Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Male model strong looks

Fashion?

2a5dc518fb87e9848a9d8312599ad19f--fashion-models-fashion-men.jpg

Or did he just forget to put trousers on? :hmm:

If it's hand-knitted, it might not be that unfair a price, though ludicrously out of most people's budgets

easy now, on the last thread where this was a thing it was deemed £300-400 for a COAT was a piss take

but I guess that happens when the only place you shop is primark and blue buying clothes at sweat shop prices

easy now, on the last thread where this was a thing it was deemed £300-400 for a COAT was a piss take
a friend of mine was kind enough to make me a pair of socks - she'd visit every Sunday to have her tea, then we'd watch a film while she'd knit away. They were the best pair of socks I've ever had and I was incredibly grateful. I asked her how much she'd have to charge to make a profit, charging for the wool she'd used and if she paid herself a minimum wage, and she worked out they'd cost £80 (she designed them as well and didn't factor that into the cost), so fuck knows how much a jumper would have cost.

You know the answer to both of those answers is no. I am pretty sure your oversized clothing is nothing as over the top as those pieces also.
Define over the top. I have worn on public transport in my time: floor to shoulder red sequins, skyscraper platforms, wide net petticoats, face paint, big beehive hair... impractical, extreme looks. Is it more ok because I'm a woman?

Define over the top. I have worn on public transport in my time: floor to shoulder red sequins, skyscraper platforms, wide net petticoats, face paint, big beehive hair... impractical, extreme looks. Is it more ok because I'm a woman?

Hold on, I gave you an example of what I think and posted a pic that was of a woman in an oversized pink puffer. An example of a statement/catwalk piece crossing over into public wear. I also made it clear why those styles and looks are not right for me and why I find them over-the-top and funny. I imagine myself in them and I feel that way. I think we all have a sense of what does and doesn't work for us in terms of style, colour, shape etc. I haven't insisted no-one else can wear them or what they want. Men or women.

Again, I will say if statement pieces are supposed to be fun, I don't see a problem in anyone finding them exaggerated and funny.

Also, you not the only one that likes to dress up however like most I imagine, my choices day to day centre around practicality and personal taste.

Your earlier point about men's clothing/styles/choice being restrictive is a good one. FWIW I also quite like a few styles posted on the thread.

I occupy the aforementioned 'baglady' category and whilst I appreciate the work, training, creativity and skill that must go into these one off catwalk items that are later distilled into more functional (and less costly) versions, I think the romantic idea that high end stuff is all hand done in the ateliers is a little wide of the mark. I have seen parts of Chanel and Lois Vuitton (genuine not knock offs) being produced in Romania in what is basically a sweat shop and I understand a lot of the sweatshops that manufacture the dreaded fast fashion Primark also produce stuff for the expensive brands. Given most of the zillion quid jumpers made for giants out of feathers and lard are likely to adorn the sort of vacuous children of oligarchs that roam the planet I think one should reserve the right to laugh at it if it amuses (its meant to be fun isn't it?). I always think the best side of fashion is when people with no cash make something amazing out of nothing but a bit of creativity and research and wear it with out the 'BlueSteel'. The worst side is when some celebs kid 'produces a collection' and everyone is emperors new clothes about it.

Men may seem dowdy, relatively, now but I have 'stepped out' in v-knee loons with different colours for each panel
elepha10.jpg

A 'south sea bubble' jacket, mine was sky blue with dark blue trim
mens-vintage-1970s-slim-south-sea_360_4157556eed5a177e28a56357cabf4d17.jpg

Under that was a t-shirt with Dennis The Menace applique . And stacked heel and sole side zipping blue Chelsea boots, a bit like these
il_340x270.1149024078_hyqv.jpg
but higher.

That was a strong look. The high-fashion versions were laughably OTT, whereas what filtered into the boutiques of Brighton was toned-down. A bit.

I feel I can half laugh and half admire when I see something like
12217Sunday6B0843IG.jpg

Been there and done it

that puffer might be real though :oops: i saw a picture (on urban) of a couple of US popstars in similiar oversized puffers. :facepalm: cant remember who now

raf simons designed it. From his aw16 collection. Which if you look at the complete collection definitely has a 'first day at boarding school' look about it.

Anyway the two storng male looks im taken with at the moment are 'post-hipster action man on a boat' courtesy of realm and empire:

realm_empire_waxjkt2.jpg

7P9A2672-683x1024.jpg

realme10.jpg

Realm-Empire-AW16-2.jpg

and engineered garments "has me in mind of slightly futuristic French resistance fighters. Like if Kyle Reese came back from the future to ensure the survival of his future leader/own son, but instead of the future being all mad laser guns and rats on toast, and robots kicking people in the jaw, it was in fact a society where Steam Punk is a mainstream high street trend and Serge Gainsbourg is a deity."

Which is a perfect description really

05-engeneerd-garments.jpg

09-engeneerd-garments.jpg

11-engeneerd-garments.jpg

19-engeneerd-garments.jpg

08-engeneerd-garments.jpg

Full collection here: Engineered Garments Fall 2016 Menswear Fashion Show

Do you laugh at people in public based on their choice of outfit, then?

I've got an oversized jumper. Would you find it funny if I got on the tube wearing it?

How oversized is it? Would you be able to get the sleeves in before the doors closed on them?

Back in the day i been out with REALLY good looking lads, actual model types.
Im kind of okay looking but have a good personality and body....and things happened....I dont think a good looking man notices much difference between a model type or a funny charming person, i have been in these situations and my goofy self hasnt felt threatened.....i have always been a champion of the James Brown philosophy: 'a woman got to use what she got to get just what she wants...'

Hmmm....now it was fun, but im still chasing Tuki Brando....

Back in the day i been out with REALLY good looking lads, actual model types.
Im kind of okay looking but have a good personality and body....and things happened....I dont think a good looking man notices much difference between a model type or a funny charming person, i have been in these situations and my goofy self hasnt felt threatened.....i have always been a champion of the James Brown philosophy: 'a woman got to use what she got to get just what she wants...'

Hmmm....now it was fun, but im still chasing Tuki Brando....

Well, that certainly clears things up. :)

Back
Top Bottom