Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

More than 1,000 dead in Morocco quake

Reading that remoter areas south of Marrakech badly affected so afraid toll will rise when they're reached. People having to dig themselves out atm.

Reading that remoter areas south of Marrakech badly affected so afraid toll will rise when they're reached. People having to dig themselves out atm.

Yep, there's a lot of people live in those mountains. They are very close to Marrakech, half hour drive. But that's where the epicentre was. This is horrible.

Just had an update from friends who flew out two days ago, spent the night on the street but are safe! Like you planetgeli, recognising streets that we’ve walked down recently. Grim news :(

International teams going in I hope.

Yeah. Because 'economics' according to this report, as opposed to hundreds of dead people. I really hope this is worded badly but I fear not.

The US Geological Survey’s PAGER system, which provides preliminary assessments on the impact of earthquakes, has issued a red alert for economic losses, saying extensive damage is probable and the disaster is likely widespread.

Past events with this alert level have required a national or international level response, according to the US government agency.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/l...08addfe92242df#block-64fc1e0c8f08addfe92242df

Yeah. Because 'economics' according to this report, as opposed to hundreds of dead people. I really hope this is worded badly but I fear not.

It's an important metric because it informs longer-term response i.e. people losing their homes and remaining homeless because the state is unable to assist rebuilding at the necessary speed and scale. The alert is only orange for fatalities because the estimate was at a level that the state has the resources to cope with. They're very crude initial metrics but their speed of issuance is useful.

The USGS has a long explainer on why the alert level for economic losses is sometimes higher than the alert level for casualties and why it doesn't mean that economic losses are seen as more important than deaths and injuries, though maybe they should have just come up with a better system instead of making lengthy excuses for the current one

The economic loss and casualty estimations are independent of each other. If the loss of life is expected to exceed 100, then an orange alert is assigned for loss of life, no matter what the economic loss is estimated. The two alerts are then compared, and the higher is always chosen. Thus, for example, if there is a green alert for loss of life, but an orange alert for economic losses, then an overall orange alert is issued ... The system is by no means suggesting that 1,000 lives are equal to $1 billion. Those are simply the numbers chosen for the triggers due to past experiences for response. This system is designed to help relief organizations and response agencies determine the likely impacts of the earthquake as soon after the event as possible

Awful news. Hopefully there are as few additional casualties as possible.

Potentially daft question; given that Morocco is no stranger to earthquakes, how does the old quarter of cities like Marrakech manage to survive over the centuries? I would have thought they were constructed in a way so as to weather earthquakes, and so that's how they get to become old, but apparently not?

Awful news. Hopefully there are as few additional casualties as possible.

Potentially daft question; given that Morocco is no stranger to earthquakes, how does the old quarter of cities like Marrakech manage to survive over the centuries? I would have thought they were constructed in a way so as to weather earthquakes, and so that's how they get to become old, but apparently not?

Morocco is a relative stranger to earthquakes, 13 in 500 years and 5 of those have come in the 21st century. Marrakech is particularly not used to earthquakes, this is the first centred anywhere near there.

And although Marrakech is sadly damaged, the main deaths and collapses will have happened outside Marrakech where poor people build their homes from mud.

I first saw the news when I saw gsv's cousin posting on FB that she and her husband were in Marrakech, and their hotel undamaged. I assumed it wasn't that bad/not centred on Marrakech until I read the news, jeez they were lucky.

How awful for everyone living there, that is a dreaful toll. :(

I saw on twitter that an emergency team in Ireland were all set to go and help.

I expect quite a few teams will be up for going to help, if they aren't already en-route.

The pictures on Al-Jazeera of the mountain villages are horrendous.
I haven't seen the footage, was out most of today, but sometimes news broadcasters use newswires footage (from Reuters, AP, Agence France Presse, etc, which might have been sourced from staffers, stringers or freelance or might have been sourced from local media) or then again footage might be UGC (User Generated Content) if eye witnesses send stuff in or if producers spot something online and ask for permission to use footage.

So if you don't actually see their reporter on screen then they're not necessarily there, especially not in the first instance, as it can take a wee while to deploy crew.

Broadcasters will often use newswires or UGC footage in the immediate aftermath for 'B-roll' ie when they cut to video after the news presenter has already been talking for a bit.

- Former broadcast journalist, former Al Jazeera English staffer with a fair amount of experience covering breaking news in the control room.

I mean you'd hope air supplies and deployments? Man I don't even know what's going on.

I haven't seen the footage, was out most of today, but sometimes news broadcasters use newswires footage (from Reuters, AP, Agence France Presse, etc, which might have been sourced from staffers, stringers or freelance or might have been sourced from local media) or then again footage might be UGC (User Generated Content) if eye witnesses send stuff in or if producers spot something online and ask for permission to use footage.

So if you don't actually see their reporter on screen then they're not necessarily there, especially not in the first instance, as it can take a wee while to deploy crew.

Broadcasters will often use newswires or UGC footage in the immediate aftermath for 'B-roll' ie when they cut to video after the news presenter has already been talking for a bit.

- Former broadcast journalist, former Al Jazeera English staffer with a fair amount of experience covering breaking news in the control room.

They were there. They travelled there. It took them hours.

2600 dead now and that will go over 3000. There's villages not reached and nearly 3000 casualties a lot of whom are described as critical.

For scale, this would be like a disaster in the UK that took about 5000 lives.

Back
Top Bottom