Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Merthyr Town also in crisis

Interesting. I went to Chesham High School and a History teacher, Geoff Anthony, was a bit of a local hero - playing for Chesham United and Wycombe Wanderers amongst others.

Pretty sure he won some amateur caps for Wales too. I wonder if that had any connection to what Roger D refers to above? This would have been late 70s early 80s.

Edited to add: This was the chap: Slough Town FC

No, Roger was referring to around the time they won the Isthmian League, which was 1997, from vague memory.

No, Roger was referring to around the time they won the Isthmian League, which was 1997, from vague memory.
It was 1992/3, our first season back in the Premier, they beat Hamlet 4-0 on the final day of the season and received the trophy on the pitch. It was the 15th anniversary of us being presented with the D1 trophy at my first Hamlet match. Their benefactor Tony Aplin was Welsh and his brother Gerald was manager. Several of their players were in the Merthyr Tydfil side that beat us in a FA Cup 4th qualifying replay 3 seasons earlier. For reasons I don't remember they weren't promoted to the Conference and were relegated to D1 in 1995.

Last edited:
Good piece. And this is a salient point:
Anyone can “claim” to be losing a million pounds a year if they don’t have to produce forensic accounts. Funny how these fans run clubs like Newport, Exeter, Wimbledon, Wycombe, etc that DO have to disclose their accounts always manage to break even on the same gates as us but have ten times better teams. How does that work out then ?

Back
Top Bottom