mentioned on this thread that I as a lad from Cardiff would feel like a dick saying. Way too East London for me to get away with.

I like that story, tho' not heard the word before. The one I'm interested in is 'cotch' which is used within the black community. I'm sure it comes from the Welsh word 'cwtch', which itself could have come from 'coucher' in French, which is to lie down, go to bed. My nana always to say, "there, there, cwtch up now" if we were upset or tired.

I like that story, tho' not heard the word before. The one I'm interested in is 'cotch' which is used within the black community. I'm sure it comes from the Welsh word 'cwtch', which itself could have come from 'coucher' in French, which is to lie down, go to bed. My nana always to say, "there, there, cwtch up now" if we were upset or tired.

I think cotch is Jamaican. No denying that cwtch is a catchy word through. I'm from Wales but went to uni in M'cr and all of my mates picked up on that word and used it a fair bit. A bit in jest taking the mick out of me but also because it's a damn good word.

As I thought:

The word has its origins in the Middle English word "couche" which meant a resting or hiding place. It was then adopted into the Welsh language to mean a cupboard. But Mr Shearing said the word's origins also lie in the french word "coucher" which means to lie down.
The word possibly travelled to the Caribbean during slavery, as many Welsh and Irish were sold into slavery:
In 1648 a total of 240 Welsh “Bachelors” were sold into slavery for aschilling each and shipped into Barbados.
From 1652 to 1657 a total of 50,000 Irish slaves weretransported to the English owned islands.
Anyway, enough of that.

As I thought:

The word has its origins in the Middle English word "couche" which meant a resting or hiding place. It was then adopted into the Welsh language to mean a cupboard. But Mr Shearing said the word's origins also lie in the french word "coucher" which means to lie down.
The word possibly travelled to the Caribbean during slavery, as many Welsh and Irish were sold into slavery:
In 1648 a total of 240 Welsh “Bachelors” were sold into slavery for aschilling each and shipped into Barbados.
From 1652 to 1657 a total of 50,000 Irish slaves weretransported to the English owned islands.
Anyway, enough of that.

If you're interested in British slaves, the "White Cargo: The Forgotten History of Britain's White Slaves" by Don Jordan and Michael Walsh, is a good read. I've got it on a 'pdf file, if you want to read it, and have an e-mail addy for me to send it to. :)

Yeah "blud" got dropped the minute the wider public caught on. Last time I was around in 2011 everything was "fam" and "cuz". I don't know what the latest man/mate/bruv variant is.
see my cousin calls me 'cuz' and I thought he was being all cosy with me cos we ARe family
now I realise that he probably calls everyone cuz who he's good friends with:(

I think cotch is Jamaican. No denying that cwtch is a catchy word through. I'm from Wales but went to uni in M'cr and all of my mates picked up on that word and used it a fair bit. A bit in jest taking the mick out of me but also because it's a damn good word.

That welsh Wword cwtch is pronounced cotch then? I've only seen it on here.

If you're interested in British slaves, the "White Cargo: The Forgotten History of Britain's White Slaves" by Don Jordan and Michael Walsh, is a good read. I've got it on a 'pdf file, if you want to read it, and have an e-mail addy for me to send it to. :)

Thanks for the offer, wd like to read it. Will pm you :)

Back
Top Bottom