Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Misogynist barbarians in Alabama impose forced pregnancy law

I don't think that Sass was equating the two, only pointing out that people travel to do something illegal in their home country for a number of reasons. You would think a similar legal logic/framework would apply to all cases where people travel for illegal purposes, but I could be wrong.
Yes.

'Keep the government out of my uterus' is over. Next it will be 'keep the government out of my rectum'.

Fuck off. You're a thick twat and you spout a lot of offensive bullshit without even realising it. And you're not even that old. But you often come across like a thick old senile tory. Here you are diminishing the awful misogynism of the SCOTUS decision by bringing it back to being about men, somehow. Their potential suffering. And it is annoying to have to point that out.

It couldn't happen here part 3

"Deputy PM says matter is ‘settled in UK law’ and he would not want Britain to be in same situation as US". Of course, the conservative justices were also at pains to stress that Roe v Wade was a matter of 'settled law' in their confirmation hearings.

At my company's all hands meeting today, this was the first thing discussed (we've maybe 1000 employees in the US). Their stance is that it's a human rights issue and they will cover travel costs (including for dependents) for anyone in a state where abortion has been outlawed.

(They're actually really good on this sort of stuff and sent out an email right after the verdict to say it was terrible and they were looking into how to support people affected.)

Good piece here on how little difference there is between incels and the anti-abortion right.

There were endless tweets about how "whores" would now have to think twice about "spreading their legs" and how they had escaped "consequences" for too long — the "consequences," of course, being pregnancy and a child they may not be able to afford. The tone, the absolute rage behind these tweets was no different from that seen on the incel boards. It wasn't the rage of people who just care desperately about babies, it was the rage of those who feel they have been personally wronged by women having consensual sex without being punished for it.

Youthful misadventures I bet? Good thing that didn't blow up in your face.

No. It was when I was a civil engineer.

Because the yard was so far from the sites, you tended to keep a wee bit more in the way of gelignite on site than was allowed.

The first court appearance was for having 100 lbs (two boxes) of gelignite under my desk when the limit was ten lbs, the second was for transporting 500 lbs of gelignite on a public ferry. At Glenborrodale, we were creating a huge rock cutting, it was about 80 feet high on the high side, ten on the low side. We had two Holman 4" drilling rigs working, the explosives required for a single shot was 400 lbs. We usually managed a shot a week, drilled Mon - Thurs and stemmed and blew it on Friday. It took about four hours to rig the blasting circuits, Cordtex, double run, so that if one circuit was breached, the second would fire. The nightmare is unexploded gelignite amongst the rock. With Cordtex, it isn't quite so bad with misfires, as there is only one detonator used. Firing electrically, every charged hole has a detonator, so if the machine bucket hits, it can fire.

I got fined £50.00 on both occasions, which the company paid.

Because the yard was so far from the sites, you tended to keep a wee bit more in the way of gelignite on site than was allowed.

The first court appearance was for having 100 lbs (two boxes) of gelignite under my desk when the limit was ten lbs, the second was for transporting 500 lbs of gelignite on a public ferry. At Glenborrodale, we were creating a huge rock cutting, it was about 80 feet high on the high side, ten on the low side. We had two Holman 4" drilling rigs working, the explosives required for a single shot was 400 lbs. We usually managed a shot a week, drilled Mon - Thurs and stemmed and blew it on Friday. It took about four hours to rig the blasting circuits, Cordtex, double run, so that if one circuit was breached, the second would fire. The nightmare is unexploded gelignite amongst the rock. With Cordtex, it isn't quite so bad with misfires, as there is only one detonator used. Firing electrically, every charged hole has a detonator, so if the machine bucket hits, it can fire.

Why is unexploded gelignite in the rock such a big problem? Is it due to risk of massive detonation during re-do’s after misfires?

:(

I'm sort of torn about this - having the law on the books is not necessarily a bad thing because illegal abortions can kill women, and women and girls can be pressured or forced into having them. And I'm not sure other laws about GBH and poisoning would really cover it. But it should all be focused on prosecuting the provider or coercer - the woman should never be in the frame for prosecution, even if it looks likely that she really did choose to do it herself. It is still her own fucking body. Rewriting that law would be better than eliminating it altogether.

don't suppose the company took the criminal record for you too

Why is unexploded gelignite in the rock such a big problem? Is it due to risk of massive detonation during re-do’s after misfires?

It isn't a huge problem if you are firing with Cordtex, you use a single detonator for each circuit, a circuit may be 100 holes. The Cordtex is itself a detonator, a high explosive that provides the 'bang' to set off the gelignite. There is a security aspect, you really should know where all your gelignite is.

When firing electrically, each hole has it's own detonator, so if the electrical circuit is broken, you have holes with gelignite, and a live detonator. Gelignite, is pretty inert. You can burn it to boil a kettle, it burns white hot. Detonators are sensitive things, you never hold the body in your fingers, on a cold morning the heat from your fingers can set it off. You grip by the wires, and push it into the stick of gelignite. If there has been a misfire, when the machine is dragging out the broken rock and encounters a detonator, it can set it off. Usually not a dramatic explosion, it is flying splinters that are the danger.

At Lochaline, 43 holes were left unblown due to a short circuit caused by a blasting mat. Luckily, I was able to re-rig the circuit, and got them blown. There rock was cracked from the shots that did go off, but the machine man flat refused to rip it out. :)

Back
Top Bottom