Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Let's go foraging

Elderberries are starting to ripen round here - just picked a couple of lbs this morning but itā€™ll be at least week before they do so en masse. Will have to remember to take my berry hook (I.e. old umbrella handle) and secateurs while out and about. I have been known to carry around a small stepladder to get at those hard-to-reach bunches of berries if the occasion demands it.

I'm going to miss the blackberries when they finally give up for the year - I've been grazing them every day for about a month on my bike ride before tea and have recently been bringing home just enough for two days' dessert enhancement...
Having just given away a load of preserving jars I never used in anger, I can see that it's something I will want to get serious about when I finally settle in the countryside in a year or two.
I've already found myself checking out the hedgerows of my target destination on Street View - and I'm also hoping for sea buckthorn and samphire ...

Elderberries are out! Just collected about 5kg of plumptious berries from a couple of bushes we spotted while out yesterday. Theyā€™re on a busy road so much easier to pick at 7am on a quiet Sunday. Taking a break from ā€œforkingā€ them off the stalks - but they really are lovely specimens.

Pic of them at the bottom of a brew bin:
IMG_5290.jpeg

Last edited:
The second wave of plump blackberries is going hand in hand with the elderberries. Canā€™t wait to try the resulting wine. Production is running at 45 gallons (and counting) and weā€™re not even into the apple season yet. A bumper year for sure.

We thought we knew our the best picking spots in our local area pretty well so, it was with some surprise, that this morning we came across an amazing clump of elder trees arranged in a circle with a little clearing in the middle that had been under our noses all the time. In 10 mins flat we collected nearly 5kg of elderberries from that elderberry roundabout and will be heading back this afternoon after work with a stepladder to pluck more from its upper branches. Damn, I love this time of year. You go for a walk and never come home empty handed. šŸ™‚

Loads of ripe hips now on the rugosa roses that are everywhere here. I don't remember ever trying them raw before but they're lush - really intense, sweet flavour that's like apple/haw and tomatoey and slightly floral all at the same time. Just been given a big bottle of syrup too.

I've ordered some amelanchier, a few of the better hawthorns for eating and a load of sea buckthorn to plant this winter.

Went out today mushrooming and found absolutely stack all. About three indeterminate mushrooms, or 'Fred's' as we call them, and a clump of dried out macrosporous. Nothing else at all. I'm hoping that after this very dry period (down here) a bit of rain next week will generate some fungal activity.

Ready for the dehydrator.

Plenty of blueing šŸ˜Ž
(the dark patches are where the spores were drifting from some onto others

I got a chunk of the mycelium too.ā€¦

IMG_2442.jpegIMG_2445.jpeg

This is my second batch of the year. Already have a freezer bag full of dried caps from earlier in the year.

Loads of ripe hips now on the rugosa roses that are everywhere here. I don't remember ever trying them raw before but they're lush - really intense, sweet flavour that's like apple/haw and tomatoey and slightly floral all at the same time. Just been given a big bottle of syrup too.

I've ordered some amelanchier, a few of the better hawthorns for eating and a load of sea buckthorn to plant this winter.

I used rugosa to make my syrup. I wait for them to blet a bit before harvest, which makes a gorgeous figgy sweetness. Theyā€™re easier to harvest too: less thorny.

Do these look like way caps??

I think not but found it funny finding them growing in a planter outside a restaurant on the high street simply because they could beIMG_20231005_232623.jpgIMG_20231005_232607.jpg

Looks possible Callie . Wavies do grow on wood chip and old wooden flowerbed borders.

But compare with Funeral Bells, which have a ring around the stipe and a kinda silky look below the ring.

Did you look for blueing when you picked them?

Looks possible Callie . Wavies do grow on wood chip and old wooden flowerbed borders.

But compare with Funeral Bells, which have a ring around the stipe and a kinda silky look below the ring.

Did you look for blueing when you picked them?
I didn't pick them! Wouldn't unless I was confident on an ID

I didn't pick them! Wouldn't unless I was confident on an ID

Why not?
genuine question

The thing is, if you want to learn how to ID mushrooms then you have to pick them. Sometimes the distinguishing characteristics arenā€™t obvious so you have to look at the gills, the stipe, the volva etc. Sometimes the useful characteristic is the smell (or even the taste: you can take a bite AND NOT SWALLOW even quite dangerous mushrooms).

Sometimes itā€™s the way they stain where theyā€™re bruised, which can only happen if you pick them. (Yellow strainers look just like field mushrooms and horse mushrooms. Lots of people have gotten sick because they didnā€™t know to check for the staining).

As with wavy caps and funeral bells. They look different if you know the difference, but the inexperienced eye might get them mixed up. The easiest way to be sure is the ring around the stipe but unless you lay your head down beside them and look closely youā€™ll not see itm so itā€™s best to pick it.

All the mushroom courses and books recommend picking them and taking them home to learn how to identify and key them out.

I get that to learn you have to look

This was a 10pm passing by while out for dinner with a friend so not the best circumstances for learning :D I'll try to have another look though just out of curiosity!

I want puffballs tho it seems they are basically wild only so thats the end of it?

My local patch of puffballs is alongside the road where I live. I get off the bus, walk by the patch and get my supper on the way home. My Piopino patch is also along my commute route. I also harvest fairy ring champignons here in Brixton, and once I found St George mushrooms at the foot of a tower block, although Iā€™ve not seen them again. St George mushrooms seem to like the patches of grass nearby buildings like schools, housing estates etc. Iā€™ve often found parasols near roads and building too.

You can find wildish places in the city for sure.

šŸ„

Back
Top Bottom