Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

London art exhibitions, installations and events - photos and chat

Looks an interesting place - was it a Chapel? Not heard of it before, I'll have a look when I'm up that way :)
Yeah it's an old Methodist chapel, looks quite grand outside. Not sure how long it's been a gallery but I first went there in 2016. It's on Prince of Wales Rd about 5 mins walk from Chalk Farm tube. It always has cutting edge stuff, increasingly moving image and computer generated work, and there's a permanent VR room upstairs (thru the doorway top right in my 3rd photo). It's a good size - there's enough there to make it worthwhile to go to, but not so much that you'll need more than about 30 mins. And it's always free! :)

that does look interesting and I know that place , but have never been there - worth checking out at some point.
I went to see that exhibition, I'd never heard of the gallery before - it's a great place, an old chapel I think.
An off topic comment for you - afterwards I made the mistake of getting the 393 bus back towards Stokey, it's goes all round the back roads and when it got to Highbury corner a crowd of schoolchildren got on 😧 that was it for me, I had to get off and go another way home :D

I went to see that exhibition, I'd never heard of the gallery before - it's a great place, an old chapel I think.
An off topic comment for you - afterwards I made the mistake of getting the 393 bus back towards Stokey, it's goes all round the back roads and when it got to Highbury corner a crowd of schoolchildren got on 😧 that was it for me, I had to get off and go another way home :D
I've just been today. Huge space! Will post pics soon.

Donatello at the V&A - a lot of the work on show is either of people who influenced Donatello or people who were influenced by him, but that only enhances the work of Donatello himself, which is sublime. Very worth seeing.

Donatello by Roy Reed, on Flickr
Virgin and Child (Pazzi Madonna) - c1420-25 - marble

Donatello by Roy Reed, on Flickr
Crucifix - 1444-49 - bronze

Donatello and Desiderio da Settignano by Roy Reed, on Flickr
St John the Baptist (Martelli Baptist) - detail - c1454-57 - marble

This is wonderful

View attachment 362662

Went to this today. Amazing.
20230220_115942.jpg

20230220_121345.jpg

20230220_120443.jpg

20230220_120339.jpg

Went to this over the weekend , must admit that I'd never heard of Alice Neel , but reading about her , she was a very interesting person and artist.

I see a lot less art now , simply because I don't hear about it as much . I used to religiously buy Timeout & get info about exhibitions, and the Guardian Guide was good too. Now I'm a bit clueless about where to look , mostly can't be arsed looking at the Timeout website or the Guardian . Where do people find out about exhibitions in London?

That 393 takes ages, much quicker to get the Overground from Kentish Town West !

Went to this over the weekend , must admit that I'd never heard of Alice Neel , but reading about her , she was a very interesting person and artist.

I see a lot less art now , simply because I don't hear about it as much . I used to religiously buy Timeout & get info about exhibitions, and the Guardian Guide was good too. Now I'm a bit clueless about where to look , mostly can't be arsed looking at the Timeout website or the Guardian . Where do people find out about exhibitions in London?
I like Alice Neel's work, the Whitechapel Gallery had an exhibition a few years ago, I hadn't heard of her before then - this was an interesting film that was being shown in the gallery's little film room - her two sons speaking about her, she was certainly a character!

This was good on Sunday. It's a combined package really - the 10 Windsor beauties from the court of Charles II - a set of stylised portraits of court ladies from around 1665 leading into an exhibition by Robert Taylor, the black Lambeth portrait photographer. Luckily Robert Taylor was on hand on Sunday to give a personal intro - though the exhibition is very well explained in information panels throughout.
Permissible Beauty
open til 12th March if anyone fancies a visit to Hampton Court Palace.
https%3A%2F%2Fhistoricroyalpalaces.picturepark.com%2FGo%2FdZWHOjJU%2FV%2F62149%2F36

https%3A%2F%2Fhistoricroyalpalaces.picturepark.com%2FGo%2Fsti6VFXo%2FV%2F62155%2F36

Here you are marty21 and anyone else - two new free exhibitions coming up..

The new Gilbert and George gallery in Spitalfields, from April 1st (assuming that's not a joke!)

....or perhaps you might fancy a visit to this one at the Barbican ;) :D

I’m on email lists for the Tate, RA etc. The Art Fund do quite a good email too (not just London).

The new Gilbert and George gallery in Spitalfields, from April 1st (assuming that's not a joke!)

....or perhaps you might fancy a visit to this one at the Barbican ;) :D

just realised
George
roddy.png

Rodigan
george.png

Back
Top Bottom