Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Military vehicle (APC) with connecting trailer. MRAP replacement design concept.

Peter Dow

Standard Bearer
Introducing HUMPBAC - an armoured personnel carrier with a connecting doorway from the rear of the vehicle to walk through into the armoured passenger trailer. Tickets please! :D

HUMPBAC
Hinged Under-floor-Mine-Protection Battle-ready Armoured-personnel Carrier
Copyright © Peter Dow, 7th August, 2010.

humpbac780.jpg

HUMPBAC Features
  • Trailer bolts firmly to the rim of the vehicle forming a rigid joint
  • Rear section of vehicle is hinged to articulate the trailer's vertical motion
  • Movement of hinged rear section accommodated by a hump in the roof
  • Vehicle rear door can serve as a connecting doorway to the trailer section
  • Front vehicle seats a maximum of 11 people
  • Armoured passenger trailer seats a maximum of 7 people
  • Vehicle with trailer seats a maximum of 18 people
  • Roof mounted remote-controlled machine guns- front, top & tail gun
  • Trailer wheel steering
  • 6-wheel drive
  • Telescopic Rear Axle & Wheels
  • Rotation on the spot
  • Even axle weight distribution
  • 5 : 3 weight & length ratio, 5 (vehicle) : 3 (trailer)

More information - http://scot.tk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1863#1863

This is a design concept for a replacement for MRAP armoured personnel carriers

Wikipedia wrote: MRAP (armored vehicle)

Mine Resistant Ambush Protected (MRAP) vehicles are a family of armored fighting vehicles designed to survive IED attacks and ambushes. IEDs cause the majority (63%) of US deaths in Iraq.
A June 13 report by the Marine Corps Center for Lessons Learned indicated concerns about MRAP vehicles rolling over in combat zones.

The V-shaped hulls of the MRAP give it a higher center of gravity and the weight of the MRAP can cause the poorly built or maintained roads in rural Iraq or Afghanistan to collapse.

Of the 66 MRAP accidents between Nov. 7, 2007 and June 8, 2008, almost 40 were due to rollovers caused by bad roads, weak bridges, or driver error.

In many of the rollovers troops were injured, and in two separate incidents five soldiers have been killed by rolling over into a canal and getting trapped under water. The report said 75% of all rollovers occurred in rural areas often when the road is above grade and a ditch or canal full of water is next to it.

Well I have already ordered one in lime green and purple for the daily commute. If you are going to upset people you might as well do it properly. My set piece will be driving away with the chocs still in place, should be enough power. Boot to the floor and a blast of engine smoke should draw a bit of attention.

Fucking bendy-bus for squaddies! :facepalm:

BTW, how's it supposed to articulate at the hinge when there's bugger all space between the rear of the APC and the trailer, you noddy?

BTW, how's it supposed to articulate at the hinge when there's bugger all space between the rear of the APC and the trailer, you noddy?

From what I can see from his diagram, it doesn't articulate except vertically a bit. There is an orange circle where the centre wheels are and its er - going to spin on that. It seems to me to be more like a Lazy Susan on a large scale than a Bendy Bus. A fairly small IED would take out all of the prop shafts and blow off the tiny wheels though.

That is, without a doubt, one of the stupidest designs I have ever seen.

tbh in order to reduce the risks associated with crushing bridges, rolling over and ieds i have come up with the following:

CH53K_valley_535.jpg

there are a couple of other risks mind

I too have had an idea to reduce fatalities, this time in both operational formation and long term tactical strategy. Observe my simple diagram of a revised troop deployment.

fathers-day-dinner-lg.jpg

Where's this hinge by the way? It looks distinctly unhinged to me.
OK, have a look at the image, the annotated photoshopped-type image.

Can you see the word "Hinge" written on the body-work of the HUMPBAC? It is just above the middle wheel arch, slightly to the left?

Found the word "Hinge"? OK that is a clue that you are close.

Now just to the right of the word "Hinge" there are two concentric black circles, the inner quite a thick circle, the outer circle only really a line. It is immediately above the central wheel arch?

OK that is the end of the hinge. It is a horizontal hinge, the axis of which runs width-wise across the HUMPBAC although the actual metal of the hinge could be only at the left and right sides rather than all the way across.

If you imagine the hinge of a bread bin lid - kind of like that.

That which is always hinged on the hinge, is the "Hinged Rear" to the right of the hinge and it is about a "black-squares" width and it extends up to the top-right of the hump.

When the trailer is attached at the rim to the Hinged Rear, the trailer is also hinged on the hinge.

Thus the trailer is hinged sort of like a hinged box-lid which is normally in the lid closed position and the lid just bounces up and down a bit and that is the degree of freedom the trailer has - vertically, it can bounce up and down on its suspension but has no lateral (left or right) movement, unlike all other trailers you can think of.

Do you follow?

According to Wikipedia the MRAP is already being replaced by this, which is lighter and less likely to crush bridges and roads therefore less likely to roll over.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Mine_resistant_ambush_protected_ATV.jpg

File:Mine_resistant_ambush_protected_ATV.jpg
Yes the Oshkosh M-ATV. That's what the Americans are buying for Afghanistan.

What are British forces doing, apart from using (and rolling over with) Iraq-era MRAPs better suited to surfaced roads than the uneven, sloped dirt tracks of Afghanistan? Does anyone know? Do the MOD know?

The Oshkosh M-ATV also appears to have a lower centre of gravity than old-style MRAPs because it looks a lot more stable and confident on a left-to-right slope.

Well I don't propose to beat the Oshkosh M-ATV for lightness in total though I am very open to bigger tyres than those shown in my image. Bigger tyres could reduce the surface pressure on the road surface somewhat and help with weak road surfaces though bigger tyres could not be big enough to span an entire bridge so if a bridge can't take the weight on one of HUMPBAC's axles (period) then it needs to be avoided, another route found, strengthened or something but not just driven over regardless.

I don't recommend testing the capacity of a bridge with the front wheels and if the bridge collapses relying on the other 4 wheels to pull you back from disaster. No certainly not. ;)

Although lightness helps with weak bridges, it doesn't help with IEDs the blast of which can violently throw a vehicle. Heavy is better with IEDs.

How does the Oshkosh M-ATV deal with a weak bridge with an IED under it? There isn't going to be any bridge after the IED goes off.

Ah, you are one of those foolish people who thinks he knows better and every time you explain one little bit to him he jumps to the next thing he misunderstands and always thinks he knows better but never quite understands.

Firstly it is not a bendy-bus. It doesn't articulate laterally, to the left or the right. So it is not like any trailer or bendy bus you have seen, OK? It only articulates vertically so it can bounce on its own suspension and go over rises and dips in its path without losing an axle off the ground.

Secondly, it doesn't hinge at the connection between the vehicle and the trailer. It bolts on there. The hinge is integral to the rear part of the front vehicle as explained above and clearly marked in the image.

Thirdly, just in case you or someone else jumps to "well how do the trailer wheels point in the right direction then if it can't move left or right" (and then some insult, like "You noddy!").

Listen up fool, it has got "steerable" trailer wheels, which follow the front wheels but in the opposite rotation of the clock, OK?

telescopicrearaxles.jpg

From what I can see from his diagram, it doesn't articulate except vertically a bit.
30 degrees plus or minus on the vertical - that is more than a bit, that is plenty.

There is an orange circle where the centre wheels are and its er - going to spin on that.
Yes the orange circle is notional. You don't get a tin of orange paint with the HUMPBAC. You have to imagine it is there.

Anyway, I don't why you bothered ViolentPanda with the orange circle. He is too full of himself thinking it needs to bend like a bendy bus or I am Noddy.

I am not saying this is easy but if lawnmowers can rotate then I am sure engineering can find a way to get APCs to rotate too.

For the rear "centre" wheels, they need to be driven in opposite directions, left forward, right reverse (or vice-versa). Same for the front and trailer wheels with the added complexity that they also need to be rotated to lie on the appropriate tangent to a circle with the orange dot as its centre.

Now I don't necessarily say this has to be the way to turn the steering wheels but at least it is a suggestion.

Here is an idea. If you need to, please review this diagram of a steering mechanism from Wikipedia on Steering.

OK my idea is you replace parts of the steering rod with pneumatic pistons, either side of the connection to the steering column as follows.

rotationalsteering.jpg

There is an air tank topped up by an air pump which when its valve is turned on inflates the pneumatic pistons now integral to the steering rod. (This should only ever be done while the vehicle is at rest and the driver has selected clockwise or anti-clockwise gear - some kind of safety cut out.)

The air pressure quickly rises (that is why you use air, not hydraulics, it is so much faster if you supply from an air pressure reservoir - there is not a need for huge force, just speed, so pneumatics is the driver of choice I think) and when the air pressure exceeds a critical amount, retaining catches, which normally hold the pistons firmly closed against all manner of road bumps, suddenly break open and the pressurised air forces the pistons open against a spring and the steering rod lengthens to a maximum and the wheels are turned inwards to their respective stops - hard right hand turn for the left hand wheel and hard left hand turn for the right hand wheel, ready for rotation.

It is clear to me that the 45-50 degrees or so maximum turning angle normally is limited by the steering rod at full stretch - not by the wheel bumping into the axle - so 75 degrees in this diagram looks easy.

When you want to revert to normal steering, the system simply releases the air pressure in the pistons and the pistons close with the spring and the pistons snap shut into their retaining catches ready for normal steering.

As you can see this is for rotation about a point mid-way between the rear axle. It is only when I add on my trailer to my armoured personnel carrier that the vehicle does zero turning radius, strictly speaking.

Hence I have always called it "rotation on the spot".

It seems to me to be more like a Lazy Susan on a large scale than a Bendy Bus.
No it actually drives forward, backwards and goes to war, not just serve tea.

A fairly small IED would take out all of the prop shafts and blow off the tiny wheels though.
Do you mean the telescopic rear axle? Well that needs to be braced and the bracing mechanism needs to be complex to cope with the variable telescoping geometry - not drawn, nor even designed as yet.

This is a concept design, showing the features I intend, not detailed design drawings of how each feature is implemented. There is too much which is new to come with a complete solution all worked out. There is only so much a APC designer of 2-weeks experience can achieve. :rolleyes:

The rear wheels sticking out, look like a weak point but if appropriately strengthen and protected, they should be as strong as any axle and wheels can be. I did mention I am open to bigger wheels.

I designed a giant walking robot once.

It had lasers coming out of its eyes and everything.

Those bastards at the MoD didn't understand my vision! :mad: but they'll see one day, oh yeah. They'll be sorry when Uber Robotron crushes their puny armies and makes me leader of Tommersonia.

Losers!

I'm guessing that the next step is for you to accuse everyone of being criminals, gangsters and potential killers for not recognising the value of this life saving design.

I really have to dig out that copy of your Masters dissertation. That was just golden.

Back
Top Bottom