Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Long Covid

Doctors just called back with my latest blood test results. All normal. They're chasing my x ray (which I think is for my hands). They also recommended I get some more counselling and suggested maybe trying a low dose of anti-depressants for the pain/mood issues. I'm not keen on that, so don't think I will.

.. suggested maybe trying a low dose of anti-depressants for the pain/mood issues. I'm not keen on that, so don't think I will.
That reads to me like a really pathetic and out of ideas response from the doctors. Sorry to hear it Oula. I think this is beyond the skills of GPs .
How about the counseling though? Might be worth a go?

I've had a few really positive days: am really working (again) on strengthening stomach, chest and particularly diaphragm muscles and it's had a noticeable effect on my breathing. I really recommend it for anyone struggling with breathing issues.

Not sure if I said this already but I think the reason walking feels so good for me is the way it regulates my breathing.

Am also drinking lots of fizzy water which I feel helps sort out carbon dioxide levels in me (another issue arising from irregular breathing)

That reads to me like a really pathetic and out of ideas response from the doctors. Sorry to hear it Oula. I think this is beyond the skills of GPs .
How about the counseling though? Might be worth a go?
One of the anti-depressants suggested is one that is also prescribed for nerve pain, but I've got history with it that means I don't want to take it.

I've just filled in the forms for the counselling. I have just had a round of counselling from somewhere else that was really helpful but ended up focussing on other related issues rather than the long Covid specifically. I'd be happy to have more looking at the long Covid. I'm also about to have some coaching looking at making changes to my priorities and work taking the long Covid into account.

Doctors just called back with my latest blood test results. All normal. They're chasing my x ray (which I think is for my hands). They also recommended I get some more counselling and suggested maybe trying a low dose of anti-depressants for the pain/mood issues. I'm not keen on that, so don't think I will.
Have you tried 5-HTP? Some people find it useful as a temporary low-dose anti-depressant - 50-100mg a day. It's available online (just avoid with valerian) though I'd recommend getting a reputable brand. Some of the no-name amazon sellers there's no way of judging quality and I've bought stuff that I thought wasn't worth it. Doctors won't recommend it as no-one ever paid for enough medical trials, but there is some evidence for it.

Well its Dingwall, one of the biggest cunts from the 'expert wing' of this pandemic. He is a shit sociologist with a shit agenda. He has disgraced himself thoroughly. The media are a disgrace for making continued use of him, another demonstration of the deep flaws in their system of 'balance'.

A decent media who gave a shit would look at the pandemic track record of the people they invite on. Dingwall failed all those tests before the first wave even exploded, since he has always been from the school of 'lets not bother doing anything, let it rip'. No real credibility left once the first wave demonstrated what the reality of this pandemic actually was.

Was reading someone's account of their previously healthy 19 yo daughter who is now housebound on oxygen because of the scarring on her lungs from getting Covid.
Grim :/
I think there's multiple levels of long covid... Hospitalisation + scarring is at the top of the scale....my actual I'll with Covid experience was pretty mild...it just never ended though is what it feels like

I think there's multiple levels of long covid... Hospitalisation + scarring is at the top of the scale....my actual I'll with Covid experience was pretty mild...it just never ended though is what it feels like
Yes that is an extreme case, was just talking to some friend and one of their friend still has a messed up sense of smell/taste, everything is rotten cabbage flavoured (march 2020 infection) at one point she kept smelling herself as rotten flesh and kept scrubbing herself

Thread about LC disinformation merchants, "Unherd". I noticed their crankery early on when it was clear they would rather listen to whackos like Hitchens and his cultural hero, Lord Sumption, than actual working scientists.

Have you tried 5-HTP? Some people find it useful as a temporary low-dose anti-depressant - 50-100mg a day. It's available online (just avoid with valerian) though I'd recommend getting a reputable brand. Some of the no-name amazon sellers there's no way of judging quality and I've bought stuff that I thought wasn't worth it. Doctors won't recommend it as no-one ever paid for enough medical trials, but there is some evidence for it.
Thanks, I'll look into. I'm not convinced I need anti-depressants though, I just need to stop being in pain.

Thanks, I'll look into. I'm not convinced I need anti-depressants though, I just need to stop being in pain.
Fair enough, though I looked it up out of interest and it seems SSRIs can reduce chronic pain Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors and Their Role in Chronic Pain Management

I have been taking 5htp since February this year
Combined with a 9 week course in mindfulness

This has helped my breathing and my mood a lot

Fortunately one main aspect of pain got sorted in April and that's really helped

Sorry to hear you're still on pain Oula
It's very taxing

Fair enough, though I looked it up out of interest and it seems SSRIs can reduce chronic pain Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors and Their Role in Chronic Pain Management
That's interesting, thanks. I didn't realise SSRIs could do that. They suggested SSRIs or amitriptyline, which I know can treat pain as my brother in law has it for a bad back. However, I've had it as an anti-depressant before and don't really want to go back there. Although it would be lower dose so some of my concerns about it from last time shouldn't be an issue if I had a lower dose now.
I have been taking 5htp since February this year
Combined with a 9 week course in mindfulness

This has helped my breathing and my mood a lot

Fortunately one main aspect of pain got sorted in April and that's really helped

Sorry to hear you're still on pain Oula
It's very taxing
Glad to hear it's helped you. Maybe I will look into it more. I've been taking Ashwagandha, which has helped my mood.
Yeah, it's quite exhausting. Sometimes I feel like being in constant pain is driving me a bit mad. Which is what I said to the GP before she suggested ant-depressants. It's a bit better at the moment though.

Yes, I was a bit in denial about cognitive effects on me for a while, then I re-read something I wrote back in December when I was in a relapse and...it was quite badly written despite me doing several re-drafts :facepalm: I am better than I was now, but I think I'm still not back to full cognitive functioning. I have problems with focus and speed of thought, as well as memory, which I have often put down to tiredness - but while that's obviously a factor, I suspect even when well-rested I'm not back up to full functioning. I am currently doing work quite intellectual in nature so I have to keep my fingers crossed that I will continue to improve.

Short film on long covid from Citizens

This "if not now, dramatic pause, when?" bullshit enrages me. How fucking dare they invoke the words of Primo Levi (well, Hillel the elder) in support of their call to throw off the shackles of lockdown and emerge into the world ready to take it on the chin uncowed by the fearmongers who would have us trembling in our home offices forever.

After being infected with Covid just before last Xmas (2020) I noticed my knee and ankle joints felt a lot stiffer than before, seemingly. Just a couple of years earlier I'd been running around the park with the dog. I read up about arthritis and started losing some weight and taking supplements, mostly omega-3 (algae oil) and turmeric/curcumin. These seem to help a lot. Anyone else experienced post-Covid joint pains?

Yes. That's my main issue. I'm also taking omega 3,turmeric and also cbd oil. It sucks
Thank you. Was wondering if it was just my imagination, being over-vigilant etc. Have never tried CBD oil and know little about it

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom