Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Moving house during a lockdown?

nosos

Did you move house during a lockdown? Was it more stressful? Given how the Covid situation is going and I have to move house in January, I've started dwelling on this prospect in a slightly obsessive way...

Moved house on 23rd October 2020 (sold a property and bought another), and sold a property last month (on behalf of my mum who moved into a care home). Wouldn't say it was any more stressful than any other time, although the woman we were buying from was massively anxious about getting a completion date sorted because there was talk back then of another lockdown happening; I don't think we'll ever go into as tight a lockdown as Mar-Jun 2020 when it was almost impossible to do anything.

The thing that's been stressful since moving in is getting tradespeople to come and do any work, or even to quote - everyone seems to have a backlog of several months.

I know of quite a few people doing it, not heard of it causing any particular problems other than a couple of occasions where one or other party had COVID in their household at the last minute! :eek: I agree with hegley that I think an absolute lockdown isn't happening again, so I'm sure you'll be able to move.

People were still moving house, even duting the first lockdown. In actual fact it could actually be easier than normal as there won't be much else to do and you can entertain yourself with decorating.

I also moved house on 23rd October 2020. We put our offer in on 14th March and we had to wait months until the survey was done because of lockdown. I was worried about our mortgage offer running out but it was fine.

We moved ourselves with a hired van because it was difficult to get removals. I'm sure that's all fine now though. Luckily most things were already packed from our move in 2019 when we moved up the country.
Just as Boudicca said we've pretty much decorated the whole place for something to do.

We are moving in January also...not envisaging any more hassle than is normally associated with moving...

This is reassuring thanks! I was nervous anyway and I think I'm just looking for things to worry about :hmm:

I’m getting so nervous about this now it’s impending. What if I get covid, or my movers get covid or the people moving out of my new house get covid? 😬

I’m getting so nervous about this now it’s impending. What if I get covid, or my movers get covid or the people moving out of my new house get covid? 😬

You'll figure it out if/when it happens and it'll work out fine. Just take deep calming breaths and focus on other stuff.

Back
Top Bottom