Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

List Brady's -- please sign the pledge

Mrs Magpie said:
I was told that too...I suspect by the same old-school Brixtonite who told me Brady's was already listed and that the land by Lily Langtree's coach house was ancient woodland of many acres. No on both counts, having seen it.
The words "away" and "with the fairies" come to mind. ;)

IntoStella said:
Still embarrassing about the number of sides debacle, though.
Mind you, there can't be that many six sided railway railway clocks about though - and the one in Liverpool seems to attract a lot of attention, I wonder if that one's listed?

Shame that the Brady's mechanism is completely knackered (I've looked). It would cost an absolute fortune to fix.

editor said:
Mind you, there can't be that many six sided railway railway clocks about though - and the one in Liverpool seems to attract a lot of attention, I wonder if that one's listed?

Shame that the Brady's mechanism is completely knackered (I've looked). It would cost an absolute fortune to fix.
Neh, we'll replace it with a quartz mechanism from the market. ;)

Anyone interested in turning Bradys into a decent community pub can't do worse than take a look at the Bread and Roses in Clapham. Ive just got back from a Black History evening there and it does the perfect job of getting people from all backgrounds under one roof. Really really good.

memespring said:
Anyone interested in turning Bradys into a decent community pub can't do worse than take a look at the Bread and Roses in Clapham. Ive just got back from a Black History evening there and it does the perfect job of getting people from all backgrounds under one roof. Really really good.

Glad to hear that because it's a nice airy and bright pub. We were there over the summer on a sunday afternoon and it was full of braying Claphams.

Boys: Shirt with a polo player on the crest bit.
Girls: Jeans tucked into those wierd stubby boots.

We ran out.

Mr Retro said:
Glad to hear that because it's a nice airy and bright pub. We were there over the summer on a sunday afternoon and it was full of braying Claphams.

Boys: Shirt with a polo player on the crest bit.
Girls: Jeans tucked into those wierd stubby boots.

We ran out.

:) They only come out when the sun shines. And I think its their cash that ends up paying for events like last night (even if they dont know it).

Its a very interesting model for a pub actually. Its owned by the Batersea and Wandsworth Trade Union Council via the Workers Beer Company (who also run all the bars at Glastonbury). Its run as a normal pub but then made avaliable to groups and campaigns for organising their events. Also because its run by unions the bar staff pay is supposed to be great.

memespring said:
Its a very interesting model for a pub actually. Its owned by the Batersea and Wandsworth Trade Union Council via the Workers Beer Company (who also run all the bars at Glastonbury). Its run as a normal pub but then made avaliable to groups and campaigns for organising their events. Also because its run by unions the bar staff pay is supposed to be great.

Maybe the Workers Beer Company would be good to meet and get advice from regarding Bradys?

Mr Retro said:
Maybe the Workers Beer Company would be good to meet and get advice from regarding Bradys?

Thats what I was thinking. I know a couple of people who work there and for the trades council. I mentioned Bradys and they suggested talking to the WBC general manager for advice. I could aproach him for some advice when things begin to move on a bit?

There is also a Lambeth Trade Union Council who might be usefull to get on board.

And also perhaps CAMRA would have some good advice on bringing a pub back into use?

What do you think IS?

memespring said:
:) They only come out when the sun shines. And I think its their cash that ends up paying for events like last night (even if they dont know it).

not really a pub for the workers is it?£3.50 for a pint of poncy lager and in such a working class area too :rolleyes:

linerider said:
not really a pub for the workers is it?£3.50 for a pint of poncy lager and in such a working class area too :rolleyes:

Thats what you get if you drink poncy larger I guess. Stick to the workers ale. 1.70 a pint I think :)

(And clapham isnt totally populated by the polo shirt brigade.)

I've had a really helpful reply from Dr Kathryn Ferry at the Victorian Society, who says she passes the clocktower every day and had often wondered if it was listed. :cool:

If anybody who isn't on the pledgebank mailing list wants a copy, pm me your email address. All pledgebank signees have been emailed a copy.

I will also be doing a supplementary paper petition for the Luddites, of which I am told there are many among the old Brady's drinkers in the Beehive.

:D

ianw said:
thanks for the update IS. is there anything else you need us to do at this stage?
Can't think of owt right this minute, other than getting your friends etc to sign up. The more signatories, the clearer the message it will send to the council and EH. :)

memespring said:
Thats what you get if you drink poncy larger I guess. Stick to the workers ale. 1.70 a pint I think :)

(And clapham isnt totally populated by the polo shirt brigade.)
maybe not but it isn't the workers republic of clapham either.
battersea and wandsworth has alot more to it than clapham(so why do their pub there)
i do have other problems with the workers beer company that i can't be bothered to go into now

linerider said:
maybe not but it isn't the workers republic of clapham either.
:) Guess not.

I think the pub has been there for years (not 100%), so Im not sure how they came by that site. They do put it to some good uses though.

My experiences with WBC and BWTUC have always been positive. They seem to have a talent for exposing people to new ideas, promoting decent causes without ramming it down anyones neck (if they manage to turn a couple of clapham rar's all the better). They're probably the only organisation to make trade unions look anything other than stuffy too.

memespring said:
:) Guess not.

I think the pub has been there for years (not 100%), so Im not sure how they came by that site. They do put it to some good uses though.

My experiences with WBC and BWTUC have always been positive. They seem to have a talent for exposing people to new ideas, promoting decent causes without ramming it down anyones neck (if they manage to turn a couple of clapham rar's all the better). They're probably the only organisation to make trade unions look anything other than stuffy too.
sorry i went off on a tangent. :oops:
lets work together and get the place listed first

linerider said:
sorry i went off on a tangent. :oops:
lets work together and get the place listed first

You're right, talk of pubs is probably well off in the future.

Getting it listed is the priority - 1) to stop some twat knocking the thing down; 2) getting lots of people together to do help get it listed will serve as a usefull experement for the much larger project of doing something with the building.

Unless anyone knows any differnt, I think this is going to be the first community drafted listing application?

IntoStella said:
I've had a really helpful reply from Dr Kathryn Ferry at the Victorian Society, who says she passes the clocktower every day and had often wondered if it was listed. :cool:

If anybody who isn't on the pledgebank mailing list wants a copy, pm me your email address. All pledgebank signees have been emailed a copy.

I will also be doing a supplementary paper petition for the Luddites, of which I am told there are many among the old Brady's drinkers in the Beehive.

:D

Just an idea, but maybe you could e-mail us a blank paper petition (or let us know the wording) so we can collect signatures. I know it's not much, but I think at least we feel that we are doing something. Keeps up the momentum of the troops :)

Zinedine* said:
Just an idea, but maybe you could e-mail us a blank paper petition (or let us know the wording) so we can collect signatures. I know it's not much, but I think at least we feel that we are doing something. Keeps up the momentum of the troops :)

Or you could use the text message function on PledgeBank? That way it keeps everyone in one place. You just need to text Pledge Bradys to 60022

There are flyers you can print out to help nag people.

<here ends the advert for pledgebank>

EDIT: IntoStella, you only get one go at sending messages to the sms signups

memespring said:
Or you could use the text message function on PledgeBank? That way it keeps everyone in one place. You just need to text Pledge Bradys to 60022

There are flyers you can print out to help nag people.

<here ends the advert for pledgebank>

excellent, Thank you :)

The buiding is already in a conservation area (according to the Lambeth Conservation Officer) and therefore has some protection and is unlikely to be demolished. Although developers faced with this obstacle will sometimes allow a building to become unsafe and crumble away to force acceptance of demolition. Getting the Victorian society on to it, raising the profile of the plight of this building and getting further protection is still a good idea. Provided your listing application doesn't fail - which can leave the building more vulnerable than if you do nothing sometimes.

Bear im mind that as a useable venue of any size it is fairly unworkable without the big back room. It may not be possible to include the back room in the listing as it is a 1930s addition to the original structure and may not be considered special enough. You can push the back room on the strength of its pannellled interior possibly. It is the clocktower that is most special.

It is Lambeth council that has caused the dereliction of this building in CPOing it for a development that never happened.

brixtonman said:
Provided your listing application doesn't fail - which can leave the building more vulnerable than if you do nothing sometimes.
According to the conservation officer, I know, but that sounds a lot like a deterrent to doing anything and let's face it, it is in the council's interests for it to remain unlisted.

Having spoken to him, my instinct is that the Lambeth CO was truthful. It makes sense - a botched application may get in the way of a further one or could be used to say "see it wasn't worth listing and here's the proof".

I think signing a pledge on the internet for this is of no relevance.

I hope my advice is helpful on Bradys.

Back
Top Bottom