Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Olympics closing ceremony on TV now.

Fake punks dancing to kareoke Queen songs. bollox

showing clips right now - cast from We Will Rock You wheeled out again just like they did 6 years ago at the 02 Golden jubilee concert:rolleyes:
FUCK OFF - who is that twunt doing London Calling :mad:

oh yeah - the last choir standing (doing take that) looked like a gient Halifax advert come to life,
and does McFly adding God Save the queen to the end of The Winner Takes It All mean they know something the rest of us don't about the Queen and Prince Phillip?:hmm:

Heather Smalls - fuck right off *gets up and turns tv off to avoid accidentally hearing her* now where the fuck is my remote?

Did anyone see Boris and Gordons speeches, they were fucking hilarious. Someone shouting 'I love you Gordon' was a highlight. :D

Beijing2008TopPartners-2.jpg

This is not a game!

:(

Woof

One is a moany hater for objecting to the horrifically oppessive regime in China?
You don't want to think about it cos it might affect your enjoyment watching the games in comfort?
:p

Its all over, the forum is yours!

It may be "all over" for you, Melinda.

But it's not for the 600 million people in China living on less than US$ 1:00 per day with food inflation (80% of their budget,) rising at 40%.

Nor those evicted and their homes demolished without compensation for these games.

Nor the hundreds (maybe thousands,) arrested and imprisoned, without trial in the run up for these games.

Nor the dozens arrested and detained, for fuck knows how long, for applying - at the authorities request - to hold a small protest in a designated area 15k from the stadium for these games.

Nor those refused visas to attend.

Nor those whose businesses have been disrupted.

Nor those deported.

:(

Glad it was good for you tho'

You flappy, wet-knickered little himbo!

:rolleyes:

Woof

But it's not for the 600 million people in China living on less than US$ 1:00 per day with food inflation (80% of their budget,) rising at 40%.

Maybe this should go to another thread but haven't I seen you argue on here that the one major success of the Chinese Communist Party over the last 20 years is to actually raise the standard of living for the majority of the mainland population?

Miaow

Watched the whole thing and it was stunning. The Chinese have done a fucking brilliant job IMO. I was enjoying it right up until after the London bus appeared then, being the British bit, it descended into a pile of shite.

Boris was a fucking embarrassment, god knows what the other nations thought.
Nothing will ever live up to China, from day one it's been excellent. Now it's all over and I am a bit sad as I know that we won't be able to deliver anything near that.

Yep, better for another thread (and tbh i misread your post, i thought you said that Jessie had ignored the fact that they'd done this).

Maybe this should go to another thread but haven't I seen you argue on here that the one major success of the Chinese Communist Party over the last 20 years is to actually raise the standard of living for the majority of the mainland population?

Miaow

Absolutely!

Raising 400 million people from abject, starvation-stylee, horrific, grinding poverty into the relative comfort of "a roof over your head, two meals a day and maybe educate your firstborn", inside of a single generation is probably the single greatest acheivement of any country in the history of humankind.

It's astonishing - kinda like a 6:00 second 100 metres medal.

And, as you point out, I've been celebrating and disseminating the magnitude of this achievement for years.

(The three hundred million with a greater personal wealth than those referred to above, I think we don't need to mention in this context - they're not relevant to this issue.)

As of today, there's only another 600 million, still living in grinding poverty on less than US$ 1:00 per day to grapple with.

But I don't see why any of this should be a reason to mitigate any valid criticism of the current government of the 1.3 billion people of China, just because the current government - the Chinese Communist Party - happens to be a military dictatorship that has held power for nearly 60 years.

:)

Woof

Boris nearly dropped the flag. What a fucking clown. :rolleyes::mad:

We'll put on a reasonable show .... as others have already commented, while the sheer scale of this thing is impressive, there is something a little bit unsettling about the number of people involved .... they look like ants scurrying around inside a nest.

All I saw of Johnson was a small snippet on SSN.

I must admit the bit about inventing ping pong on the dining tables of England was quality..."PING PONG'S COMING HOME":D

Watched the whole thing and it was stunning. The Chinese have done a fucking brilliant job IMO.
At what human and financial cost.

What the Chinese Central Committee did makes no sense on any level; how would you begin to justify spending £20 billion to an electorate . . . how do you justify moving thousands of people from their homes, tearing down entire post codes in order to make nice squares, easy access and stadiums that stand in great grounds . . . how do you persuade average Londoners to give up 1-2 years of their social lives in order to make politicians look good at a closing ceremony?

The whole shebang was utterly bonkers, the epitome of the excesses of a centrally controlled society and of the subservience of brain-washed worker drones, and something to be despised, not impressed by.

The Opening and Closing Cermonies were straight out of Orwell - 'One World One Dream' . . . how can all that crap not stand as an object lesson in what not to do?

And in four years the Olympics as brought to you by Boris Johnson. What a fucking joke.

it's a four-year term...maybe the old lizard will be back by then or some new labour cunt

whatever, i'll watch the cycling and forget the rest much like this Olympics

What the Chinese Central Committee did makes no sense on any level; how would you begin to justify spending £20 billion to an electorate . . . how do you justify moving thousands of people from their homes, tearing down entire post codes in order to make nice squares, easy access and stadiums that stand in great grounds . . . how do you persuade average Londoners to give up 1-2 years of their social lives in order to make politicians look good at a closing ceremony?

The whole shebang was utterly bonkers, the epitome of the excesses of a centrally controlled society and of the subservience of brain-washed worker drones, and something to be despised, not impressed by.

The Opening and Closing Cermonies were straight out of Orwell - 'One World One Dream' . . . how can all that crap not stand as an object lesson in what not to do?

I largely agree with this but the 20 billion spent might well be recouped in resulting investment and rehabilitation (rightly or wrongly) of China and specifically Beijing.

However I think you are very wide of the mark to implicate Chinese "politicians" in the same ego-massaging exercise that you might find in democratic countries such as Britain (unless I've misread you're point).

It's fucking brilliant.

'Gunpowder, gelatine
Dynamite with a laserbeam
Guaranteed to blow your mind'

In a world racked with wars, hunger, inequality and pain, to be reminded that humans can create such incredible spectacle in the name of our commonality is very special indeed.:cool:

I'm still not ok with the fact that they substituted the cute girl for the homely girl who could sing well, at the opening.

What the Chinese Central Committee did makes no sense on any level; how would you begin to justify spending £20 billion to an electorate . . .
But that's the thing about Central Committees. They don't have to justify anything to anyone.

Watching these olympics reiterated for me why the olympics is a valuable thing. We are still able to get together and play games and run races, when what we usually do together, is much less fun.

The olympics represent hope. The olympics are a good thing. What the chinese govt did to put on a facade for the world, was not a good thing. But that is their fault, not the fault of the olympic ideal.

I think when we look back in 25 years and China is running the world we'll look back at the 2008 Summer Olympics as a turning point for China on teh world stage :)

Back
Top Bottom