Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

My 21 year old son does not watch TV..

Yes. But you can on YouTube. Which is mentioned right next to the bit you bolded.:hmm:
Yet it was mentioned up thread that podcasts are audio not visual so how do you watch an audio program? :hmm:

I don't know about you but I don't find 'watching' the radio visually stimulating.

I watched a frankly absurd amount yesterday: Toulouse vs Ulster, followed by all the TdF final stage, followed by a BBC2 Marathon of Paul & Bob Fishing, Harry Hill and Louis Theroux.

What is the world of UK media going to look like in 50 years time?

Or if that is too far ahead, what about 20 years?

I just watch rubbish on the Yesterday channel like Secrets of Stalin's Underpants and Nazi Occult Megatanks. If the missus is around it's all Total Wipeout reruns, stuff about cooking and puppies.

I just watch rubbish on the Yesterday channel like Secrets of Stalin's Underpants and Nazi Occult Megatanks. If the missus is around it's all Total Wipeout reruns, stuff about cooking and puppies.
I wonder how many couples actually like the same TV, I certainly found my ex's TV tastes extremely boring, and she mine.

Last edited:
Broadcast TV is a steaming pile of shit. Unskippable, cringeworthy and obnoxious ads all the time. 90% of the schedule is filled with absolute dross like reality TV, property shows, repeats, and other crap. If by some miracle there's something on TV that I actually want to watch, I can enjoy it better online. If I want background noise, I can instead put on a podcast that I actually want to listen to.

I abandoned TV more than a decade ago, and never looked back. Nothing since then has occurred to make me rethink that decision. I reiterate; broadcast TV is utter dogshit not worth bothering with.

The kids have the right idea in abandoning it.

One of the arguments for broadcast TV used to be that everyone watched the same programs and had that in common to chat about at work the next day.

:)

Doesn't work these days, or not much, far too fragmented.

I actually have a TV machine. It sits in a corner and I don't notice it.

I haven't turned it on or plugged it in for at least 4 years!

Broadcast TV is a steaming pile of shit. Unskippable, cringeworthy and obnoxious ads all the time. 90% of the schedule is filled with absolute dross like reality TV, property shows, repeats, and other crap. If by some miracle there's something on TV that I actually want to watch, I can enjoy it better online. If I want background noise, I can instead put on a podcast that I actually want to listen to.

I abandoned TV more than a decade ago, and never looked back. Nothing since then has occurred to make me rethink that decision. I reiterate; broadcast TV is utter dogshit not worth bothering with.

The kids have the right idea in abandoning it.
Quoted because it needed saying twice.

I mostly watch streamed tv at my convenience. Don't ever watch the news unless something massive happens. Never watch sport. The only live tv shows I watch are quiz shows such as University Challenge and Mastermind.
I listen to a lot of podcasts on my commute - really enjoy the variety of them - it's like niche radio.
What I don't like about streaming services is way they encourage you to binge, like filthy crack dealers - I find that very unhealthy and not a good way to consume tv series, dramas especially. One a week is fine by me - makes it more of an event.
Documentary channels are great though. Do you watch them? And they offer all kinds programmes, from serious highbrow stuff to cheap entertainment drivel. Unfortunately many of them are only available as add-ons or part of a subscription package.

Documentary channels are great though. Do you watch them? And they offer all kinds programmes, from serious highbrow stuff to cheap entertainment drivel. Unfortunately many of them are only available as add-ons or part of a subscription package.
Nope. Never think to. The documentaries I’m interested in don’t appear there. Not interested in user generated content

Quibi is a new streaming platform which tries to be the future of television and which attempts to translate the Netflix experience for the Youtube generation. It produces tv series where episodes last less than ten minutes and they are composed so you can watch them in portrait and landscape mode. The idea is that shows can be consumed in bits and pieces while people are on the move. Despite enormous investment, it's not doing well. Nobody talks about the content and few seem to be aware of the service.

What does she stream? if you don't mind me asking.
Dungeons and Dragons twice a week, craft once a week and a video game once a week. Other ad hoc streams if an advertiser has paid her to do something - she did one on the new Sandman audio drama for Audible recently, and she's doing one for the new WWE wrestling game later this week I think.

Even the head of BBC admits iPlayer is not a "destination" rather a specific catchup service.

The UK produces some of the best Western media around. Next step is own the "platform". We never seem able to make these kind of steps. Even Sweden with Spotify manages it

Last edited:
I wonder how many couples actually like the same TV, I certainly found my ex's TV tastes extremely boring, and she mine.

We definitely don't share the same taste, and have two TV's. Problem solved. The OH never watches regular TV, and just uses hers to watch YouTube, Netflix or Gaia.

I often leave her to it and go to the bedroom to watch my YouTube or Regular TV, or occasionally Netflix/Amazon/Britbox.

None of my offspring have TVs and I don't think they watch Netflix or I-Player either They didn't have a TV when they were younger and just never acquired the habit of it. I am hopeless and can't seem to manage any sort of screen stuff apart from basic text . Reading is still the most accessible vehicle to penetrate my dim brain As the youngest is 33 (oldest 44). they were definitely much more computer literate. A couple of them watch Youtube...but mainly stuff about plants or metalwork. T.hey are online a lot. We do have a TV though because sweetheart watches sport...which seems to be on a lot. And during lockdown, quite a lot of daytime drivel (4 in a bed, Come Dine and at the nadir, Judge Judy and Hollyhocks). While I can't watch anything which requires the tiniest concentration, if I have nothing to do, I can find myself lolling around on the sofa, mindlessly whiling away 20 minutes or so of Bargain Hunt.
We are oldish. Sweetheart has always had no interest whatsoever in the internet while I only know enough to look at plant stuff and chat shit on here.

I would actually like to get back to watching more telly and hang less on the internet. It strikes me as the lesser evil. I just can’t find much I want to watch on German tv. The internet has been bad for my attention span and at times my mental health, in a way tv has never been a problem.

This year at least I‘ve made an effort to read more books again, I‘d almost completely stopped.

This year at least I‘ve made an effort to read more books again, I‘d almost completely stopped.
I need to do that also. Since I got a smartphone I have taken to watching the news for half an hour before I go to sleep, and that had been prime reading time.

One of the arguments for broadcast TV used to be that everyone watched the same programs and had that in common to chat about at work the next day.

:)

Doesn't work these days, or not much, far too fragmented.
I find that people at work just talk about the latest 'hot' Netflix show. . . probably more so than I have 'ever' heard anyone bimble on about what was on telly last.

Tv programmes are mostly shit so I don’t bother with it. Netflix is also mostly shit - watch something that manages to be half decent occasionally.

Mostly YouTube for me :oldthumbsup:

Streaming platforms suck arse to infinity when it comes to current affairs programmes. And whereas they can currently produce some goodl documentaries, the BBC still trumps every other broadcaster in the world when it comes to them- also such highly entertaining lifestyle/ non-fictional programmes such as the likes of The Repair Shop, Antiques Roadshow, Great British Bake-Off, The 1940s House (or whatever the fuck it was called), and similar stuff that is entertaining as well as informative. No streaming platform in the world has a chance in hell to produce similar output at present, any any meaningful quantities anyway.

Quibi is a new streaming platform which tries to be the future of television and which attempts to translate the Netflix experience for the Youtube generation. It produces tv series where episodes last less than ten minutes and they are composed so you can watch them in portrait and landscape mode. The idea is that shows can be consumed in bits and pieces while people are on the move. Despite enormous investment, it's not doing well. Nobody talks about the content and few seem to be aware of the service.

I tried the Quibi free trial just to see the hilarious GOLDEN ARM thing by Sam Raimi, who I'm a big fan of. It did not disappoint.

Every other programme was terrible

Last edited:
The first thing I found to watch on Netflix was 'DMT: The Spirit Molecule', full of bug-eyed users chattering about entities. It was downhill after that.

Back
Top Bottom