Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Loft conversions - top tips from those that have done it?

We had a loft conversion done about 15 years ago and really please. Except we have a bath and hose shower. However, the header tank is only about a meter above the taps and so the bath fills really really slowly. Had I have known would either have gone for some kind of pump / power shower or not bothered with a bath shower.
We have a mega-flo system but it's in the basement, so we might need to add a pump to make sure the pressure gets up there.

I think (will check) he is charging us for finish to plaster ready to decorate, he has got decorators and tilers. Then we'll just have our usual problem that gsv wants to be involved in the decisions on everything, but at the same time can never really get keen enough on any specific tiles to make a decision. Might just do what we did last time which was - see what nice tiles are on sale/clearance and buy them.

This is unlikely to be relevant to the present conversation, but maybe someone else sometime in the future (hello future urban loft builder :) )

One of the things I did with my loft extension was to get the flat roof made to a higher spec so I could go up there to sit about and enjoy the view. The architect took me up top to show me the view and talk about how he was grabbing extra headspace with the roof ridge and innovative guttering etc and I said "And how will I be able to access the roof?" He looked at me and went "...?" I said "You can't show me this view and then take it away from me!"

So we added an extra skylight and made sure it was possible to stand on the flat roof without causing damage. Obviously we couldn't put in any kind of retainer (that would make it too high for planning permission) but it was fucking wonderful to be able to go up there and lay about in the sun or have a drink and watch the sun go down over Brixton.

I had a wooden window cleaner's ladder up there (so you could negotiate the top more easily) and a big basket on a rope. It was a bit of a drag to get everything up there by passing shit up through the skylight from the ladder and haul it up with the basket. but oh so worth it.

Had I to do it again, I would design in some kind of disguised step system on the wall beside the skylight to make it easier to get stuff up and down, but it was too late to make such changes by the time I saw the view.

I liked the way it wasn't an official stairway to heaven access route; it took me back to illicit roof parties of my youth. I did think of putting planters up there but decided against it for pretty obvious reasons (maintenance of the plants, maintenance of the roof).

Nothing was higher than the roof in the vicinity, cos it was a residential area, so I could be up there in complete privacy. It was excellent.

It also meant I never had to worry that going up there for inspect or repair would ever cause damage to the flat roof (heavy boots, dropped hammers etc). I know that's unlikely, but flat roofs being what they are, it's always been a niggle for me.

One thing though: someone left a brush loaded with some kind of glue on the edge of the roof, obviously meaning to bring it in at the last moment, and it was fused to the roof like something from the Philadelphia Experiment. Allways, always, always snag after the last snagger has left. Always. Always always.

This wasn't just a loft extension, it was a total renovation of the entire house. Hadn't been touched since the 70s, stripped back to the brick, walls moved around etc. It was essentially a new build inside the old skin. It was a great adventure. Given the right circumstances I'd love to do it again.

I'm scared to mention that to gsv because he'll want it ;) We should have a floor-ceiling window on one side though.

We've already bashed downstairs around a lot - I have to say, when that was all finished, I didn't care how much it cost, I was dead chuffed we'd done it, and what's more we'd done a pretty different layout to what anyone else has done with one of these houses as far as we can tell. It's funny the things you find you are happiest about with big works - I think two of the best bits to come out of that were the 'pocket door' the slides into the wall for the downstairs loo. A few hundred extra quid but it was the difference between the door opening shonkily into a small loo or out to a narrow hallway, and it looking really good. The second but was the stairs up to the kitchen. We couldn't afford an architect, so we didn't really know what the opening into the kitchen (which was a few steps up) from the lounge would look like and it was actually really good and what's more it means the kitchen isn't too 'in your face' from the living area.

Those extra few 100 - or if possible 1000 - quid are always worth it for the ease of living and the pleasure of making something that works well.

I say that as someone who's been more boracic than flush throughout my life.

I'm scared to mention that to gsv because he'll want it ;) We should have a floor-ceiling window on one side though.
Oh. Another alternative I was going to suggest was to put the bath under the window then you could have a separate shower as well.

I know a balcony takes away wall space but a Juliette balcony has always appealed to me when looking at windows in loft spaces.

I know a balcony takes away wall space but a Juliette balcony has always appealed to me when looking at windows in loft spaces.
Our neighbours have one and that's the one thing they said wasn't worth it! But it might be just because theirs is so small.

beesonthewhatnow - those have crossed my mind but way over our budget I'm sure!

We have a mega-flo system but it's in the basement, so we might need to add a pump to make sure the pressure gets up there.
You can’t add a pump to a megaflo outlet. You’d need to either upgrade the pipe work into the house to increase the pressure and flow rate, or install an accumulator tank and pump that into the megaflo.

Back
Top Bottom