Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Misogynist barbarians in Alabama impose forced pregnancy law

This is kinda the point though. That those who have issues around women (AKA misogyny) need to.disguise it as something g other than pure hate, disdain, contempt and "political " is a handy cipher for that.

If someone claims it's political, it's guaranteed to be misogyny.

Same goes for "religious", with the two sometimes going hand in hand.

Last edited:
Just thinking of all the things you could do if you really wanted more people to have babies and fewer abortions and if you actually cared about children:
  • Property maternity/paternity leave
  • Affordable childcare
  • End to discrimination against mothers at work
  • Decent benefits for parents
  • Free or affordable healthcare
  • Affordable housing
  • Stop totally fucking up the environment

etc

Oh, but those are expensive and don't involve punishing women, better force women (and anyone with a womb who has the temerity not to identify as a woman) to give birth, that'll sort it.

I wonder what their prescribed outcome would be if a trans man with functioning female reproductive system were to be made pregnant due to rape. I wonder what kind of writhing knots of justification they'd erect around their ideology then. Would they force the trans man to raise the child? Force adoption?

This is kinda the point though. That those who have issues around women (AKA misogyny) need to disguise it as something other than pure hate, disdain, contempt and "political " is a handy cipher for that.

If someone claims it's political, it's guaranteed to be misogyny.
Oh yeah. They really hate women not being under male control, so forced birth is the ideal way to get them back there. Of course, they're convinced they love and respect women... as long as they're the right sort of woman, who keeps her mouth shut, keeps herself sexually pure (except for him of course - for him she does whatever his 'natural male urges' require) and leaves the men to be in charge. And of course even then he essentially feels contempt for her as an inferior human.

I wonder what their prescribed outcome would be if a trans man with functioning female reproductive system were to be made pregnant due to rape. I wonder what kind of writhing knots of justification they'd erect around their ideology then. Would they force the trans man to raise the child? Force adoption?
It sounds bizarre but there are quite a few pro lifers who identify as feminists, usually (but not always) 'gender critical'

They'd probably say the trans man was damaged and confused etc and pressure him to give up the child regardless

Following the Supreme Court overruling of Roe v. Wade on June 24, 2022, abortion is illegal in Alabama.[12]

A pre-Roe abortion ban, last amended in 1951, remains on the books. The law bans abortions in all cases except to preserve the life of the mother. Those convicted under the statute would face a maximum fine of $1,000 and a maximum jail time of 12 months.

Performing an abortion is a Class A felony with up to 99 years in prison, and attempted abortion is a Class C felony punishable by 1 to 10 years in prison, under a pending law passed in May 2019. The law was enjoined, but now that Roe has been overturned, the law could go into effect.[13]

Abortion is a divisive issue in the state, with 37% of adults believing it should be legal in all or most cases and 58% believing it should be illegal in all or most cases. Alabama's political and overarching religious beliefs has presented Alabama residents with limited access to abortion services. As of 2021, only three clinics remain in Alabama, all of which are located in metropolitan areas of the state.

:eek:

Does this 'law' apply retroactively? :facepalm:

It sounds bizarre but there are quite a few pro lifers who identify as feminists, usually (but not always) 'gender critical'

They'd probably say the trans man was damaged and confused etc and pressure him to give up the child regardless

Exactly. One way or another, the inevitable outcome of their ”morality” leads to outcomes that go against their own code.
But how would they go about taking the child away, if he wanted to keep it? Trauma all round.

No point discussing this hypothetical situation, but it illustrates the blinkered stupidity of their position.

I'll bet that doesn't stop all the states wanting to do it though.

Given that I had queries about it myself, I asked a mate who lived for a couple of years out in the US (and still has some now-very-worried family out there); apparently there's a few state laws that explicitly include prosecutions for "doing X in some other state". He listed Georgia as an example who introduced anti-abortion laws three or four years ago:
A woman who seeks out an illegal abortion from a health care provider would be a party to murder, subject to life in prison. And a woman who miscarries because of her own conduct—say, using drugs while pregnant—would be liable for second-degree murder, punishable by 10 to 30 years’ imprisonment. Prosecutors may interrogate women who miscarry to determine whether they can be held responsible; if they find evidence of culpability, they may charge, detain, and try these women for the death of their fetuses.

If a Georgia resident plans to travel elsewhere to obtain an abortion, she may be charged with conspiracy to commit murder, punishable by 10 years’ imprisonment

For now, Supreme Court precedent protecting women’s reproductive rights should bar such prosecutions—and indeed, require the invalidation of HB 481. But the court’s conservative majority may be on the verge of dismantling Roe v. Wade. If that happens, Georgia and other conservative states will be free to outlaw abortion, and to imprison women who self-terminate. HB 481 is further proof that once Roe is gone, it won’t just be abortion providers who risk legal jeopardy: Women will be punished, too.

I've no idea how the federal law applies in these situations though and I'm not sure if any of the above has been tested in court yet but if my friends' family had lived in Georgia this would have been a deal-breaker for them and with this on the books I'd personally be uncomfortable with any female acquaintances even passing through the place. Lots more of this to come by the sounds of things.

Given that I had queries about it myself, I asked a mate who lived for a couple of years out in the US (and still has some now-very-worried family out there); apparently there's a few state laws that explicitly include prosecutions for "doing X in some other state". He listed Georgia as an example who introduced anti-abortion laws three or four years ago:

I've no idea how the federal law applies in these situations though and I'm not sure if any of the above has been tested in court yet but if my friends' family had lived in Georgia this would have been a deal-breaker for them and with this on the books I'd personally be uncomfortable with any female acquaintances even passing through the place. Lots more of this to come by the sounds of things.

Not the same issue, but Britain prosecutes people who have committed sex offences in other countries.

An illegal abortion isn't a sex offence. Not appropriate to drag the likes of Gary Glitter into this.

I don't think that Sass was equating the two, only pointing out that people travel to do something illegal in their home country for a number of reasons. You would think a similar legal logic/framework would apply to all cases where people travel for illegal purposes, but I could be wrong.

Back
Top Bottom