Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

memory lane of my earlier cars

OzT

Online early mornings when at work ....
Hi, you remember your earlier cars? Maybe cars you may have really wanted but couldn't afford so did a comprimise. And now whilst I have a newer car my interests in cars are from the 60s to 70s, cause those where the cars I had and because money was tight I got to know them quite well cause most of them needed constant work. Plus you could do all the work yourself in those days, no need for electronic equipment. Most cars lasted me less than a year, usualy until the MOT failures!! LOL! But then paid peanuts for them cause they were at the end of their lives anyway.

Listing cars I owned up to the 80s, and hope you hear about your earlier cars and comments on them.

Ford Pop 101 - three speeder, car I learnt to drive in. Must have been 3 feet travel between the gears!

Triumph Herald - the first cars I brought, first one cost £15, last one £35. I had all 3 variants, 1200, 12/50 and 13/60. First one I ran into a girder sticking out back of a parked truck, took roof off passendger side, luckily, bent A frame unusable after. 12/50 lost a king pin scrapped. the king pin colloapsed about midnight pulling away from a traffic light on my first hot date with this girl, sadly by the time I got a tow truck over she had phoned her folks (from a phone box) and gone home. 13/60 failed MOT badly. Can't belive what they are worth now! With the downdraft single Zenith carbs i could pretend they were Webers :) Think the 13/60 had Strombergs with oil dashpot.

Wolsley 1500 - reliable, pulled like a train up hills, got blown about on open carriage ways on windy days, scrapped after a bloke backed into it and both wings popped up, they were fiberglass.

Triumph 1300 - I fell in love with the christmas tree warning lights, just had to have one. Got a bewdy one, red with white interior. Wanted one so much and with a lack of cash meant can only afford one at the end oif its life. Disappointed all round with performance but still loved the dash board. Clutch broke up on me just befoire I was going on holidays, but easy to change from inside the car. Ran it till the big ends finally dropped out and no compression left.

Hillman Hunter 1725 - another cheap buy but enjoyed it very much. Had the old ribbon speedo, I put a centre console in it to try and make it look like a Humber, a few bolt on dials, even made to measure carpets! Expensive to run, think I did at most 20 miles to the gallon. Scrapped.

Morris Minor pickup - picked it up at an auction. Had air horns on the roof, a marine ply decking cover at the back, hand start most of the time, only had to change condesor and points once, sold it to get

Victors, FD/FE - Had 3 of them, including a VX/490 orange body with white vynal roof, overdrive (didn't work) and go faster stripes. Loved them cause they were smaller versions of the Kingswood from home plus I couldn't afford the Mk III Cortina which was what I wanted. I loved the coke shaped cars which were the rage then. The saloon one lost a cam belt, then the other, an estate auto, went for ages until I sold it to get... the VX/490 I left at terminal 3 car park at Heathrow

Consul 2.5 - Nice V6, when running well, but crap in most departments. I slided round most corners if I touch the throttle. Wanted a Granada but Consuls were cheaper. Got stolen in Canterbury.

Renault 16 TL - Increadibly comfy and reliable until it gave up on me

Capri 1.6 GT GXLR Got it cheap from the aution just because of all the letters in the name, the twin down draught Webbers, and it impressed the ladies down the pub! Sold for virtually nothing when it failed the MOT
Fiat 130 - Wow what a car! Went like a bomb and was cheap, scrapped for an even cheaper...

Mini estate - beautiful run around, floor fell out scrapped

Cortina Mk III estate - finally can afford a Mk III, by then they were old cars. Stolen, as a lot of the old Fords were, so easy to get in and drive away

After the Ford I got a better job and maybe a bit better cars, but the cars though better to me lost a lot of the appeal and magic of the older cars.

Hope you enjoyed reading my old cars and maybe go ahhh yeah I had one of those too. Why not tell some stories about your older 60s-70s cars as well?

Last edited:
Your cars OzT are a bit before my time, my oldest and first car was an Austin Allegro about 30 years ago.

The only good thing I would recall about it was that it had furry seat covers and the front seats folded right back so it became a furry double bed for sleeping in :)

Hi, you remember your earlier cars? Maybe cars you may have really wanted but couldn't afford so did a comprimise. And now whilst I have a newer car my interests in cars are from the 60s to 70s, cause those where the cars I had and because money was tight I got to know them quite well cause most of them needed constant work. Plus you could do all the work yourself in those days, no need for electronic equipment. Most cars lasted me less than a year, usualy until the MOT failures!! LOL! But then paid peanuts for them cause they were at the end of their lives anyway.

Listing cars I owned up to the 80s, and hope you hear about your earlier cars and comments on them.

Ford Pop 101 - three speeder, car I learnt to drive in. Must have been 3 feet travel between the gears!

Triumph Herald - the first cars I brought, first one cost £15, last one £35. I had all 3 variants, 1200, 12/50 and 13/60. First one I ran into a girder sticking out back of a parked truck, took roof off passendger side, luckily, bent A frame unusable after. 12/50 lost a king pin scrapped. the king pin colloapsed about midnight pulling away from a traffic light on my first hot date with this girl, sadly by the time I got a tow truck over she had phoned her folks (from a phone box) and gone home. 13/60 failed MOT badly. Can't belive what they are worth now! With the downdraft single Zenith carbs i could pretend they were Webers :) Think the 13/60 had Strombergs with oil dashpot.

Wolsley 1500 - reliable, pulled like a train up hills, got blown about on open carriage ways on windy days, scrapped after a bloke backed into it and both wings popped up, they were fiberglass.

Triumph 1300 - I fell in love with the christmas tree warning lights, just had to have one. Got a bewdy one, red with white interior. Wanted one so much and with a lack of cash meant can only afford one at the end oif its life. Disappointed all round with performance but still loved the dash board. Clutch broke up on me just befoire I was going on holidays, but easy to change from inside the car. Ran it till the big ends finally dropped out and no compression left.

Hillman Hunter 1725 - another cheap buy but enjoyed it very much. Had the old ribbon speedo, I put a centre console in it to try and make it look like a Humber, a few bolt on dials, even made to measure carpets! Expensive to run, think I did at most 20 miles to the gallon. Scrapped.

Morris Minor pickup - picked it up at an auction. Had air horns on the roof, a marine ply decking cover at the back, hand start most of the time, only had to change condesor and points once, sold it to get

Victors, FD/FE - Had 3 of them, including a VX/490 orange body with white vynal roof, overdrive (didn't work) and go faster stripes. Loved them cause they were smaller versions of the Kingswood from home plus I couldn't afford the Mk III Cortina which was what I wanted. I loved the coke shaped cars which were the rage then. The saloon one lost a cam belt, then the other, an estate auto, went for ages until I sold it to get... the VX/490 I left at terminal 3 car park at Heathrow

Consul 2.5 - Nice V6, when running well, but crap in most departments. I slided round most corners if I touch the throttle. Wanted a Granada but Consuls were cheaper. Got stolen in Canterbury.

Capri 1.6 GT GXLR Got it cheap from the aution just because of all the letters in the name, the twin down draught Webbers, and it impressed the ladies down the pub! Sold for virtually nothing when it failed the MOT
Fiat 130 - Wow what a car! Went like a bomb and was cheap, scrapped for an even cheaper...

Cortina Mk III estate - finally can afford a Mk III, by then they were old cars. Stolen, as a lot of the old Fords were, so easy to get in and drive away

After the Ford I got a better job and maybe a bit better cars, but the cars though better to me lost a lot of the appeal and magic of the older cars.

Hope you enjoyed reading my old cars and maybe go ahhh yeah I had one of those too. Why not tell some stories about your older 60s-70s cars as well?
How old are you OzT?

I'm 58 in years, 28 when down the pub :)

Also got a Matchless 500cc single and a Norton 750 commando if anyone wants to chat about old bikes!

Had a friend with an 850 Norton Commando.
It was usually being rebuilt, but when it ran it was surprisingly quick.

Oh the imfamous square steering wheel Allegros. End of the line for the hydrolastic suspensions i think? Also subframed cars, great for crabbing!!

Yeah the 850 was nice, but a bit slower than the 750s, and that starter motor I believe was a waste of time. Built for the US market but like a lot of other engines depowered for emmision. Also what was that cross over linkage about for the left foot gear change???

Last edited:

Also got a Matchless 500cc single and a Norton 750 commando if anyone wants to chat about old bikes!

I and a buddy had the on and off road versions of this Japanese 500cc single.
300px-Xt500.JPG

I never really owned a British bike, I was planning to build a sort of low rider out of a cast iron pre-unit Triumph 650, a Norton hard tail frame, Yamaha forks mated to a BSA drum brake front wheel. It would have sort of been a "Triton" but although I got all the constituent parts I never managed to mate them together into a coherent bike. Probably a good thing as I imagine it would have handled like a pig!

I learned to drive in a sit up and beg Ford Pop my grandad had a win on the horses and bought brand new and when he died my mum inherited it and I passed my test in it three days after my fifteenth birthday,I'd been driving around illegally for a year or more.
I can't remember all the cars I've owned 54 Vauxhall was first then in no particular order 37 Bedford bread van (no synchro on box),37 Chev coupe,Mark 1 Vanguard space master (total piece of shit),Mark 3 Zephyr shooting brake,Mark 1 Consul,Mini panel van,couple of Chrysler Valiants,Mark one LWB Transit,Mark one Transit diesel pick up, Series one Landrover two one SWB one LWB diesels (perkins) many others that have dropped out of memory.
Also had a 74 Mk2a Commando interstate (850 but before they came up with the stupid idea of sticking a electric starter on a light weight bike) few mods,production racer head steady,Dunstall 2 into one into two exhaust,ported and polished head don't think a 750 had the legs on it,certainly beamers,guzzles and honda fours where easy enough to blow off.Did 30,000 miles around the place including Nord Kapp Pakistan and points in between,loved that bike.
Also had a Herald if you had the balls you could make a u turn at thirty mile an hour in a normal street,also Mk 3 Cortina Dagenham dustbin' used to work there when they made the things.
E2a: actual I learned to drive in the old mans 57 Chevy well enough to steal it at 13 and run of to the grandparents home 150 miles away complete with dog unfortunately the law caught me and even though I could have out run them I couldn't be bothered so gave up.

Last edited:
i've only got one 'previous car' which was a mid 1980s mk 2 ford fiesta rustbucket which i had for about 3 years before it had to be put out of its misery

i got current puddymobile 20 years ago with about 35,000 miles on the clock. think we'll reach 200,000 some time next year

Had a friend with an 850 Norton Commando.
It was usually being rebuilt, but when it ran it was surprisingly quick.
The 850's (828 actual) were considerably more robust than the 750's,the problem was crankshaft flexing and roller bearings with sharp edges that chews up the bearings races,the 850 had extra webbing to stiffen the crankcase and barrel shaped roller bearings which did away with the sharp edges much stronger motor.

I remember being surprised how fast a Vincent Black Shadow was when on a ride with one. Of course I was on a Japanese 500cc single so I shouldn't have expected to be able to keep up, but still, a venerable machine and not often seen riding fast these days.

Which also reminds me of going to hill climbs and watching JAP engined machines charging up the hill. I will have to find some hillclimbs round here to go to.

I was pillion on a Triumph Bonnie 750 ...black with a gorgeous burnt orange tank, from London to the South of France. I was 16 and meant to be O Level revising so must have had a long break. We camped on a site by the beach near St Raphael ( I think) for six weeks , the tent would've been behind me I reckon and other than that we had
What we could pack into 2 small soft pannier bags. It was sweltering and I spent the whole time in a pair of red shorts and a T-shirt. Discovered chips and mayonnaise.
We had to sleep with the bike chained to our legs after the site owner told us people had tried to steal it. I loved the sound of that bike, it was an amazing trip.
Ended up over staying, got back to school late , term had started ...walked in with cotton wool balls in my mouth and a load of blarney about having my wisdom teeth out.

One of my first motorbike memories was riding pillion on a Triumph Bonnevile going over the Hammersmith Flyover at about 80mph. It was only a short ride but I was hooked!

weltweit: The Vincent would've been fast but wouldn't have thought it was particularly quick. Never had a chance to ride with one, only seen them in car parks. But the sort of engineering I like, solid :) there's Shere hill climb this weekend if you can get out of town. And yeah, the 850 was the same AMC gearbox used in a all AMC bikes, right foot change but using a rod to bring it to the left foot for the US market. And that lowrider you soudl be buildiong would be a bitsa, not a triton..... lol!

peterkro: we learnt to drive in the same car, the sit up beg Ford Pop! Didn't know England had Valiants, but then I wasn't in England when they would've been around. And with the chevys and spacemaster makes me think you must have some aussie there. My Commando's a Mk V, last of the 750s. Was the 2a the large 850 Interstate? They were better enginnered for surte but in standard trim always thought they were slower than the 750s.

I got the Matchless in 76, my first big bike after I past my test on a Triumph 250 Trail Blazer. Kept the matchless in between had a Yamaha YDS7, for a 250 that thing went like that stuff off a shovel at traffic lights, a steady Honda 350 that shed its cam chain on the way back from my first trip down the west country. An XS650 which was probably better than a Bonnie, if not the style, a 650SS Dominator cafe racer that was very fast and nice to ride, once you can get the thing to start. Brought the Commando when I went to Jack Lilys to get a new Truimph 900. Saw it there and reminded me how I wanted opne of those in 76 when I couldn't afford it, hence the Matchless for £30. So I brought the Commando instead of a new Triumph and have not been disappointed. Was all I thought it was going to be and I think i woudl not have been very safe with it in 76 lol!! The last bike I brought was the Flying Brick, 750 BMW, used for a long trip to Europe and sold afterwards.

Puddy_tat: Fiesta's I think were good run around cars, better than the Metro or 214's etc round at that time. So what's the curent puddymobile? If you're looking for 200k guess a diesel of some sort?

editor: For sure get the Zodiac, there are still quite a few around, with or without rust, fulfil your dream like my Commando for me. They were quite futuristic cars for the time, I get what you meant by the whole car was a bit space agey. Heapsa room in them with bench front seats. Weren't they the model between the Zephys and Granadas?

clicker: That sounded a summer to remember!! I too stayed at St Raphael a few years ago, that was on my Commando. Stayed at a hostel up the hill from the town, and free wheeled down in the evening to mix with the French cafe society.

Generally I think the older days we had alligencies to a make. Car wise for example i have always prefered Holdens/Vauxhalls over Fords, because the Premier HQ was my dream car. Thiygh when I did go home for a whiel when Icoudl afford the Holdens I brought a Falcon instead, went over to the dark side.... Same as now in England. In the 70s and 80s I brought Vauxhalls, but now run a Focus.. again the dark side.

Have you ever brought a vehicle from brand loyality rather than what woudl have been the best for you at the time?

weltweit: The Vincent would've been fast but wouldn't have thought it was particularly quick. Never had a chance to ride with one, only seen them in car parks. But the sort of engineering I like, solid :) there's Shere hill climb this weekend if you can get out of town. And yeah, the 850 was the same AMC gearbox used in a all AMC bikes, right foot change but using a rod to bring it to the left foot for the US market. And that lowrider you soudl be buildiong would be a bitsa, not a triton..... lol

As it happens I used to live quite close to the Shere event but didn't know of it then. Now I am nearer Prescott which has an event on the 4th also, but no motorbikes unfortunately.

peterkro: we learnt to drive in the same car, the sit up beg Ford Pop! Didn't know England had Valiants, but then I wasn't in England when they would've been around. And with the chevys and spacemaster makes me think you must have some aussie there. My Commando's a Mk V, last of the 750s. Was the 2a the large 850 Interstate? They were better enginnered for surte but in standard trim always thought they were slower than the 750s.
Yes 55 Pop lasted a long time that car both me an my dad rebuilt the engine over time.Beginning of car history was NZ where because of very high duty very old cars where very common prewar and even twenties cars were seen on the roads everyday.Valiants were in OZ where I served a couple of stretches,then on to ireland and UK. As fas as I'm aware the only difference from the other models the Interstate had was a big fuckoff petrol tank very handy on long trips.

Yeah I did a year in Wellington on contract in 1999 and what thrilled me was seeing all the old aussie cars of my childhood still running round every day!

I did an 3 months road trip to France and round the Med on my Commando about ten years ago and I cursed the limited range of that roadster tank. Hence I brought the K75 a few years ago to respend summer on the Med and touring Europe, as I envied them when I was on the freeways on the Commando the time before and those Beemers just seems everywhere and more comfortable

Last edited:
Puddy_tat: Fiesta's I think were good run around cars, better than the Metro or 214's etc round at that time. So what's the curent puddymobile? If you're looking for 200k guess a diesel of some sort?

yes, i suppose what can be said for the fiesta is that it was probably less of a rustbucket than metros of similar vintage

puddymobile is a 1993 Peugeot 205 diesel

puddymobile.jpg

Funnily enough that's a car I have wanted to get, mainly cause I think it's a reasonable roomy interior for a small car and that diesel must do about 100mpg and lasts forever!!! Just when I have changed my cars never been on for sale at a price I can afford.

In the photo of the Zodiacs above, I can see Minors, a Traveller, Triumph Dolimite/1300 type, 2 Citerons, 1 Imp, 1 MGB, white Hillman/Humber/Singer. What else can people see? And the green car to the right, I had thought it was another Zodiac but they didn't have the engine size badge on the wings I didn't think, so what Ford is it? Wings wrong shape for Mk IIIs, too boxy for Granda/Consul.

Sounds incredibly like my first 20 years of 'car ownership' though you obviously have a much better memory than me,
Best buy , Austin Cambridge/ worst? ford zepry/zodiac?? Can never remember....absolutely horrible car,many Minis, and my favourite car of all time and I can't remember the bugger!! An 1100 with all the walnut trims etc and the weird suspension( same as the early minis, that you had to pump up!!

If you want, my first bike was an Enfield with a gear stick on the side of the tank, true but couldn't tell you the model.

Funnily enough that's a car I have wanted to get, mainly cause I think it's a reasonable roomy interior for a small car and that diesel must do about 100mpg and lasts forever!!!

can certainly shift a substantial amount of stuff when the back seat is down

on the occasions i've worked out mpg, it's usually 55 to 60 mpg

i'm starting to wonder whether to move on - it's getting to the stage where it deserves serious work (which i've not really got the time or energy or facilities to do) to sort out the dents and scrapes it's acquired over the years (apart from the stonechips, none of them acquired while i've been driving), could do with something a bit easier for mum-tat to get in and out of, and won't be drive-able in inner london in a few years time without paying a fairly hefty charge.

Morning guys!

coley: That 1100 you had sounds like the Vanden Plas. Mate had one, all walnut, even with pull down trays on the back of the front seat for the back passengers! But, it is still the ole dreaded 1100 of John Cleese fame under all that wood and carpets lol! did you have the round shaped Cambridge or the Farina model? The Farina's I just remembered were usually taxis. the Fords were ok for their time I guess, nice big cars trying to be amercian in style I guess.

Never had a chance to ride a stick shift motorcycle. I think it would be weird changing gear with your hand, but if that's what you did then that is what you did. That bike be worth a few bob now.

Puddy: I've just upgraded to a mk1 focus diesel, and that does me 55mpg, I do little town work and mostly freeway stuff. Also car tax is quite cheap. Much roomier than a 206, not all that much bigger on the outside. I am on 157k miles on it The mk2s and later versions are getting bigger, but maybe not that much better. I got that earlier this year form a P reg Ford Escort 1.6 estate that I owned for 9 years and did 120k miles. Gave me no problems other than usual consumables for MOTs, original clutch and i never did the cam belt. The Focus I put a cam belt on when I got it, caus eI lost 2 cars due to cam belt failures, weill no, 3 actually! First was a Victor 2000 with the slant-4 engine, coasting down a hill then snap! Then a Mondeo on the A3 just accerlerating, ping! Then lastly a Clio luckily just when I started the car out front of myhouse. So I thought this time I will change it, as I got the car with 147k on the cloick with no history. Due now for a new clutch which if it passes the MOT next month I will put in.

Last week I took a wrong turn and ended up driving into a classic car show :hmm: (I was in Gloucestershire ) . I didn't intend going there so I had to drive through this big field full of classic cars , I ended up driving slowly behind a 50s American car (A Plymouth I think) .

As we slowly made our way to the exit , people were admiring the car in front . :( . I slowly drove past a kid with his dad , he was all :cool::cool::cool: at the Plymouth, then he saw my 13 year old fairly battered Golf . The kid looked at my car and turned to his dad

'Dad , that's just a random car '

Everyone laughed :( including me tbf .

Ah classics weltweit!! Over the weekend I'll put some photos of my commando and matchless up, in their current working on conditions. Always preferred the commando over the triumphs, even though I know the bonny is a classic worth heaps. Over rated in my opinion, and very over priced.

marty, nothing wrong with a golf. You just tell them kids about the coffee...... lol!!!

Back
Top Bottom