Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Malaysia Airlines Boeing 777 vanishes without trace

This pilot has what looks like one of the most plausible explanations I've seen: A tire fire with incapacitating smoke, followed by an attempt to get to Langkawi before it was too late.

http://www.wired.com/autopia/2014/03/mh370-electrical-fire/

All planes that have ever caught fire and continued flying have crashed in under twenty minutes or so, as I recall. There's a rule of thumb - in the case of a fire you have 15 minutes to get on the ground. There'd be a big debris field not far from the Malaysian coast and SBIRS and possibly CTBTO infrasound would have noticed it. The final plunge would have been within range of the primary radar.

Besides, they would have picked WMKC or WMKN instead; they'd have had to overfly WMKC to get to WMKL and WMKN is much nearer anyway. Also doesn't explain the lack of mayday/comms traffic, or observed data (the tyres are instrumented to warn of fire). Recall that BAW38 got a mayday out in the 30 seconds they had, AWE1549 had 4 minutes and managed it; both crews clearly had plenty else to do as well.

So that's that then...
Bi7PDvSIcAANWeC.jpg

But the extra weight of the fuel would mean that more fuel would be used to fly the heavier plane, thus negating the savings?

Pilots - or, since this is the internets, people who claim to be pilots - say it is done, and they call it "tankering".

That's why I said that anyone who doesn't believe it is done has to do the sums to show how much cheaper the fuel has to be to make it economic.

It's also been suggested that Malaysia Airlines may possibly be having trouble getting lines of credit, which would add an additional incentive for tankering.

Whilst i'm not generally prone to conspiracy theories, on the day of 9/11 i was working for this magazine company, and there was this email group thing we were on that was for journalists and the like. Reports came through (not officially of course) that the United 93 plane was shot down by the USAF just as it happened, but then was never repeated.
I always wondered if this was misinformation or a big cover-up.

*mumble mumble* 3 minute time discrepancy *mumble mumble* independent seismological data *mumble mumble* official FDR timeline...

That's why I said that anyone who doesn't believe it is done has to do the sums to show how much cheaper the fuel has to be to make it economic.

It's also been suggested that Malaysia Airlines may possibly be having trouble getting lines of credit, which would add an additional incentive for tankering.

They might have done that but the precise fuel load will have been in the dispatch record and the investigators will have that. They won't be directing SAR to locations that don't allow for the known fuel load, estimated flight profile and factoring in any glide and ocean currents.

There's a very analysis theory here:
In my view suicide looks unlikely – he would have had to been very lucky to kill the other pilot, then fly undetected to a remote spot in the sea and either crash or run out of fuel – it doesn’t add up. Why wouldn’t he have just flown into the Petronas Towers in Kuala Lumpur?

At this stage I have an open mind as to what’s happened – I sadly however don’t think it’s an accident. Which leads me to think it must have crash-landed over water – if it’s landed on a remote strip even camouflaging it would be hard. If it has crashed into the sea wreckage will be found - perhaps not in the next week, but eventually it will be found.
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/could-mah7...rt-offers-his-theories-135928312.html#ac0NLRf

This, from the BBC, puts all the theories about pilots fighting with terrorists, each other, decompression or any other emergency situation to bed:

If the course was changed during a major emergency, one might expect it to be done using manual control. But the left turn was the result of someone in the cockpit typing "seven or eight keystrokes into a computer on a knee-high pedestal between the captain and the first officer, according to officials", the New York Times reported. The paper says this "has reinforced the belief of investigators - first voiced by Malaysian officials - that the plane was deliberately diverted and that foul play was involved."

It...was...nicked! The question we should be asking is why it disappeared, not how. Even if it does turn up in bits there's no-way it was a simple mechanical failure. Someone, or something, maybe just information that someone had, on that plane was worth taking it off the grid.

This, from the BBC, puts all the theories about pilots fighting with terrorists, each other, decompression or any other emergency situation to bed:

If the course was changed during a major emergency, one might expect it to be done using manual control. But the left turn was the result of someone in the cockpit typing "seven or eight keystrokes into a computer on a knee-high pedestal between the captain and the first officer, according to officials", the New York Times reported. The paper says this "has reinforced the belief of investigators - first voiced by Malaysian officials - that the plane was deliberately diverted and that foul play was involved."

It...was...nicked! The question we should be asking is why it disappeared, not how. Even if it does turn up in bits there's no-way it was a simple mechanical failure. Someone, or something, maybe just information that someone had, on that plane was worth taking it off the grid.
No, let's concentrate on the how. Since any evidence it was nicked is circumstantial at best, there's not much point going off on a wild conspiratastic speculative frenzy. Unless, of course, you want to, in which case...fill yer boots :)

In case you were still scratching your head over the Inmarsat diagram with two arcs (this is of course for illustrative purposes and not indicative of the suspected/actual flight path flown nor the associated intermediate arcs, which haven't been published):

Back
Top Bottom