Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Long Covid

Long covid is hardly understood yet and its unhelpful for him to wade in with "it's all in your mind, folks" just bc he feels better
IN the Atlantic article posted a little while back there is some clinical research there about "reprogramming"

"After a week, everyone in the pilot program reported improvement in symptoms like shortness of breath and fatigue. (No double-blind randomized controlled trial has yet been conducted, so it is not possible to know what percentage of the improvement was due to the placebo effect.) The patients’ responses were “game-changing,” Putrino told me.
The key was the realization that the diaphragm and the nervous system had to be coached back to normal function before further reconditioning could start. “You cannot rehabilitate someone when their symptoms are completely out of control,” Putrino said. Although patients still faced an unfolding array of unpredictable symptoms, breathwork helped get them to a “place where the healing can start.”

I am giving the low histamine diet a go, not super strict but doing my best. Took a while to get my head round it tho!

Also taking high dose vic C, vit D, zinc and quercetin... oh and 2 brazil nuts a day for selenium. But yeah I think feeling psychologically supported and resting enough and taking it easy has been the main thing that has helped me. Oh also im on SSRIs (sertraline 50mg) and tbh maybe they have helped a fair bit too.

I dont do breathing exercises per say but as ive got stronger all of that has improved massively and feels a bit more natural.

Ive had all of those. Gotta catch em all. What fun! Also I didnt rest enough in the first 2 weeks of the acute illness....

Still doing lots better than a few months ago though, able to bimble around the garden a bit and sit in the sun. Ive not left the house properly for 6 months though, im kinda embarrased/sad to say.

Regarding the stir Paul Gardner caused with that article - I think its understandable people are confused/hurt but fair bit of it isnt that controversial. I also think the guy has clearly been affected a lot psychologically by his experience, as have we all... maybe more than he realises though!

Last edited:
Ive had all of those. Gotta catch em all. What fun!
oh riklet, thats harsh.
ive had about 75%.
its bizarre the way it cycles through different symptoms at different times- this week for the first time ive had burning sharp abdominal pains. Its almost funny when a new symptom comes up - its like an overthetop eyerolling plot twist in a film. now what ffs!

have been prescribed a short course of steroids - GP reckons its been getting great results with other patients he has. wont start taking till next week though for personal reasons. feels hopeful, will report back
also doctor said take more antihistamines.

Let us know if has an effect. The possibility of using a steroid nasal spray was mentioned to me - quite a while ago now - and I've been wondering if I should follow it up.

ONS report on long covid

Couple of clips from that.

Over 1.1 million sufferers.

35-69 years old most affected at 5 weeks.

25-34 years old most affected at 12 weeks.

have been prescribed a short course of steroids - GP reckons its been getting great results with other patients he has. wont start taking till next week though for personal reasons. feels hopeful, will report back
also doctor said take more antihistamines.
Which steroids if I can ask? I get prednisolone if my asthma symptoms get bad.

I’ve just requested an appointment with my GP as the last few pages have freaked me out. Sick of symptoms being ignored or explained away as anxiety.
I’ve always mentioned it before when calling about other stuff so it gets lost I think.

Buggers about with your immune system so watch out for people with shingles and things :) Made no difference to me since I'm avoiding people anyway.

Eta: the leaflet's worth reading for side effects too

GP thinks my cough is allergies but is sending me for a chest X-ray anyway. I’m not convinced, ill with likely Covid and then a cough ever since. Going to start a daily antihistamine. If that works, I’ll be happy.

GP thinks my cough is allergies but is sending me for a chest X-ray anyway. I’m not convinced, ill with likely Covid and then a cough ever since. Going to start a daily antihistamine. If that works, I’ll be happy.
When the chest x-ray comes back not showing anything you could point out to your doctor that lots of people with long covid have chest issues that don't show up on x-rays but do show in other tests. My doctor in-law said they've had a lot of success with steroid inhalers.

Worth trying the anti-histmaine anyway as lots of people have had success with it.

Do push to be referred to a long covid clinic even if x-ray comes back negative.

When the chest x-ray comes back not showing anything you could point out to your doctor that lots of people with long covid have chest issues that don't show up on x-rays but do show in other tests. My doctor in-law said they've had a lot of success with steroid inhalers.

Worth trying the anti-histmaine anyway as lots of people have had success with it.

Do push to be referred to a long covid clinic even if x-ray comes back negative.
Thanks, will do. I think the sticking point is no positive test and negative antibody test. But we already knew the antibody test would likely be negative as I was ill in March and tested in November.

Some interesting points in this, particularly about "pacing" exercise activities - i can really relate to this

i swear the best thing that works for me so far is doing this 7 minute video...if i do it i feel somewhat better for most of the day, if i dont i feel it
theres a level of gentle breathing-centred exercising that really works for me

Last edited:
Day 3 of steroids - the big change is my breathing - its basically stopped wheeziness. This is good.
Im going to try and go for a walk today and see how that feels, but its definitely done the trick on that so far.
What post-course impact it has I'll have to wait and see.
Not sleeping well with them though, only managing about 5 hours, very mildly buzzing yesterday, lockjaw today so far :D Not feeling as strong as I was expecting them to make me feel - infact a bit wobbly, but thats partially the lack of sleep

Some interesting points in this, particularly about "pacing" exercise activities - i can really relate to this

i swear the best thing that works for me so far is doing this 7 minute video...if i do it i feel somewhat better for most of the day, if i dont i feel it
theres a level of gentle breathing-centred exercising that really works for me

Thanks for sharing that
Going to give it a go

Thanks, will do. I think the sticking point is no positive test and negative antibody test. But we already knew the antibody test would likely be negative as I was ill in March and tested in November.
I got referred despite same scenario of no positive test results (similar time scale )
Nice guidelines say go on symptoms even if no +ve test
My long covid clinic experience is not super fast but the referral helped me get more flexible working

Back
Top Bottom