Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

London recommendations for the 4th/5th?

hitmouse

so defeated, thinks it's funny
As the title says, anyone know of owt good happening in that London that weekend? Mostly thinking of a) any club nights people would recommend, and b) good places to watch the fireworks for free?

Hmmm. Presumably it must be possible to find a pub with a beer garden and/or stand around on a street corner near one of the paid ones?

Hmmm. Presumably it must be possible to find a pub with a beer garden and/or stand around on a street corner near one of the paid ones?
Yeah but most of them are quite a way away from Central London. Most central is Battersea. No idea what that one's like.

don't know if it will affect your plans, but be aware there's train strikes (may vary from one train operator to another) planned for thursday 3 and saturday 5 november, which will have some effect on services on friday 4 and sunday 6 as well. london underground / overground are expecting strikes on thursday 3, which again will take until some time on the morning of friday 4 for the service to settle down.

and of course roads / buses will be busier on strike days.

don't know if it will affect your plans, but be aware there's train strikes (may vary from one train operator to another) planned for thursday 3 and saturday 5 november, which will have some effect on services on friday 4 and sunday 6 as well. london underground / overground are expecting strikes on thursday 3, which again will take until some time on the morning of friday 4 for the service to settle down.

and of course roads / buses will be busier on strike days.

Yep, the timing actually works out fairly well for me, I'm travelling by coach on the 4th and 6th so disruption to my plans should be minimal. I suppose roads might be busier because of people wanting to avoid post-strike disrupted trains, but could be a lot worse. At first I thought there were also tube strikes happening on the 5th, which would've fucked things up a lot more, glad to realise I was misreading and that's not the case though.

Reactions: Sue
What sort of club nights are you after hitmouse ? I think your music taste might be quite different to mine but if you can steer genre wise might be able to help/investigate

There is also the option of an urban social gathering if you were that way inclined :hmm:

Heh, there's a Cat Power gig at the Royal Albert Hall on the 5th but I think tickets have already sold out.
There's the Cezanne exhibition at the Tate if that is your thing.

Or if you are want some leftie politic event there's a People Assembly

(Cat Power and Cezanne win it for me)

What sort of club nights are you after hitmouse ? I think your music taste might be quite different to mine but if you can steer genre wise might be able to help/investigate

There is also the option of an urban social gathering if you were that way inclined :hmm:
Dunno, I'm fairly open (and any suggestions will have to be agreed with my friend who has different tastes from me anyway), basically working from a baseline of not psytrance. I would really like to manage to make it to clandestino's Motown and 60s girl groups night at some point, but picked the wrong weekend for that.
Fwiw, here are the other tips I've been given exhibition-wise for that weekend:

OK, clubbing request is no longer active, but does anyone have recommendations for pubs with decent beer gardens near Battersea Park that might not be rammed?

The nearest pub to the park itself is the Prince Albert on Albert bridge, usually busy. Then you have Duke of Cambridge on Battersea Bridge Road or the Latchmere on Battersea Park Road. Beer ok in here. My choice would be the Lighthouse also on batt park road. Not been into any of them for a few weeks, all likely to be busy. Last two often show footie.
The classiest pub, not cheap but good beer and sport, no garden is the Falcon by Clapham Junction. There are also two spoons, new one opposite Falcon and The Asparagus at the park end of Falcon Rd. A drinkers pub with garden. Some of those mentioned do better food than others. There is little parking without permits.

The nearest pub to the park itself is the Prince Albert on Albert bridge, usually busy. Then you have Duke of Cambridge on Battersea Bridge Road or the Latchmere on Battersea Park Road. Beer ok in here. My choice would be the Lighthouse also on batt park road. Not been into any of them for a few weeks, all likely to be busy. Last two often show footie.
The classiest pub, not cheap but good beer and sport, no garden is the Falcon by Clapham Junction. There are also two spoons, new one opposite Falcon and The Asparagus at the park end of Falcon Rd. A drinkers pub with garden. Some of those mentioned do better food than others. There is little parking without permits.
Cheers for this, we ended up going to the Lighthouse in the end, turns out their garden is entirely covered so good for not getting drowned in rain but less good for being able to see any fireworks, and ended up timing it so we were sat indoors, missed the fireworks but had to battle through hundreds of people going for a drink after the fireworks as we were leaving. But that's entirely down to our own fuckwittedness, nothing against your recommendation though!

Back
Top Bottom