Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Miracle on the Hudson, Sully

I'm pretty sure I wouldn't want to to spend any money watching the forthcoming film at the cinema. Kind of know the ending already.

I wonder if any credit, or even passing mention of it, will be given in the film to the Airbus A320 aircraft that at the end of the day performed so well under such circumstances. Given the bitter commercial rivalry between Airbus and Boeing, I suspect any intention to pay praise Airbus by the filmmakers would have been fiercely lobbied against. The fact that some major US airlines operate non-American a/c is still a very contentious issue in some quarters in America.

I'm pretty sure I wouldn't want to to spend any money watching the forthcoming film at the cinema. Kind of know the ending already.
I wonder if any credit, or even passing mention of it, will be given in the film to the Airbus A320 that at the end of the day performed so well under such circumstances. Given the bitter commercial rivalry between Airbus and Boeing, I suspect any intention to pay praise Airbus by the filmmakers would have been fiercely lobbied against.

The film is more about insurance liabilities concerning pilot actions.

The crash is at the start of the film, the film is about the investigation and the fact that they found that the plane could have got back to the airport and landed safely and there was no need to land in Hudson!

the fact that they found that the plane could have got back to the airport and landed safely and there was no need to land in Hudson!
The wonder of hindsight. A NTSB/BEA/US Airways/Airbus team conducted a number of test simulations on the manufacturer's high fidelity, full motion, A320 engineering simulator in Toulouse as part of the crash investigation. There were 15 runs from engines out - they successfully made it to LaGuardia 7 times in 13 attempts and to Teterboro airport 1 time in 2 attempts. A 53% success rate - and only if they turned immediately at loss of engine thrust without time to assess the situation. Adding another half minute (as was the case in this event) to provide for (a realistic) assessment and decision making time (eg run through engine dual failure checklist) never resulted in a runway landing. Furthermore, gliding to either airport would entail placing additional lives at risk in crossing some of the most densely populated urban landscape in the world in a partially functioning aircraft.

Interesting to note that as part of the same investigation they used the simulator to investigate ditching in the Hudson at the certified structural ditching criteria of a flightpath angle of -0.5 deg.. In 11 of 12 runs the pilots managed to bring the aircraft down between -1.5 and -3.6 deg. (the actual ditch angle for this incident was -3.4 deg). In the other run an Airbus test pilot achieved -0.2 deg. by adopting an energy management approach - gliding in at high speed, to then sit at a few feet in altitude in ground effect, bleeding off airspeed until the aircraft settled in the water.

Last edited:
The thing that still impresses the hell out of me is the flight crew's presence of mind to start the Auxiliary Power Unit when they did. It wasn't part of a written procedure. That's good, old-fashioned pilot instinct.

The thing that still impresses the hell out of me is the flight crew's presence of mind to start the Auxiliary Power Unit when they did. It wasn't part of a written procedure. That's good, old-fashioned pilot instinct.

The instinct that didn't see them press the "ditch" button. Some designer at Airbus went to all that trouble of creating a functional ditch button for exactly this scenario and the one time ever in the history of Airbus craft that it was of any use it wasn't even pressed! Bet they're well pissed off.

The instinct that didn't see them press the "ditch" button. Some designer at Airbus went to all that trouble of creating a functional ditch button for exactly this scenario and the one time ever in the history of Airbus craft that it was of any use it wasn't even pressed! Bet they're well pissed off.
Well, true. The ditch button closes a number of apertures and valves, with the aim of keeping water out and the plane afloat.

In the event the software limited the amount of low-speed flare the plane could do, so it hit a bit harder than optimal, ripping big holes in the fuselage. Pushing the ditch button would not have made much difference.

All good retrospective stuff, mind. But if they hadn't started the APU, there wouldn't have been enough power to allow the ditch button to work.

The crash is at the start of the film, the film is about the investigation and the fact that they found that the plane could have got back to the airport and landed safely and there was no need to land in Hudson!

Could have made it back....or splashed down in the middle of the city with 1000's killed. Have not been to see it yet, Hanks put in a solid performance.

First rule with engine failures on take off. Don't try to turn back.

Moderately interesting. Shoe horned repeated sequences of the plane smashing into skyscrapers to ramp up the drama for the post 9/11 audience. Hanks was good and actory innit.

Still sounds rather dull.

And it is! A whopping furore about whether the pilot did the right thing (i.e. is Tom Hanks burned and which insurance company pays for the hull of the craft) which, owing to the complete survival rate (so no one really cares, especially as the uber-hero lead is played by everyone's perma-hero Hanks), is a pretty shite premise to try and whip up interest. There was only 1 real thriller-y will they/won't they bits (do the plane simulations reach the airport) and that was in the silly court room thing at the end, which is a set piece no different to Karate Kid or Whiplash, and predictable as such.

Basically the only redeeming feature is to shout Airplane quotes at the necessary parts :D

(Liked the turn from the co-pilot too. Great tash in the finale, and the 'I'd do it in July' was just the perfect side of smug, could have imagined a 70's freeze frame ending where everyone's frozen mid laugh at the hilarity as the credits roll :D)

Back
Top Bottom