Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Microwave Oven - How to get the best out of it

just a crack though or fucking mice'll be in it crapping and pissing and I'll probably end up shutting one in there to die of thirst or nuking it (we still have a mouse problem).

:eek:

The destruction manual says not to use wheat bags or non food items in the oven, I guess this is just typical warranty arse-covering as they cannot vouch for whether a product being heated might be poorly made or defective?

dunno. not sure if i've still got the book that came with mine, or whether those wheat bag things were a thing then. i can't see why not.

:eek:

dunno. not sure if i've still got the book that came with mine, or whether those wheat bag things were a thing then. i can't see why not.
I've got a wheat bag. Doesn't knacker the micro but it does leave it a bit whiffy.
ETA. I put one on for too long years ago and it burnt causing a massive stink in the house.

I've got a wheat bag. Doesn't knacker the micro but it does leave it a bit whiffy.
ETA. I put one on for too long years ago and it burnt causing a massive stink in the house.

I can see that it might be a potential hazard if left too long, so I expect that is what the "do not..." instruction is about - so just exercise caution and don't put it on for too long or leave unattended is probably the sensible approach :thumbs:

I can see that it might be a potential hazard if left too long, so I expect that is what the "do not..." instruction is about - so just exercise caution and don't put it on for too long or leave unattended is probably the sensible approach :thumbs:

oops.

yes - i've got two, one is 1 minute cooking time, the other is 2 minutes - i did put the 1 minute one on for 2 minutes once, and realised something was not quite right about 1 1/2 minutes in... it didn't go as far as catching fire, though

Yep, I hadn't used mine for ages. When I took it out the micro first time it was still damp, put it back in on, ' heat up you bastard ' full power and had to throw it in the garden smouldering :oops: .

Yep, I hadn't used mine for ages. When I took it out the micro first time it was still damp, put it back in on, ' heat up you bastard ' full power and had to throw it in the garden smouldering :oops: .
Always remember cooking a large pyrex bowl of rice in the then new microwave when my parents first bought it - got the times drastically wrong. The rice was carbonised and glowing red in the centre of the bowl. Had to carefully take it out to the garden to let it cool down - but pyrex are telling the truth about their goods, they really can handle very high temperatures.

There’s Stephen Kings salmon fillet which proper cooks said was his scariest work ever……

But try it, it’s OK 😱

“Dinner: get a nice salmon filet at the supermarket, not too big,” the 74-year-old “The Shining” author wrote to his 6.6 million Twitter followers.

“Put some olive oil and lemon juice on it. Wrap it in damp paper towels,” King continued. “Nuke it in the microwave for 3 minutes or so. Eat it. Maybe add a salad.”

There’s Stephen Kings salmon fillet which proper cooks said was his scariest work ever……

But try it, it’s OK 😱

“Dinner: get a nice salmon filet at the supermarket, not too big,” the 74-year-old “The Shining” author wrote to his 6.6 million Twitter followers.

“Put some olive oil and lemon juice on it. Wrap it in damp paper towels,” King continued. “Nuke it in the microwave for 3 minutes or so. Eat it. Maybe add a salad.”

Ah yeah I've been googling a bit and this "damp paper towels" thing keeps cropping up. Better buy some kitchen roll.

Yep certainly will be starting roasties off that way rather than parboiling on the hob, will save space as I only have 2 working hobs I only had to hobs mo

oops.

yes - i've got two, one is 1 minute cooking time, the other is 2 minutes - i did put the 1 minute one on for 2 minutes once, and realised something was not quite right about 1 1/2 minutes in... it didn't go as far as catching fire, though
How long you heat them is to do with the weight of them, think it's 2 mins for 500g but it's a long time since I looked it up(was making my own for a while) so double check :)

How long you heat them is to do with the weight of them, think it's 2 mins for 500g but it's a long time since I looked it up(was making my own for a while) so double check :)

tbh it says on the label on each one (that i have / had) - was more me not quite thinking clearly at the time...

Last edited:
I forgot to say, ……. Meringues. Obviously not as beautiful light and crispy as their cooked for hours in traditional oven cousins but they’re OK

And they’re magic. Real kids and big kids like me never get tired of watching them puff up 🤣

I did go to Asda today and got 2 of their own brand 1l glass roasting dishes with clip on plastic lids, can go in fridge, freezer, microwave oven, or conventional oven (the latter without the lid on) - the lids have an open and close vent for microwave use so that is perfect. £2.50 each, I wanted those anyway and they'll get a lot of use.

Also got 2 x small glass bowls which will be useful for doing small amounts of steamed veg, and a pack of plastic storage boxes of various different sizes which can be used in the microwave as long as the lid isn't pushed down to seal it so that steam can escape - also useful for packed lunches and the like.

I cooked some new potatoes earlier, 5 minutes and job done, that's a big difference compared to doing it in a pan of water on the hob - and absolutely no difference in the way they turn out, it's still just steamed spuds.

Also heated some shop bought naan bread in it - that is something I will do under the grill next time or in the oven as usual if I have the oven on for other stuff (I didn't today) - it was ok and tasted fine but it needs a bit of direct heat for textural/structural integrity reasons.

Last edited:
OH was able to have a jacket spud for tea before he went to work, pre-microwave that would have required advanced planning and me remembering to put the oven on/spud in long before he woke up.

Am liking this whole "I fancy a jacket spud now" thing. If I was doing for me I'd be inclined to stick it in the air fryer for 5 minutes afterwards to crisp up the skin a bit, but OH prefers his non crispy so no need for that.

Given how often he wants jacket spuds, this is going to save quite a lot of electricity.

Back
Top Bottom