Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Mighty Hoopla, Cross The Tracks, Wide Awake & City Splash festivals, Brockwell Park - discussion

I would be happier to know how much money is made and where it goes. Because from where I stand, the council are sailing very close to the edge financially and yet all the services and places that you'd want to see investment in, don't seem to be getting it. I do however see a lot of money coming in from various sources, albeit for more specific targets, and it not being used very well. Also ongoing is the top heavy management of people who are paid an awful lot when so many services are failing.

But before I digress, I wonder how people feel about the Pokeman festival. It's not a music festival that many on here enjoy and it's very unknown but with 10 000 people looking for Pokeman, could be very damaging to the wildlife. Is it going to be enclosed?
Prob showing what a hard on for the council I have by replying (🙄) but the Pokémon thing isn’t enclosed. More info here:

More clarification from Lucky Jim on the sums involved:

£500k is not to be sniffed at. It's handy how the bonus of a free Country Show is factored in. The Country Show has always been free, albeit in a very, very different incarnation without that stupid bloody Great Wall.

With every day time festival there is in London there will be a tiny, very vocal minority who absolutely hate the fact there are events in their nearby park, and will go on a fanatical crusade to stop them. You only have to look at that Brockwell Park Event twitter feed, or the East Dulwich Forum who have been moaning about Gala Festival on Peckham Rye which was last weekend, for months. They'll try and pin anything possible negative on the event, even though its quite normal on a warm summers day (such as litter placed beside full bins), and generally try and whip up as much opposition and fluster as they can to get the event moved somewhere that is not-in-my-backyard. Whilst it is quite funny to read, its also pretty pathetic and quite depressing to see such intolerance in our city. I get the feeling that this led to the eventual demise of festivals on Clapham Common.

I think the vast majority (most of which are silent) are ambivalent about the events, they might enjoy hearing a bit of music from their garden, but be a bit pissed off at extra traffic or having extra drunk people stumbling about not watching where they are going. Ultimately they dont mind a festival near where they live and understand they live in a city, and cities are lively places. They have more important things to worry about or are just generally tolerant of things.

I would be in the large minority camp (again most are silent) that enjoys having the buzz of extra activity in the area, and seeing happy people on the way to and from a music festival. Im amused by extra drunk people in the street, as long as they aren't violent and by and large use the portaloos provided at every one of these events. I also enjoy going to the events themselves, although dislike the fact everything suddenly turns off at 10pm, but understand at the same time. If i want to walk through the park when the festival fence it up, i do so in the 50% of the park that is unaffected.

These arguments will rumble on forever, but i dont think the events will be going anywhere anytime soon. The differences will be that ticket and drinks prices will go up (extra fencing, staff and sound monitoring cost money), volume and finishing times will go down as more stipulations are put on the licenses due to the first category above. Theyll still stand around, absolutely fuming, waving their fists at the sky and moaning to anyone who will listen though :p

Last edited:
Not saying this is explicit in the post above (though I’d argue it’s implicit) but I wonder why there’s a tendency to lump all people with reservations together, often to downplay the reasons. Because “the park will be very busy”, “there may be drunk people” and “I have to walk further to go through it” reasons are rather different from “you can hear the baseline in every room and people in my household need to sleep/concentrate/have sensory issues” reasons.

Again not objecting myself but I can definitely see why those nearer might.

£500k sounds like a lot on paper, but if you have say 100k people over the festival period isn't that only contributing a fiver each? Tickets cost many multiples of that I'd imagine.

What amount of private profit is acceptable from the renting out of public land? What price do we put on wildlife, biodiversity and peace and quiet? :)

It’s so weird how the noise travels - we live 15-20 minutes from the action and it sounds like it’s happening in the next street when walking around certain roads/when the upstairs windows are open. Is it to do with what direction the stages are set up? I know wind plays a part but probably not this consistently.

On the plus side there were a couple of years when we could see the paid for fireworks in our garden, admittedly by taking turns to stand up the step ladder :D

I do get your point about the council funding :(
The noise is weird - obviously to do with the wind and i guess the way the speaker stacks are orientated, but it seems to change at times for no apparent reason. One thing I have noticed is that the houses at the other side of the T-junction at the end of our road sometimes act like a sound mirror and send the noise back down the road, which sounds very strange

The noise is weird - obviously to do with the wind and i guess the way the speaker stacks are orientated, but it seems to change at times for no apparent reason. One thing I have noticed is that the houses at the other side of the T-junction at the end of our road sometimes act like a sound mirror and send the noise back down the road, which sounds very strange
It definitely reflects off buildings. Our house faces towards the park. We’re about 200m from one of the main gates but the estate across the street muffles it into indistinct booming. Yet in our back garden, which is at a higher elevation, we can hear every word really clearly, but as though it is coming from the opposite direction - due to the sound bouncing off the houses behind us.

It’s been noisy as hell here the past few days, and the kids have certainly not slept that well, and we’ve yet to ever be allocated any of the free residents’ tickets that are meant to take the edge off the inconvenience.

Despite all that, I’m one of the ambivalent majority who quite enjoys the life and energy these things bring to the area. For me they are one of the signals of the start of summer - which I think London always does so well.

I think this polarisation is really unhelpful and unfair. I’ve not actually seen anyone saying they shouldn’t be on but it’s fair enough to point out it’s not without cost for a lot of local people. Likewise commenting on how 3 days has expanded to 7 days across 10…
Actually it's 3 wekends (including country fair this year)
My friends live across the road from that open air gym square bit, they get all the work shift they can during this time. (never managed to get a free ticket either)

They were just about done packing in Burgess park when I went for a walk there yesterday.

I see Dulwich Park has Pub in the Park over two days next weekend... 🥳
I can only imagine how cringey this event is. No doubt heralded by the good people of Dulwich as a brilliant day out for the family, whilst they demonise Gala for ruining the ground and killing the wildlife of Peckham Rye, ' revellers defecating in doorways', leaving loads of litter, attracting drug dealers, causing traffic...ad nauseum

I agree the whole vibe of those 'Pub in the Park' events look awful. festivals for people who don't want to go to a festival. they have one in Marlow, which says a lot.

I agree the whole vibe of those 'Pub in the Park' events look awful. festivals for people who don't want to go to a festival. they have one in Marlow, which says a lot.
They may not want to go to a festival, but im sure there will be many people wearing Hunter branded wellies, even though its not muddy, because 'that's what you are supposed to wear at a festival'. ;)

Interesting to think the response if it had been some heavy Drill. Would there have been even more outrage?

Was fairly loud our side of the park simply because of wind direction and speed.

The most annoying thing about this weekend was the repeated “tip of the tongue” syndrome about various songs I recognised but couldn’t place :mad::D

Had a family BBQ in the garden with the pleasing background sound of cheesy pop :cool:

Still feel sorry for all the last minute GCSE revisers though :(

The "baby you're all that I want" song seemed to go on for 30 mins. It's like they booked the same DJ as your uncle's wedding.

I dislike pop music quite strongly, however if a camp pop music festival was happening nearby, how can you not be entertained by the flamboyance and light hearted atmosphere?

This person behind 'Brockwell Park Event' comes across as a prize twat, and you wonder what they'll do with themselves once the events end and the fence starts coming down next week. All this frothing at the mouth may well be the highlight of their year, rather ironically.

Hopefully he or she sticks around and continues to get hugely pissed off every year.

The festivals in Brockwell Park story was the leading story on BBC News London yesterday evening. There was an interview with a man (member of some sort of Brockwell Park committee) who was lucky enough to live on one of the top floors of the ex council blocks beside the park with a magnificent view across it he was proud to show off. He went onto insist, without irony, that 'this is my backyard' and 'i dont want this sort of thing in my backyard'.

They then interviewed a few presumably passersby near the miniature railway who were all very pragmatic and overall supportive about the events in the park. One commented that they can still reach the kids playground, but they have to walk a bit further for a couple of weeks.

I felt this BBC investigation may have been a pretty decent local snapshot of how local people are feeling. For every privileged NIMBY there is at least 3 people who don't mind what's going on.

Last edited:
No matter where people stand on it, it has to be better to do all the festivals in one block (and before school holidays start) rather than spreading them out across the summer.

The guy on the top floor with the sweeping park views sounds fairly miserable.

Back
Top Bottom