Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

London art exhibitions, installations and events - photos and chat

You went to the Tate a while back but I guess it was before the Hogarth exhibition. Some great pictures, many are well known, a few were from private collections which will probably get buried away and never to be seen again, so a great exhibition, but ignore the captions! Terrible, truly terrible.

Booked this for Sunday , anyone else been to it?

I haven't been, it looks interesting but it's quite expensive iirc?
It's in a great old space, I've been inside that building a few times when it was open for a maker's craft fair. It's a former horse and carriage repository - larger inside than you'd imagine from the outside.

I haven't been, it looks interesting but it's quite expensive iirc?
It's in a great old space, I've been inside that building a few times when it was open for a maker's craft fair. It's a former horse and carriage repository - larger inside than you'd imagine from the outside.
Booked it ages ago when lockdown meant I wasn't spending much money.

Kew Gardens light trail

kew-gardens-light-trail-24.jpg

kew-gardens-light-trail-20.jpg

kew-gardens-light-trail-08.jpg

20211121_162637.jpg So, the Van Gogh Immersive Experience, all in all, not worth shelling out (tickets were £30 plus you had to pay an extra £5 for the VR headset ) . The VR stuff was amazing for me (mrs21 took the headset off after minute or so as she felt dizzy & nauseous) It's a 10 minute show.

The rest of it was underwhelming, there's a bit at the end where Van Gogh images are projected on to the walls of a room the size of a tennis court. It would have been better if the room was dark, but they couldn't turn the lights out as there were folk on the floor ) so it was a bit meh in the end.

View attachment 297668 So, the Van Gogh Immersive Experience, all in all, not worth shelling out (tickets were £30 plus you had to pay an extra £5 for the VR headset ) . The VR stuff was amazing for me (mrs21 took the headset off after minute or so as she felt dizzy & nauseous) It's a 10 minute show.

The rest of it was underwhelming, there's a bit at the end where Van Gogh images are projected on to the walls of a room the size of a tennis court. It would have been better if the room was dark, but they couldn't turn the lights out as there were folk on the floor ) so it was a bit meh in the end.
i take it that's a still from your blue movie

The annoying thing is that the same exhibition is on in other places & looks a lot better ffs .

View attachment 297668 So, the Van Gogh Immersive Experience, all in all, not worth shelling out (tickets were £30 plus you had to pay an extra £5 for the VR headset ) . The VR stuff was amazing for me (mrs21 took the headset off after minute or so as she felt dizzy & nauseous) It's a 10 minute show.

Sorry it was meh, but thanks for taking one for the team. It'd have to be better than meh at that price. Will avoid.

I was given a free ticket and was massively underwhelmed. Everything about the place felt a bit like it was hastily out together on the cheap. I learnt a few random facts but nothing I couldn't have gleaned in a short half decent documentary, and the endlessly looping music quickly became irritating.

Some of the prints on the wall were of really poor quality, with the only thing really being memorable was the big room with the projections.

The wall sized animations were very clever and I liked the idea of seeing the world through Van Gogh's world although it was a bit gimmicky, and some of the transitions were needlessly complex. The rainfall one was good though, although I wished we'd heard the sound of rain when it happened rather than yet more 'deep and meaningful' classical tunes.

My friend gave it 3/10. I think I'd agree.

The annual Koestler Trust exhibition is on at the Southbank Centre until the end of the week. As always an interesting show with some stand out pieces. I don't have any pics but details here - Koestler Arts: The I and the We - free, open quite late and was very quiet when I visited so no need to jostle for space.

I was given a free ticket and was massively underwhelmed. Everything about the place felt a bit like it was hastily out together on the cheap. I learnt a few random facts but nothing I couldn't have gleaned in a short half decent documentary, and the endlessly looping music quickly became irritating.

Some of the prints on the wall were of really poor quality, with the only thing really being memorable was the big room with the projections.

The wall sized animations were very clever and I liked the idea of seeing the world through Van Gogh's world although it was a bit gimmicky, and some of the transitions were needlessly complex. The rainfall one was good though, although I wished we'd heard the sound of rain when it happened rather than yet more 'deep and meaningful' classical tunes.

My friend gave it 3/10. I think I'd agree.
Annoyingly , it looks a lot better at other venues , but it didn't work in the London one.

Went to this today , collection of paintings,sculpture & photos. Enjoyed it but admission prices seem to have skyrocketed of late (£18) . Liked the post war photos , Lucian Freud & Francis Bacon stuff , and particularly liked a Leon Kossof painting of Willesden Junction .

Back
Top Bottom