Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Bognor v Dulwich 23 March

I thought Ojemen looked very solid defensively on his debut. No surprise given he is a CB/LB rather than a WB. From chatting to the Bognor fans their RW - Lucas Pattenden - is one of the quickest players in the league and Ojemen didn’t give him opportunities to engage in foot races and the times they did get in behind down our left it was usually due to combination play between him and the RB (Seung).
Deacon looked far better at RB than he did at LB.
Both pens looked fair to me from the stand, Jeffrey was pushed and Wanadio, even if the foul started outside the box, as their defender protested, continued inside the box.
I was impressed with their CF (Gifford) in a game of few chances he constantly wanted the ball and his link up play dropping short was effective.
Lakin made a great safe form Higgs, but it was a chance of Dulwich’s own making with Deacon, who had time to take a touch, hurriedly slicing a clearance near the halfway line which bounced backwards and ended in that shot.

Pics from Max!

In photos: Dulwich Hamlet bag three points against Bognor Regis Town, Sat 23rd March 2024

In photos: Dulwich Hamlet bag three points against Bognor Regis Town, Sat 23rd March 2024

Highlights:

Not much doubt about the first penalty. A poor first touch from AJ probably fooled the defender, but it was still a rather careless challenge. Second penalty incident looks a very tight line call, probably just outside if we had all the VAR technology, but an absurdly reckless tackle on a forward who would otherwise have had a clear shot at goal from inside the box. It's not as if he just got too tight on someone who was shielding the ball, so I don't really feel he deserves the benefit of any doubt.

Highlights:

Not much doubt about the first penalty. A poor first touch from AJ probably fooled the defender, but it was still a rather careless challenge. Second penalty incident looks a very tight line call, probably just outside if we had all the VAR technology, but an absurdly reckless tackle on a forward who would otherwise have had a clear shot at goal from inside the box. It's not as if he just got too tight on someone who was shielding the ball, so I don't really feel he deserves the benefit of any doubt.

May have missed a rule change, but pretty sure that a foul that begins outside but continues into the box means a penalty. Their protestations centred on the existence of a divot just outside the box, as if that had anything to with anything.

May have missed a rule change, but pretty sure that a foul that begins outside but continues into the box means a penalty. Their protestations centred on the existence of a divot just outside the box, as if that had anything to with anything.
They change the rules so frequently these days I find it hard to know what should happen anymore. Their manager didn't complain about it in his post match interview, he was more disappointed with his own team's mistakes and shortcomings against our more experienced team. It just makes me laugh when a player gets a challenge hopelessly wrong, then complains the referee made a mistake over a marginal line call.

Pro tip - when attempting this, it's best not to sit wearing Hamlet colour, next to 3 hamlet fans all with tickets the right way round, looks a tad obvious...
It's a pretty big saving on this route as a percentage of the price. Nearly a tenner with a railcard discount and about £14 without one. Scandalous really. Did the ticket inspector have anything to say about it?

Pink Panther luckily we came into a station just as the inspector approached and he went off to do the doors and didn't return. Phew, awkward conversation avoided. Was fine on the way back.
You would have been using the "return" portion of your ticket then, in which case you'd theoretically already travelled to London and were on your way back, so he couldn't have pulled you up even if he guessed what you'd done. Technically the "outward" portion is not valid unless accompanied by the return portion, so always hold onto it if you can. I always just show the relevant portion of my ticket and have never been asked to show the other half.

They change the rules so frequently these days I find it hard to know what should happen anymore. Their manager didn't complain about it in his post match interview, he was more disappointed with his own team's mistakes and shortcomings against our more experienced team. It just makes me laugh when a player gets a challenge hopelessly wrong, then complains the referee made a mistake over a marginal line call.
They may have actually benefited from the disingenuous outrage they threw at the lino for the second penalty. I suspect it may have influenced his decision for the disallowed Chambers goal. Who knows though. The older I get the less tolerant I become of the horseshit thrown at bang average officials by bang average players. You should see it in the SCFL, extremely limited (to be kind) players and coaches dishing it out all game long. Was at a game recently where a superannuated lino just laughed at some spotty little kid diving pathetically and entirely transparently right in front of him. Spotty kid was apoplectic...lino kept laughing. Made my day.

Back
Top Bottom