Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Men's Road cycle race at Boxhill

barabrith

Having failed again at getting a ticket to see the race at Boxhill, where would be a good alternative spot to watch it around there?

Somewhere on the circuit round box hill, if you look up the route and where the ticketed areas are, you can view from the road just after the zig zags. Forget the road name now but it's as the race heads east before turning to loop back round via Headley

Will lost a Google maps later if I remember, on phone atm

We are planning on walking up there ourselves

ok, here you go.

the official 'ticketed' area is along the Zig Zag road from the bottom of Box Hill up to the top, from what I can work out from the official guff, it ends around about opposite the viewing point, with the field behind the viewing point being used as an area for food, bogs and a big screen to watch the rest of the race (for ticket holders)

by my guess, either just to the west of the 'smith and western box hill' or certainly to the east of that point should be public viewing. I certainly hope it is anyway as that is where we are intending to walk up with provisions from our house which is about two miles or so south of there.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=box hill&hl=en&ll=51.250151,-0.293584&spn=0.014398,0.042272&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&hnear=Box Hill&t=m&z=15

eta - if you look at the link here, the yellow pointer on the map on this site points to roughly where the viewpoint is and the field behind it is where the ticketed area i mentioned earlier is (and in theory, ends)

http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/box-hill/

just in case you don't know, Box Hill Road is long and it continues down to Headley Common Road, where the riders turn left and head over Headley Heath

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=National Trust Box Hill&hl=en&ll=51.261029,-0.26144&spn=0.014394,0.042272&sll=51.286202,-0.294392&sspn=0.460372,1.352692&t=h&hq=National Trust&hnear=Box Hill&fll=51.255765,-0.273156&fspn=0.014396,0.042272&z=15

along the Headley Heath Road would also be a good viewing area, but the way the car parking and/or train access is being set up, its mostly from the South (Dorking) so would be a big old walk if you were coming from that side.

the route turns LEFT at Church Lane on this next link, from their down to where it begins the loop again is pretty narrow, banked lanes and unless farmers are opening up fields, i can't see it would be the best to view from

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=National Trust Box Hill&hl=en&ll=51.270642,-0.270882&spn=0.014391,0.042272&sll=51.286202,-0.294392&sspn=0.460372,1.352692&t=h&hq=National Trust&hnear=Box Hill&fll=51.268145,-0.270452&fspn=0.014392,0.042272&z=15

hope this is helpful, apols if you know all this already. if you want to know owt else, i will try and answer, am very local :)

Why stick to Box Hill though? The race goes for frigging miles, there'll be many less crowded spots, anywhere on the hill up to Newland's Corner would be good.

They're pretty much going past my front door, so may stick me nose out.

Cos it goes round the loop at box hill nine times so you get a lot more viewing opportunities

Makes sense I suppose. Although I suspect that once they've gone past my house the once I'll be happy enough to go do something else, until the next day when the women do it all again.

Will it be worth it? My cousin is getting married on the Isle of Wight on the 28th, we could have a nice weekend on the island with a free piss up, but I;m thinking of blowing it out to watch some people on bicycles?

I'd go to the wedding. I'm only going cos it's walkable tbh and then head down the boozer after to catch the finish

I shall take your advice.

Don't like my cousin much, but a free piss up and a weekend away sounds OK.

Missed the London-Surrey Classic thing last year too, was stuck on the M25, running out of petrol* on the way back from Gatwick at the time. World of pain this cycling stuff.

*left the car with the valet parkers with 1/2 a tank too :mad:

Back
Top Bottom