Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

List Brady's -- please sign the pledge

Advertising

What about a huge poster on the side of Bradys saying:

"TEXT 'PLEDGE BRADYS' To 60022 TO SAVE THIS BUILDING"

Even better stencil it on with spray paint (the film crew who were there the other day would have fun with the continuity : ) )

memespring said:
What about a huge poster on the side of Bradys saying:

"TEXT 'PLEDGE BRADYS' To 60022 TO SAVE THIS BUILDING"

Even better stencil it on with spray paint (the film crew who were there the other day would have fun with the continuity : ) )
Great idea. Anybody any good at this sort of thing? Not much of an urban art guerilla meself. ;) I'll be lookout. :D

IntoStella said:
Great idea. Anybody any good at this sort of thing? Not much of an urban art guerilla meself. ;) I'll be lookout. :D

I really, really wouldn't recommend you try that.

Ah well, back to the drawing board.

Btw it doesn't necessarily follow that your friend should be put out of a job if the building comes into community use.

IntoStella said:
Not much of an urban art guerilla meself. ;)

Me neither. A poster would be good though. Alot of people pass by Bradys, if you can make them look up at the tower, and then down at the text number I think there will be a good response.

There's only 34 letters in TEXT 'PLEDGE BRADYS' To 60022 TO SAVE THIS BUILDING. 3 letters each on A4 at font size 600?

memespring said:
Me neither. A poster would be good though. Alot of people pass by Bradys, if you can make them look up at the tower, and then down at the text number
And then crash into the car in front. :D

IntoStella said:
Ah well, back to the drawing board.

Btw it doesn't necessarily follow that your friend should be put out of a job if the building comes into community use.

Hmm, nope in his case I think it would. Long story... he loved it when it was a pub himself, so I'm sure he would have mixed feeling himself if he knew of all this talk.

But anyway, his normal reaction to anybody he *catches* trying to get in or deface the place can be quite... extreme. :eek: Some of the local crackheads have had the shock of their lives.

I'm on a PC now and bloody hell, that site looks so different. It is unutterably rubbish on a Mac.

I will PM the editor to see if we can borrow one of his lovely Brady's pix for the page -- credited, of course.

Gabi -- don't you think the place might well continue to need a caretaker? And community use may well include a bar/pub, gigs, cabaret and all the other things Brady's was loved for. Well. Not ALL of them, maybe. :eek: :D

gabi said:
Hmm, nope in his case I think it would. Long story... he loved it when it was a pub himself, so I'm sure he would have mixed feeling himself if he knew of all this talk.

But anyway, his normal reaction to anybody he *catches* trying to get in or deface the place can be quite... extreme. :eek: Some of the local crackheads have had the shock of their lives.

I thought I'd seen someone in there - at least soemone is trying to look after it.

He's probaby got more chance of keeping some sort of job there as a community pub than as 'Living mk 2' or luxury apartments.

IntoStella said:
I'm on a PC now and bloody hell, that site looks so different. It is unutterably rubbish on a Mac.

You might want to let them know that (team@pledgebank.com). I think they all use linux or PCs so probably havnt seen it on a Mac very often.

Pic now up. Thanks, editor. :cool:

There is no option to caption pics so I have put 'Picture courtesy of urban75.com' in the comments section.

A potential problem with getting this builidng listed is that it may, in fact, make it harder to find an alternative use for it.

Once the building is listed, it will be largely (but not completely) protected from demolition if that is on the cards at the moment. However, anyone wishing to develop the building would then have the extra hurdles of listed building consent to jump over before they could do anything to it. Any work to the building would have to be done to the standards required by the listed building consent as would any future alterations. This can make things quite expensive and may put potential users off.

There are grants available for this sort of thing and English Heritage (the lead body in this field) is keen to see historic buildings reused but a building such as Brady's would be listed only at Grade II (the lowest grade) and funds are not so forthcoming for buildings in this category.

I would suggest speaking to the relevant conservation officer (if Lambeth still has such a thing) as well as the Victorian Society who are very helpful.

Just read my post back - I don't mean to sound negative. I think it's great to look after old buildings. Just that it may be a good idea to talk to some people who work with this sort of thing before submitting a listing application.

Given that English Heritage ran an advertising campaign for their "Power of Place" consultation (back in 2000?) with Electric Avenue on the cover to promote their work regenerating conservation in edgy urban areas, they bloody well ought to be interested, given the lack of progress in taking any restoration projects forward in the area.

I'm sure there was talk back then about some EH money being available - although a lot of people were more obsessed by the Electric Avenue canopies.

lang rabbie said:
I'm sure there was talk back then about some EH money being available - although a lot of people were more obsessed by the Electric Avenue canopies.
Given the ongoing crime situation, sadly, I think we'd be better off forgetting about those. The police will fight it tooth and nail and the canopies have probably rusted to nothing by now. :(

I have written to the relevant bod at the Victorian Society for advice about Brady's, so fingers crossed. Anyone wants to see what I said, PM me with your email address.

Lots of useful info at

http://www.victorian-society.org.uk/adv0.html

robotsimon said:
I would suggest speaking to the relevant conservation officer (if Lambeth still has such a thing)
Oh yes. They're the people busy stopping anyone converting their lofts into bedrooms. They won't have any time for not being officious aresholes I wouldn't have thought.

I wouldn't have thought a conservation officer would get involved in loft conversions (unless it's a conversion in an historically significant building) - that would probably be a planning officer. Although, as a lot of local authorities have seen fit to get rid of anyone involved with conserving the historic environment, they might well be the same person . . .

Urban myths, red faces

Looking again at the editor's photos, I realise that the niggling doubt in the back of my mind was correct.

The tower is not five sided. It's six sided. :oops: :oops: So many people told me it was five sided that I believed them. :oops:

This is quite embarassing as I told the Victorian Society it was five sided, and it says it on the pledge too.

That's it then. Let's call the whole thing off.

Kidding!

IntoStella said:
The tower is not five sided. It's six sided. :oops: :oops: So many people told me it was five sided that I believed them.
Ahem! From my Brady's/Railway Hotel article:
The building is constructed around a high level railway bridge with one of the brick arches making up part of the third floor roof: so things must have been rather noisy for the guests!

In fact, there's railways all around, with three separate lines passing within metres of the pub and this was reflected in the design of the clocktower: its six-sided design ensuring that it could be read from trains passing in all directions.
And from the Brixton Society's website:
The clock tower you see ahead above a railway viaduct belongs to the former Railway Hotel in Atlantic Road. The clock has six faces; this was supposedly so that railway passengers could see the time - and the hotel - from whatever line they were travelling on.
http://www.brixtonsociety.org.uk/trailfive.htm

editor said:
Ahem! From my Brady's/Railway Hotel article: And from the Brixton Society's website:
You mean you nicked it off the Brixton Society website? :p

No, point taken, I always thought it was six but people kept saying it was one of only three five sided towers in Europe and all this and I didn't check it. :oops:

Next I'm going to write to the Brixton Society and the council's conservation officer. Unless anyone has any objections, that is?

IntoStella said:
You mean you nicked it off the Brixton Society website?
Well that and, err, taking several pictures of the thing and working out that there were six sides on display!

Expect a long wait from the Brixton Society. It took them about two years to out in a link to the Brixton section on urban75.

IntoStella said:
No, point taken, I always thought it was six but people kept saying it was one of only three five sided towers in Europe and all this and I didn't check it. :oops:
I was told that too...I suspect by the same old-school Brixtonite who told me Brady's was already listed and that the land by Lily Langtree's coach house was ancient woodland of many acres. No on both counts, having seen it.

Mrs Magpie said:
I was told that too...I suspect by the same old-school Brixtonite who told me Brady's was already listed and that the land by Lily Langtree's coach house was ancient woodland of many acres. No on both counts, having seen it.
I don't think five sided towers are all that rare come to think of it.

There's even another one in Brixton!
Hetherington Road.
Beyond this, the 16-storey five-sided tower is Bedford House (Lambeth 1968), marking the western end of the otherwise low-rise Solon Estate.
http://www.brixtonsociety.org.uk/trailtwo.htm
There's also a five-sided clock tower at the Angel Hotel in Cardiff.

editor said:
Expect a long wait from the Brixton Society. It took them about two years to out in a link to the Brixton section on urban75.
OK. I've done it now so the ball is at least in their court.

Still embarrassing about the number of sides debacle, though. :oops:

Back
Top Bottom