Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Lost Harper Lee novel - To Set A Watchman - to be published in July

Finished it..

I read TKAMB as a kid. Enjoyed it but didnt become a fan or devotee or owt. Hence I'm not too disappointed with the portrayal of Atticus (& others) that real diehards are going to upset with.

Yes - it felt like a rough draft at times. And yes, certain bits were a bit clunky - i.e the flashbacks. But I was sufficiently entertained to read it in one sitting and it has provoked me to (try to) remember bits from my first degree (the US history and politics bits obvs)

Just finished it and I'm deeply disappointed. I won't spoil it but I'd certainly be interested in seeing what other people think.
It wasn't great, was it? More interesting than good, there are some great passages, and an interesting story trying to get out, but it doesn't really manage it. The preachy passages are way too preachy - show don't tell, Harper, show don't tell - and it doesn't really gel together as a whole. I'm not bothered about Atticus being an elderly bigot, altho his character needed far more development really, the only reason we really cared about him was because of his behaviour in a book which hadn't even been written, so his being terribly bigoted was a bit 'meh.' And the denouement needed a lot of work, I can see what she was trying to do, and why, but it didn't really come off.

To be read for historical/literary criticism reasons, not because it's a great book.

I'm not sure what people expected tbh, it's been clear from the start that this was a first draft rejected by the publisher. Years of serious rewriting and editorial input produced Mockingbird.

Oh yes, almost forgot - you have to say 'bloody good job' to Tay Hohoff for spotting four short paragraphs half way through the book and going ' there's your novel, go away and write that.'

Never diss an editor

Very interesting review of Go Set A Watchman by Ursula K. Le Guin. A personal take on Go Set A Watchman
(It's also on her blog but there doesn't seem to be an easy way to link directly to it).

This is the end of the review but I found the whole thing very thought provoking. I started but didn't finish Watchman - I'll be giving it another go.

I like to think of the book it might have been, had the editor had the vision to see what this incredibly daring first-novelist was trying to do and encouraged and aided her to do it more convincingly. But no doubt the editor was, commercially speaking, altogether right. That book would have found some admirers, but never would it have become a best-seller and a “classic.” It wouldn’t have pandered to self-reassuring images of White generosity risking all to save a grateful Black man.

Before Watchman was published, I was skeptical and unhappy — all the publicity made it sound like nothing but a clever lawyer and a greedy publisher in cahoots to exploit an old woman. Now, having read the book, I glimpse a different tragedy. Lee was a young writer on a roll, with several novels in mind to write after this one. She wrote none of them. Silence, lifelong. I wonder if the reason she never wrote again was because she knew her terrifyingly successful novel was untrue. In taking the easy way, in letting wishful thinking corrupt honest perception, she lost the self-credibility she, an honest woman, needed in order to write.

So I’m glad, now, that Watchman was published. It hasn’t done any harm to the old woman, and I hope it’s given her pleasure. And it redeems the young woman who wrote this book, who wanted to tell some truths about the Southern society that lies to itself so much. She went up North to tell the story, probably thinking she’d be free to tell it there. But she was coaxed or tempted into telling the simplistic, exculpatory lies about it that the North cherishes so much. The white North, that is. And a good part of the white South too, I guess.

Little white lies . . . North or South, they’re White lies. But not little ones.

Harper Lee was a good writer. She wrote a lovable, greatly beloved book. But this earlier one, for all its faults and omissions, asks some of the hard questions To Kill a Mockingbird evades.

I thought that this was interesting

Harper Lee and the Cold War Canon

Since the publication in early July of Go Set a Watchman (you can read the first chapter here), many of Harper Lee’s reviewers (negative and positive alike) have focused on the character Atticus Finch. As the small-town-lawyer hero of Lee’s first book, To Kill a Mockingbird (1960), which takes place in mid-1930s Alabama, Atticus possesses an unflappable, dignified bearing that allows him to provide a worthy if ultimately fruitless defense for an African American man accused of raping a white woman. In Go Set a Watchman, set in the 1950s, Atticus’s daughter is shocked to discover his politics: he’s on the board of directors of the White Citizens Council and owns a pamphlet on scientific racism, The Black Plague. The dismay of many fans of To Kill a Mockingbird was palpable. How could Harper Lee dismantle the legacy of Atticus Finch?

As beloved as it may be, To Kill a Mockingbird itself has never been free of controversy. There is no doubt a kind of mystique emanating from its evergreen status as a book that some local school boards seek to ban. According to the American Library Association, this has often been due to the book’s frank presentation of rape and incest, as well as its use of profanity. But the forces behind censorship haven’t always been conservative; some teachers and parents have objected to the book’s portrayal of the South’s black citizens as kind-hearted, simple, and passive, not to mention Lee’s historically accurate but seemingly casual use of derogatory language. Literary critics have said as much, too. To Kill a Mockingbird is about white people, it uplifts white people, it makes middle-class white people feel better about racism by projecting it onto “common” white southerners.

But these arguments suggest a superior way of analyzing To Kill a Mockingbird—as a primary source, not a “timeless” depiction of the South, coming of age, or the virtues of tolerance. As much as it is an allegory of the Civil Rights Movement of the 1950s, it is also “about” the Cold War. In a 2012 essay in Southern Cultures, Stephen J. Whitfield analyzes the book in the context of postwar reckoning with the Holocaust: “The popularity of To Kill a Mockingbird suggests that, by the early 1960s, the realization was dawning that if the ideology of the Third Reich was wrong, then racial discrimination—especially in the South—was wrong as well.” Whitfield homes in on a little-noticed chapter in which Scout’s teacher presents a current events lesson about the Nazis (who would have been promulgating the Nuremburg Laws at about the time the events of the book take place). “‘We are a democracy and Germany is a dictatorship,’” Miss Gates tells the class. “‘Over here we don’t believe in persecuting anybody. Persecution comes from people who are prejudiced. Prejudice,’ she enunciated carefully. ‘There are no better people in the world than the Jews, and why Hitler doesn’t think so is a mystery to me.’” The chapter is awkward indeed, but it is there for a reason: to point toward the book’s larger lesson.

Should be appearing in the charity shops soon judging by the number of unimpressed buyers.

Good to read more from Harper Lee, but very debatable whether this should have been published. As mentioned it really lacks the polish which editing and rewrites would have given it.

Its very clear (with hindsight at least) that the race issue is a far better and more important story than Scout breaking free from Atticus' way of thinking. It still would have made a good book, but not a classic.

Shit ending. Can't imagine this being taught in class 70 years on as a timeless lesson in humane tolerance when the main protagonist, an educated 26 year old woman, is back handed across the face by her Uncle to snap her out of her 'silly' way of thinking and make her grow up. It would have been consigned to the dustbin long ago.

Back
Top Bottom