Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Misogynist barbarians in Alabama impose forced pregnancy law

I guess so, but then it doesn't seem like the kind of problem that will go away if you ignore it. These people are bullies and the advice to "ignore bullies" never fucking works, at least in my experience. They will just escalate until ignoring them is no longer an option.

I guess so, but then it doesn't seem like the kind of problem that will go away if you ignore it. These people are bullies and the advice to "ignore bullies" never fucking works, at least in my experience. They will just escalate until ignoring them is no longer an option.

No, it never works either. Nor does appeasement. In my experience the best way to deal with bullies is to publicly humiliate them until they slink back to the hole they crawled out of.

Last edited:

Yes, you have a point (not sure whether you saw my edit).

An inevitable result of people turning their backs on the enlightenment and progress in general. My other half has been saying "they'll be burning witches at the stake next" for some time now.
Obviously the quote should have been " they'll be burning women as witches at the stake next". But there you go.

(Bloomberg) -- An armed man who made threats against Justice Brett Kavanaugh was arrested near the justice’s home in the early morning hours Wednesday, the Supreme Court said in a statement.

Initial evidence indicates the man was angry about the leaked draft of an opinion overturning the constitutional right to abortion, the Washington Post reported, citing two people familiar with the investigation. The man was also angry about recent mass shootings, the Post said.

“The man was armed and made threats against Justice Kavanaugh,” Supreme Court spokeswoman Patricia McCabe said in an email.

Kavanaugh’s home in Chevy Chase, Maryland, has been the site of protests since Politico published the draft opinion May 2. Politico said Kavanaugh was one of five justices who at least tentatively voted to overturn the landmark Roe v. Wade ruling, which established the constitutional right to abortion in 1973.

The Supreme Court has ramped up security since then, surrounding its building with eight-foot unscalable fencing. The building has been closed to the public since the pandemic began in March 2020. The court is scheduled to rule by the end of its term in late June or early July.

I'm sure he was just exercising his 1st Amendment right to protest in front of someone's house and his 2nd Amendment right to open carry. Both of which, the Supreme Court itself has upheld.

Not about abortion, but an example of how insane in the SCOTUS majority are. This is genuinely the most fucking mental legal ruling I've ever heard of.

It concerns the constitutionality of a federal regulation that limits 'post-election funds' (i.e. money that donors can give a candidate after they're elected to reimburse their campaign expenses) to $250,000. You might wonder why the fuck any post-election funds should be permitted by law - what possible function can they serve other than corruption?

Anyway far right maniac Ted Cruz loaned his 2018 campaign $260,000 as a ploy to challenge the constitutionality of the cap on post election funding. His political donors agreed to pay back the loan and the interest on the loan, meaning that Cruz was profiting from his own loan.

A 6-3 majority found that the federal regulation is unconstitutional because it 'burdens core political speech without proper justification'. The outcome then - politicians getting their election campaign loans repaid with interest by corporate donors is 'core political speech'. Fucking crazy. The reasoning that arrived at that conclusion is also crazy. This is the conservative majority's understanding of democracy:

"influence and access embody a central feature of democracy—that constituents support candidates who share their beliefs and interests, and candidates who are elected can be expected to be responsive to those concerns."

Not about abortion, but an example of how insane in the SCOTUS majority are. This is genuinely the most fucking mental legal ruling I've ever heard of.
f[/URL]

This is just the logical continuation of Citizen's United. If you want a truly insane case, try Dred Scott or Buck v. Bell.

This is just the logical continuation of Citizen's United. If you want a truly insane case, try Dred Scott or Buck v. Bell.

I agree it’s genesis is Citizens United, but this adds several layers more bullshit. Who is the speech between? Cruz and the shell corporation he established to finance his election? Is the interest on a loan ‘core political speech’? It’s just insanity

There are instructions in the Bible for performing abortions, too, you'd hope a christian church would make an objection quoting them. Not that it will make any difference of course.

There are instructions in the Bible for performing abortions, too, you'd hope a christian church would make an objection quoting them. Not that it will make any difference of course.

They’d come a bit unstuck with trying to apply that particular passage as a modern moral injunction. :D

The trouble is that the bible is full of so much dubious shit that it can be used to support anything just by selecting the wrong bits.

In the past it has been used to justify the burning of supposed witches, slavery, and white supremacy, not to mention the subordination of women..

There is much evil in the Old Testament, including the stipulation that the daughters of priests should be thrown alive into furnaces if they become prostitutes, and anyone working on the sabbath should be beaten with rods. And dishonouring your parents should be punishable by death, the potential biblical sanction right there for honour killings.

Large parts of the bible are of course utterly nonsensical. No one for example has ever been able to explain how a couple of kangaroos managed to get all the way from the top of Mount Arawat to pigging Australia, lol

The bit about not wearing mixed fabrics is just daft though. It's not like they had the excuse of wanting to avoid that nasty polyester shite.

Iirc that’s to do with neighbouring tribes (with competing local Gods) who wove garments from different threads based on something called “sympathetic magic” (kind of a way of combining and transmitting the properties of different animals/plants).

It was a tribal/religious purity thing.

A lot of Old testament stuff, food restrictions for example, are more to do with food safety in a hot climate than anything else.

I can’t find the link on an initial Google, but I think it is more commonly thought these days that this is also a matter of marking the tribe as different to what others were doing.

At least in part. Some of the laws about keeping certain foods separate during preparation look very much like hygiene guidelines to me too.

This is goy-guessing, though - we have a few posters here much closer to the subject, obv.

Last edited:
based on something called “sympathetic magic”
Just seen this so exercising a bit of late onset pedantry - sympathetic magic isn't about combining properties, it describes the belief that the associations between one thing and another makes it efficacious for magical effect - hair of the dog that bit you, blade slave etc.

Just seen this so exercising a bit of late onset pedantry - sympathetic magic isn't about combining properties, it describes the belief that the associations between one thing and another makes it efficacious for magical effect - hair of the dog that bit you, blade slave etc.

Yeah, that's correct, maybe post wasn't clear. But the weaving of different threads was an application meant to combine these inherent properties (or so I have read).

These fucking people. A 'thoughtful' proposal that women who don't want to be forced to give birth should just have a teeny weeny compulsory psychiatric admission after an abortion. You know, to help traumatise them, I mean help them with the trauma of wanting control over their own bodies and lives. Because obviously any woman who doesn't wish to be maternal at all times has to be a bit cuckoo.

Iirc that’s to do with neighbouring tribes (with competing local Gods) who wove garments from different threads based on something called “sympathetic magic” (kind of a way of combining and transmitting the properties of different animals/plants).

It was a tribal/religious purity thing.
perhaps you need to reread marcel mauss's a general theory of magic http://bokship.org/comingup/loveinthemorning/MAUSSMAGIC2.pdf

Back
Top Bottom