Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

My 21 year old son does not watch TV..

Prime and Netflix really have no good documentaries.

Netflix buys and produces many of the best documentaries that are around and some of these are classics:

American Factory
Knock Down the House
Five Came Back
Bikram
McQueen
Shirkers
Paris is Burning
Making a Murderer
Wild Wild Country
The Staircase
The Vietnam War
The Keepers
Jim & Andy
Casting JonBenet
What Happened Miss Simone ?

...those are just the ones I've seen.

I don't get all the "most stuff on Netflix is crap" complaints. Obviously most of it won't be for you, because they cater to every demographic out there, but my "to watch" list stresses me out every time I just look at it, because I'll never get through it.

Last edited:
It’s something I do with other people, depending on who, but if it’s not a social thing I’d rather be pissing around on my PC with software or games. Occasionally watch Netflix or a film on my Todd.

It’s something I do with other people, depending on who, but if it’s not a social thing I’d rather be pissing around on my PC with software or games. Occasionally watch Netflix or a film on my Todd.
I spend much of my time sat in front of the laptop reading stuff online - can't imagine sitting passively watching telly for hours every day.

I spend much of my time sat in front of the laptop reading stuff online - can't imagine sitting passively watching telly for hours every day.

It would drive me up the wall. Interestingly my son only really watches YouTube stuff based around his interests. Not sure it’s such a great thing though as a lot of it is just pushing consumerism when he should really be more exposed to story telling.

I really don't see how reading stuff online is more active. I love films and the odd tv series and if they are good, I engage with them intellectually and emotionally just as much as with reading stuff online, probably more so.

Well they’re both passive. :p

However, sinking ridiculous hours into a grand strategy game on a PC means you have agency. :p
I don't believe that engaging with art is passive and for me films and even a lot of tv is art. You can be very high minded about all the amazing things you could do with your evening, but as I have a fairly active day at work, I like to relax with a film in the evening rather than do more work.

I don't believe that engaging with art is passive and for me films and even a lot of tv is art. You can be very high minded about all the amazing things you can do with your evening, but as I have a fairly active day at work, I like to relax with a film in the evening rather than do more work.

Well yes. Passive is relaxing. I was countering the point that it is necessarily a bad thing. But it can also be boring.

Back
Top Bottom