Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Mundane pictures of the North

A former cemetery housing 80,000 bodies which was converted into playing fields. The sign doesn't say, but I suspect the bodies were left in situ, as there are a few other sites in Manchester where the same applies. Slightly weird to know you are standing on tens of thousands of skeletons!

An illustrious scientist is also mentioned on the plaque, but not sure if this is clear on this reduced image.

441.jpg

One of the old loops off the main line, severed many years ago by the looks of it. And the connecting section in the second picture. You occasionally hear of talk to re-connect it and convert the old viaduct into a line again, but I doubt that would happen given the cost to upgrade it after years of neglect and damage to the structure.

442.jpg

443.jpg

The most pointless train station in England award goes to....Ardwick.

A really odd station, barely a mile or so beyond Piccadilly, which according the timetable on the wall has two Piccadilly-bound trains stopping per week, and one outbound. So not exactly busy, and in a very peculiar location - maybe a hangover from the past when the area was somewhat busier in employment terms. It has around one passenger using it per day, so you just can't move for the crowds.

It is interesting to compare the annual number of passengers using both this and Piccadilly. In 2011/12, 584 passengers used this station, whereas more than 18.5 million used Piccadilly just a mile away.

It seems it may be popular with prostitutes given some detritus I spotted on the ground. Nice!

444.jpg

445.jpg

No idea what this was in a former life - station-masters house?

446.jpg

Steep slippy steps. Note the full disabled access.

447.jpg

View from top of the stairs.

448.jpg

20130703_195246.jpg

Back
Top Bottom