Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

marathon >> now innit

brendan foster just said that this is the first time since 1896 that britain has not had a top 8 finish in any of the middle or long distance in the male events, that's piss poor tbf

Amazing athletes. To put it in perspective if a top class club athlete (say somebody who had real potential when they were young but stayed amateur) breaks 2:45 it's something to boast about. Nike or adidas had a range of running gear out a while back called 245.

Great display by Wanjiru, and beating Carlos Lopes long-lasting Olympic Best.

Haile Gebrselassie must be feeling a bit of a loon - his pictures of Dorando Petri and long distance runners being taken away in stretchers at the finish line look a bit silly after the two or three long distance records beaten :p

Great display by Wanjiru, and beating Carlos Lopes long-lasting Olympic Best.

Haile Gebrselassie must be feeling a bit of a loon - his pictures of Dorando Petri and long distance runners being taken away in stretchers at the finish line look a bit silly after the two or three long distance records beaten :p

Only looking after his health, although I don't know why he just didn't enter himself and then pull out if he decided the pollution was too bad :confused:

Only looking after his health, although I don't know why he just didn't enter himself and then pull out if he decided the pollution was too bad :confused:

He was partially right: until a couple of weeks before the games, Beijing was far from having the ideal breathing conditions for competition, but the smog eventually cleared out, and they looked very conscious by going through parks and boulevards with loads of greenery. I have to say that this marathon was one of the most better looking I've seen in a long time.
Back to Gebrselassie, IMO he was trying to make a point, and also looking into his personal health, but wouldn't rule out that he was fed very negative air quality information in order to make him forfeit the marathon :hmm:

Well i was watching Reading/Leeds now ive stuck BBc 1 on and there is some old codger banging on about the USA ZZZzzzzzzzzzz.... bullshit they cant even beat the asians at running and shit.

I'm still stunned at the quality of the pace running in the mens marathon. Maximum kudos to Sammy Wanjiru for running an astonishing Olympic record 2hrs 06mins.32secs in near 90 degree heat - Love his sprint when he came back to the stadium! He was over 2 mins inside Portuguese great Carlos Lopez's (who won the race at 37 years old) set back on a very hot LA 84 marathon! :eek:

The young fella in only 21 making him the youngest Olympic Olympic marathon champion. I reckon that there's more to come from him in the next few years. I've never seen a group of runners who mostly sprinted for the first 10km, then kept up that pace for the next 15 km. The group of 5 were inside Hailie Gebraselassie's world record of 2h and 4 mins!! :eek:

A gutsy run from the Morrocan Ghraib and you'd had to feel sorry for the Ethiopian Deriba Merga (ran out of energy after being involved in that blistering early pace) who got passed by his team mate Tsegay Kebede.

Overall it's one of the best marathon races i'vbe ever seen and the women's marathon was a quality race as well. The Romanian lady Constantian Dita-Tomescu ran a very string & gutsy race to win the gold medal :cool:

Silva - quite agree with what you said about Gebreselassie, i realise that he's an asthmatic and maybe that's another possible reason why he didn't want to compete in this rcae. Which is a pity, because i reckon that it would been even quicker if he'd had been in it.

The men's 5000 and the women's 4 x 400 were quality races as well.

Agreed on that JC - I'd never thought that a man would do a 5,000 & 10,000m double. I remember Miruts Yifter (aka Yifter the Shifter) doing that achievement in Moscow and Keneisa Bekele doing it 28 years later in great style. It was amazing sprint speed on the last two laps by Bekele - very good to watch :)

Yep the women's 4x400m relay was a great finish and Sanya Richrads running the anchor leg of her life to overtake the Russian lady to win it! :cool:

Agreed on that JC - I'd never thought that a man would do a 5,000 & 10,000m double. I remember Miruts Yifter (aka Yifter the Shifter) doing that achievement in Moscow and Keneisa Bekele doing it 28 years later in great style. It was amazing sprint speed on the last two laps by Bekele - very good to watch :)

Yep the women's 4x400m relay was a great finish and Sanya Richrads running the anchor leg of her life to overtake the Russian lady to win it! :cool:

It was incredible watching him sprint at the end.

In the 4 x 100, it was the woman who ran the second leg that got it for the americans. The russians would have had it otherwise.

I never thought a women would do a 5,000 and 10,000 double ever. Tirunesh Dibaba made history but her achievement hasn't been given as much coverage as Kenenisa Bakele.

pah come on then you urbanite saturday night in on your own sad cases* anyone else watching the marathon?
yes but I fell asleep

Did they still keep up the fast pass.

lazy mode

Back
Top Bottom