Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Mighty Hoopla, Cross The Tracks, Wide Awake & City Splash festivals, Brockwell Park - discussion

"I cant help but wonder, will there be the same amount of fuss about the noise from a camp pop festival than the predominantly house/techno music from Field Day on Saturday? Why was yesterday tolerated to go louder? "
Was it actually louder? People seem to be saying so. I live about .9 of a mile from the mainstage, measured straightline. We could hear that it was happening on Saturday, a faint undertow, but I put yesterday's clarity down to different weather conditions - wind direction , humidity, temperature causing rising heat, which would all affect the way the sound travelled.

Not that I would dream of complaining about the noise we heard - it was over by bed time and way better than the in-car sound systems that regularly grace us with a flash of the owner's music choice.
It didn't sound any louder to me, apart from the people singing along. Maybe it could be the wind or maybe there's just less ambient noise on a Sunday so it sounded louder...?

Under the new order the STFU has gone (as has the jazz tbh) and it really needs reinstating. Its like a busy pub in there ... Puts me off going back to some degree. With louder having it acts it's bearable, but any softer moments is embarrassing as well as annoying

I saw The Resonators a few weeks back and it was great. I like the new layout. Can't wait to get a go in that new dj booth. They sortef that fucked speaker after 3 years of gigs that crackled out the left side.

More jazz is required. I saw Horace Silver, Gene Harris, Jimmy Smith, The Skatalites there back in the olden times....and met and spoke with them too....

It didn't sound any louder to me, apart from the people singing along. Maybe it could be the wind or maybe there's just less ambient noise on a Sunday so it sounded louder...?

On Brixton Hill we didn't hear anything on Friday or Saturday, but yesterday was clear as a bell from about 5 onwards. I think it was the wind as we didn't hear much earlier on Sunday

I couldnt hear anything Friday or Saturday from where i was, yesterday afternoon it was heard loud and clear. For the sake of all the people who went yesterday, im glad it was loud(er). Im just disappointed (but not the least bit surprised) it wasnt loud enough when i went on Saturday, and my enjoyment of some very talented Dj's sets was tainted.

Pics:

field-day-saturday-2018-01.jpg

field-day-saturday-2018-03.jpg

field-day-saturday-2018-16.jpg

field-day-saturday-2018-18.jpg

field-day-saturday-2018-30.jpg

In photos: Bigger crowds and an uncomfortable crush at Field Day in Brockwell Park, Sat 2nd June 2018

Other things I didn't like: a rule banning anyone from bringing in a backpack over A4 in size and having my water bottle taken off me at the gate.

Probably a bunch of Four Tet and Floating Points fans self flagellating over the tune selection and failure to get in the tent.
That's as maybe but why would they hide the entire thread? Is that what they usually do?

I live locally and the sound or crowds didn't bother me at all.
Difficult to get to sleep on friday night with ocassional party goers shouting down the street, but it was all over by about midnight - so I was thankful for that. Got really trolleyed on sat so I would have slept though anything. During the day only heard occasional bits of music - which sounded really non-descipt at best.

Everyone sitting outside the Regent saw five big police buses scream up there early Friday evening, blue lights flashing and storming in by the Lido. They trickled out a few at a time, went quietly away, with the last 2 WPCs carrying armfuls of brown paper bags - large amount of seized contraband? or jerk chicken for the whole station?

The coralling and stewarding of crowds seemed to work out ok, though it was quite a battle to walk again the flow. Huge numbers of police out in the streets around all weekend - how much did that cost and who pays I wonder?

This is dreadful:

A gay guy was attacked with rocks after leaving queer music festival Mighty Hoopla in London.

Teens yelled homophobic slurs and pelted Jeff Ingold, the media manager at Stonewall, with rocks.

Attacked with rocks after Mighty Hoopla
This is what Jeff has to say:

Last night, I was walking to the corner store with some friends and we passed a group of teenagers. We had just come from a queer music festival, so we were coated in glitter and I had on my best hot pink crop top. The teenagers started following us, yelling homophobic slurs and began to throw rocks at us.

Two of which hit me in the back of the hea
https://www.gaystarnews.com/article...ving-queer-festival-mighty-hoopla/#gs.RRHSM0Q

I'm hearing plenty of dodgy comments about the security and drugs but probably best not to repeat them here.

Plenty of these about over that issue.

View attachment 137323

You were there in a journalistic capacity. On the second day people claimed they were being "crushed" in the crowds, yet field Day assure us that "the number on site was within the increased licensed capacity". There are myriad allegations that security were selling drugs, and drugged-up young people can die on hot hot days at festivals. Both of these issues are vastly more important than details about what the bands were wearing, and both raise serious questions as to whether Lambeth were right to sanction the event. They are also the kind of things that Brixton Buzz should be looking at, especially given that they received free tickets for the event.

You were there in a journalistic capacity. On the second day people claimed they were being "crushed" in the crowds, yet field Day assure us that "the number on site was within the increased licensed capacity". There are myriad allegations that security were selling drugs, and drugged-up young people can die on hot hot days at festivals. Both of these issues are vastly more important than details about what the bands were wearing, and both raise serious questions as to whether Lambeth were right to sanction the event. They are also the kind of things that Brixton Buzz should be looking at, especially given that they received free tickets for the event.
You seem to be expecting an awful lot from an unpaid, volunteer website run by a handful of people in their spare time that has already provided far more coverage and background to the whole issue of the festivals being put on at the park than anyone else.

Instead of barking out orders like you're some kind of boss, why don't you get off your arse and do some digging yourself if you view it as such an important issue? I'd be delighted to publish your findings - or is that too much like hard work for you?

Oh, and where have you seen these "myriad allegations that security were selling drugs"? Source please.

Here’s one of the myriad of accusations
Exactly where does it state that they were 'selling drugs'?

Now please list the rest of these 'myriad' accusations of security selling drugs that you claim to be party to, along with your source. Thanks.

FYI:
Myriad: a countless or extremely great number.

Back
Top Bottom