Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

London art exhibitions, installations and events - photos and chat

Somewhat boring I know - but went to the preview of the British Museum Michaelangelo exhibition 2 May - 28 Jul 2024.
Mainly "cartoons" and drawings - with some intriguing pairing of Michaelangelo drawing and a finished product by another artist.
This pairing is from the BM blog above
Michaelangelo
Temple 1000px.jpg

Marcello Venusti
Purification 1000px.jpg

There were walls devoted to explaining the Last Judgement, and also several Pieta and Annunciation pictures - these being composed by Michaelangelo and painted by others.
The largest such example was a drawing know as the Epithania (Epithany) featuring Jesus and John the Baptist playing hide and seek between their mother's legs.
This was given to Ascanio Condivi, starting on his career as an artist. Condivi's massive picture is next to Michaelangelo's cartoon in the show
Epifania new 1000px.jpg

Reactions: CH1
This was really good:

moonwalkers-01.jpg

Not London but still down south - has anyone been to see the Leonora Carrington exhibition at Petworth? hitmouse ?

I love her work and this sounds great, but getting to it from Leeds by public transport is not going to be easy

Last edited:
Yesterday I went along to the Estorick Collection of Modern Italian Art...
Situated in Islington...
A collection of photographs by Sergio Strizzi well worth seeing..
Ends 8th September 2024.
Tickets normally £7.50 but I paid half price with National Art Pass - well worth investing in..

View attachment 434255

View attachment 434256

View attachment 434257

View attachment 434258
Yes, interesting exhibition isn't it - great photographs!
I live fairly near so I have an individual membership which is only £20 for the year. I usually go to each exhibition at least twice so well worth it.
They have good exhibitions, usually artists and photographers I've not heard of before so I learn new stuff and they have the permanent exhibition too.

Yes, interesting exhibition isn't it - great photographs!
I live fairly near so I have an individual membership which is only £20 for the year. I usually go to each exhibition at least twice so well worth it.
They have good exhibitions, usually artists and photographers I've not heard of before so I learn new stuff and they have the permanent exhibition too.
Indeed..
I only heard about this place recently - lovely setting..
Enjoyed a coffee in the courtyard cafe...
Will look out for future events...:)

The Penny Slinger exhibition - Exorcism: Inside Out - at the Richard Saltoun Gallery near Green Park is well worth seeing as an experience of being immersed in someone else's world.

She's a surrealistic photo-collagist who has a very personal vision and whose work focuses on female/goddess sexuality and psychological symbols, and this powerful work goes back to the 1970s.

Reactions: CH1
Roger Mayne: Youth - documentary photography from the 1950s-1970s at the Courtauld Gallery. Last few days - it closes on Sunday 1 September. Catch it if you can, it's well worth seeing.

View attachment 440274
Bomb Site

View attachment 440275
Southam Street - Girl Dancing

View attachment 440276
Teddy Boy and Girl

View attachment 440277
Teddy Girls

View attachment 440278
Teenage Couple - cover photo for Absolute Beginners
I also enjoyed it. I agree with the photographer that his preference for the cover of absolute beginners was better than the one they used.

Roger Mayne: Youth - documentary photography from the 1950s-1970s at the Courtauld Gallery. Last few days - it closes on Sunday 1 September. Catch it if you can, it's well worth seeing.

View attachment 440274
Bomb Site

View attachment 440275

View attachment 440276
Teddy Boy and Girl

View attachment 440277
Teddy Girls

View attachment 440278
It's absolutely fantastic, as is the Courtauld.

View attachment 440274
Bomb Site

View attachment 440275

View attachment 440276
Teddy Boy and Girl

View attachment 440277
Teddy Girls

View attachment 440278
I also loved this exhibition.

I used to work on one of the estates which replaced one of the streets he photographed. Fascinating to see what the area was like in the 1950s.

I was convinced that the Absolute Beginners photo was taken on Queenstown Road in Battersea (Mayne did work in nearby Battersea Park) but on googling the fuck out of it it appears to be West London.

I was less keen on the photos of his family and friends and would like to have seen more of the 1950s street photography.

I also loved this exhibition.

I used to work on one of the estates which replaced one of the streets he photographed. Fascinating to see what the area was like in the 1950s.

I was convinced that the Absolute Beginners photo was taken on Queenstown Road in Battersea (Mayne did work in nearby Battersea Park) but on googling the fuck out of it it appears to be West London.

I was less keen on the photos of his family and friends and would like to have seen more of the 1950s street photography.
I agree about Queenstown Rd I went with a friend who was bought up just off that road and still lives there almost 60 years on and he was convinced too.
Kiev’s there

I agree about Queenstown Rd I went with a friend who was bought up just off that road and still lives there almost 60 years on and he was convinced too.
Kiev’s there
Interesting he thought that too! It really does look so like Queenstown Road with the gasometer at the end.

I loved the photo of the kids playing fearlessly on a bombsite in Bermondsey. Mayne captures the kids so well - their insouciance and joy in the face of postwar decay and poverty. They are so well captured at the age of five, or eight, or fifteen or whatever, that it feels weird to think that they will all be elderly people (or dead) now.

The Taylor Swift Trail at the V&A is a genius piece of marketing that gets new visitors (young and old) to see what's on offer at the museum, and hopefully spark new interests.

It's also a thoroughly engaging hour's worth of running around a museum.

1724955610845.png

I loved the photo of the kids playing fearlessly on a bombsite in Bermondsey. Mayne captures the kids so well - their insouciance and joy in the face of postwar decay and poverty. They are so well captured at the age of five, or eight, or fifteen or whatever, that it feels weird to think that they will all be elderly people (or dead) now.
It brought back memories for me. I'm old enough to remember playing on the bombsites on Upper Tulse Hill back in the '50s. I was only about 5 or 6, but we were allowed out by ourselves to play there all day (apart from coming home for dinner or tea).

Back
Top Bottom