Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Marilyn Monroe

I like her but for the shallow reason that she was hot and my size so she gives me hope haha. As for the sharing a bed with your sister, nothing weird in that. I do find it odd she has that poster on her head board though. Imagine she was shagging someone and they were staring at that instead of her :D

images

That looks like a picture of babs windsor, after a heavy sesh.
:D

I love this story

Dorothy Dandridge and Eartha Kitt had already performed at the Mocambo, so Fitzgerald wouldn't have been the first African-American to sing there. But the club's owner felt the heavyset Fitzgerald lacked the glamour to draw crowds. So Monroe approached him with a proposition — if he booked Fitzgerald, she promised to sit at the front of the house every night and to bring along other celebrities. Monroe made clear the amount of publicity this would garner, so the club owner agreed to hire Fitzgerald for a couple of weeks in March 1955.

During Fitzgerald's run, Monroe kept her word to sit up front, and Frank Sinatra and Judy Garland showed up on opening night. However, such celebrity firepower wasn't that necessary — Fitzgerald's shows sold out, and the owner even added a week to her contract. This successful engagement changed Fitzgerald's career trajectory. She later told Ms. magazine, "After that, I never had to play a small jazz club again."
Following her success at the Mocambo, Fitzgerald got other jobs at big venues and also returned to the Mocambo. Yet not every location treated her equally due to the color of her skin — some expected Fitzgerald to enter through a side door or back entrance rather than the front.

When Monroe became aware of this, she again supported her friend. According to Fitzgerald biographer Geoffrey Mark, Monroe had traveled to Colorado to see Fitzgerald perform. Once there, she saw her friend ushered away from the front entrance, so Monroe refused to go inside unless both she and Fitzgerald were allowed through the front doors. The movie star got her way and soon all of Fitzgerald's performance spots were treating the singer with the respect she deserved.

There is a new film coming out about Monroe called Blonde, based on the Joyce Carol Oates novel. Looks better than your averagel biopic, with its literary source, Andrew Dominik (The Assassination of Jesse James....) directing and the up-and-coming Ana de Armas (Blade Runner 2049, Knives Out) starring.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom