Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Misogynist barbarians in Alabama impose forced pregnancy law

This crosses so many lines, that I can't begin to count them. Senator Halloran is one of the ultra-conservative state senators who has worked to ban abortion in all cases. Now, he's working on criminalizing having books like Lucky in the library. It's an autobiography about a girl who was raped as a teenager. It does contain some disturbing content, as you would expect, given the disturbing events it describes.

Republican Nebraska state Sen. Steve Halloran is facing calls to resign after he (repeatedly) inserted a colleague's name into a passage he read during a floor debate from a book's rape scene that included graphic detail.

Halloran apologized on the Senate floor Tuesday morning, defending his decision to read the passage but saying it was a "mistake" to reference his colleagues.

This was done purely to harass a female senator who has repeatedly opposed his hateful legislation. One of the ways these guys play is to aim veiled rape threats against their female colleagues.

Video here:

What an absolute scumbag.

Last edited:
This crosses so many lines, that I can't begin to count them. Senator Halloran is one of the ultra-conservative state senators who has worked to ban abortion in all cases. Now, he's working on criminalizing having books like Lucky in the library. It's an autobiography about a girl who was raped as a teenager. It does contain some disturbing content, as you would expect, given the disturbing events it describes.

This was done purely to harass a female senator who has repeatedly opposed his hateful legislation. One of the ways these guys play is to aim veiled rape threats against their female colleagues.

Video here:

"facing calls to resign". It's pretty appalling that a decision like that should be in his hands. He should be out on his ear.

slightly off topic (although same people behind it as the anti-abortion lot) but the rightwing nutters in the US are going after no fault divorce now :mad:

(We only introduced no fault divorce in the UK in 2022 after a previous attempt in the 90s failed)

For most of U.S. history, getting a divorce was difficult. Many states banned it entirely, while others permitted it only under limited circumstances – typically cruelty, desertion or adultery. Unhappily married couples who couldn’t prove such “faults” were effectively stuck.

Then, in 1969, California became the first state to allow no-fault divorce – meaning that a spouse could get a divorce simply by asking for it, without having to prove that their partner had done something wrong first.

After California enacted no-fault divorce, the rest of the states quickly followed. By 1977, 47 states permitted no-fault divorce, and by 1985, all 50 states permitted some form of no-fault divorce.

But now, nearly 50 years later, no-fault divorce is under increasing attack.

The issue gained renewed national attention in 2023, when Steven Crowder, a conservative commentator who prides himself on his “provocative” views, expressed outrage and disbelief that his wife could divorce him without his consent.

Crowder isn’t alone in such criticisms: Divorce has become a hot topic among many red-state Republican lawmakers. Most recently, in January 2024, Oklahoma lawmaker Dusty Deevers proposed a bill to eliminate no-fault divorce and suggested “public shaming” of spouses who commit marital fault and then divorce. Restricting no-fault divorce is also part of both the Texas and Nebraska Republican Party platforms, and was recently debated by Louisiana lawmakers.

In other misogynist, religion-based news, the Taliban announced that they will start stoning women to death for adulatory.

Biden pulls out of Afghanistan and gave the country to them.
Not long ago, these women were dreaming of becoming doctors and teachers - so disgusting how fast their world changed.

Last edited:
Alabama State House seat flips from R+7 to D+25 thanks to the D candidate running a pro-life campaign

<nitpick>Perhaps I'm not up with the current lingo, but I assume you meant to type pro-choice/pro-abortion there? AIUI pro-life is a term generally used to describe the anti-abortion brigade.</nitpick>

The article wot Crispy posted said:
Marilyn Lands won a state House seat in a rare competitive race to represent a district that includes parts of Huntsville. Lands, a mental health professional, centered her bid on reproductive rights and criticized the state’s near-total abortion ban along with a recent state Supreme Court ruling that temporarily banned in vitro fertilization.

Good news indeed, but I'm one of those woolly liberal weirdos who struggles to comprehend what's so terrible about allowing women to have bodily autonomy, and I struggle even harder to comprehend why campaigning on a reproductive rights platform wouldn't be a vote-winner for a sizeable proportion of the electorate.

Video here:

Quite thoroughly despicable excuse for a human being. Staggering.

In other misogynist, religion-based news, the Taliban announced that they will start stoning women to death for adulatory.

Biden pulls out of Afghanistan and gave the country to them.
Not long ago, these women were dreaming of becoming doctors and teachers - so disgusting how fast their world changed.

Can't find a separate thread about this.
But trying to find out whether the shock is over stoning women, or stoning anyone at all. There is a long tradition of stoning men so I'm wondering if they're going all equal opportunities all of a sudden or just their usual misogynistic selves.

FTR, obvs I don't think anyone, male or female, should be stoned for anything. Just curious about the way this story may have been framed.

'Erin Hawley continues the proud GOP tradition of women building their careers by ruining other women's lives'
They really are going for a "handmaid's tale" world where women are only to have sex for reproduction....they are also going for contraception and whispers of stopping no fault divorce...fucking crazy place

I think they somehow think proximity to male power will save them from the worst of it. 'Well, divorce looks bad, he wouldn't divorce me', 'I'm sure he can get doctors to help if I have pregnancy complications' etc

It also facinates me the lack of self awareness...can't they see that they are becoming a mirror image of the likes of the taliban ? wearing power suits and polished hair-dos and speaking on news channels doesn't take away from the fact they are being persuaded to give away their freedoms...or perhaps these women think it won't ever apply to them and only to the poor.

It also facinates me the lack of self awareness...can't they see that they are becoming a mirror image of the likes of the taliban ? wearing power suits and polished hair-dos and speaking on news channels doesn't take away from the fact they are being persuaded to give away their freedoms...or perhaps these women think it won't ever apply to them and only to the poor.
The amount of cognitive dissonance is striking.

The case examined whether the state is still subject to a law that predates Arizona’s statehood. The 1864 law provides no exceptions for rape or incest, but allows abortions if a mother’s life is in danger. The state’s high court ruling reviewed a 2022 decision by the state Court of Appeals that said doctors couldn’t be charged for performing the procedure in the first 15 weeks of pregnancy.

An older court decision blocked enforcing the 1864 law shortly after the U.S. Supreme Court issued the 1973 Roe v. Wade decision guaranteeing a constitutional right to an abortion. After the U.S. Supreme Court overturned Roe v. Wade in June 2022, then state Attorney General Mark Brnovich, a Republican, persuaded a state judge in Tucson to lift the block on enforcing the 1864 law.

Currently, 14 states are enforcing bans on abortion at all stages of pregnancy, with limited exceptions. Two states ban the procedure once cardiac activity can be detected, which is about six weeks into pregnancy and often before women realize they’re pregnant.

Back
Top Bottom