Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Maidstone United v Dulwich Hamlet, Tuesday 15th March

There really is no fucking excuse for the complete lack of communication. None at all. I understand there may be some topics that can't be discussed for various reasons, but this near wall of silence is a big 'fuck you' to fans. And I wouldn't blame fans giving a big 'fuck you' back to the club in response.

Always overachieved at Tonbridge with limited resources, always done a job on us, writes a column in the programme and happy memories of him when he played for us. Also I think it would be good for Gav's career to have a change at the end of the season.
Although McKimm on Twitter might rapidly change your mind.

Pretty dire on Tuesday as have been most of the recent games, Welling away an exception. But some perspective surely necessary

We’re floating around mid table, relatively new to this league with a still uncertain future and record attendances filling the coffers.

Gav’s been an instrumental part of that journey, yes come could be dramatically improved as well as performance on pitch, but I don’t think it’s the right time for him to move on.

It’s not a terrible position to be in, although I would like to see us play well and challenge the better teams.

I thought my trip Maidstone was educational (not been before) impressive team, great stadium full of loud and motivated supporters heading towards a well deserved playoff promotion.

Within our own unique approach it’s probably something to aspire to?

What do I know anyway, there’s always Saturday.

Maidstone's stadium was definitely something to aspire to. Safe, great views, lots of standing, good food served fast, a lovely surface that engendered football, and the locals I spoke to were friendly.

I'd second all of that. I certainly took a very infantile delight in their support behind the goal booing some of our lot as we made our way round first half. All very good natured, their songs and cohesion were something we could perhaps take note of.

Does your planned ground have a big terrace? It certainly helps the atmosphere and sight lines, even if we do give a third of it away for big games. Full credit to your old chap who was singing throughout the first half and made a few friends.

The stadium come at a price; I’m willing to pay £3 extra per game for a ground within walking distance of home, but profitable nine years running with everything going back into facilities.

As for your self criticism over the performance, most of us would have been happy with challenging for play offs at the start of the season. You’ve made progress year on year, it’s a tough old league, and there’s no shame losing to the second placed club away.

I acknowledge that Gav's done an awful lot of good for this club over the years and is an integral part of the club. However, we've see a massive drop-off in form this season with a bunch of players that, in my opinion, are easily good enough to get us promoted. The quality of the fare on the pitch has dropped dramatically since Christmas and communication off it has been awful. Gav really needs to leave at the end of the season, both for our sake and his.

I acknowledge that Gav's done an awful lot of good for this club over the years and is an integral part of the club. However, we've see a massive drop-off in form this season with a bunch of players that, in my opinion, are easily good enough to get us promoted. The quality of the fare on the pitch has dropped dramatically since Christmas and communication off it has been awful. Gav really needs to leave at the end of the season, both for our sake and his.
Typical of our performances in NLS

Just looked it up 2019/20 we were 16th. Played more games then others. So come on big improvement fighting to get in play offs still. So please don’t tell me gav not doing well lots of injuries to key players this season Get behind the man. Support the club and at the moment gav still in charge let’s get behind them Saturday another big crowd

Anyone know why JK was absolutely furious with some Maidstone fans behind the goal at the end of the 90 mins. I didn't see or hear what happened.

I'd second all of that. I certainly took a very infantile delight in their support behind the goal booing some of our lot as we made our way round first half. All very good natured, their songs and cohesion were something we could perhaps take note of.
Doesn't seem that long ago that many non league clubs used to look enviously at the passion and uniqueness of our support...

Doesn't seem that long ago that many non league clubs used to look enviously at the passion and uniqueness of our support...

I have my own opinions on our support and how the match day experience has changed. Some of them changes are great, some not so much. Along the way we've lost something indefinable. That spark that makes us the club we used to be.

At a couple of points Tuesday I had to walk away from some of our lot because it was winding me up. There's a huge degree of sneering at fans from other clubs for example, that was prevalent Tuesday night. Personally, the next game I know for sure I'll be at is Gravesend and Northfleet (fuck right off will I call them Ebbsfleet!) but if its same old, same old then I have even more reason to pick and choose games since at the best of times they're exhausting for me.

What happens on the pitch isn't the point really. I can handle us being shite, annoying though it is at the time. I think a change of manager end of season sorts that. By far more importance is the whole match day experience, home and away. I don't feel as included as i once was. I know that in part that's down to unresolved grief over friends who've passed on to that great Champion Hill in the sky hut it's also that the club just doesn't feel like it's the same. When you support a team, it's like it's part of your soul almost. Now that's been dimmed for me to the point I'm.travelling to games and feeling like I could be at any random club.

What happens on the pitch isn't the point really. I can handle us being shite, annoying though it is at the time. I think a change of manager end of season sorts that. By far more importance is the whole match day experience, home and away. I don't feel as included as i once was. I know that in part that's down to unresolved grief over friends who've passed on to that great Champion Hill in the sky hut it's also that the club just doesn't feel like it's the same. When you support a team, it's like it's part of your soul almost. Now that's been dimmed for me to the point I'm.travelling to games and feeling like I could be at any random club.
That pretty much sums up my experience. Some of the best experiences have been when we've drawn or lost with the fans providing all the entertainment you could ask for!

Kingstonian FC 1 Dulwich Hamlet 1, Kingsmeadow Stadium, Kingston upon Thames, Monday 11th August 2004

With the Hamlet fans disinclined to stop their singing long after the final whistle had blown, the stewards tried a variety of tactics to get them out of the ground:

1. Turn the floodlights off
  2. Turn on the watering system
  3. Ask jack our chairman to reason with us and ask us to decamp to the club bar
Plan 3 proved successful.

1647617280802.png

“How come your fans are still singing and sounding so happy?” asked the bemused steward, 20 minutes after Hamlet had fallen to a fairly dismal 0-2 defeat and the rest of the ground had emptied out .

And then there was this:

That pretty much sums up my experience. Some of the best experiences have been when we've drawn or lost with the fans providing all the entertainment you could ask for!

Kingstonian FC 1 Dulwich Hamlet 1, Kingsmeadow Stadium, Kingston upon Thames, Monday 11th August 2004

View attachment 314865

And then there was this:

Ah yes, the cup final where a steward punched me. Good times! :D

One of my first few away games included the trip to Bognor 7 years ago. If memory serves we were smashed 4-0 but the result was made almost irrelevant by the good times had behind the goal. Bouncing and singing for ninety minutes and then doing the conga around the pitch. Great Times.

Back
Top Bottom