Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Let's go foraging

Where are you all getting ripe blackberries at this time of year?

Leeds - I suspect the ones I've getting are largely cultivars that have escaped from allotments and gardens (judging by the size). The smaller varieties are resolutely green and I don't expect to see them ripen for another month. They're also pretty much confined to the top part of the bush so, if you're under 6 foot, forget it. I have been known to bring a stepladder out with me on occasion. :)

Last edited:
Has anyone made a bramble chutney? My apple harvest looks like it will be shit this year, so will probably need to make chutney from something else. There are plenty of recipes, just not sure how well it will work.

Has anyone made a bramble chutney? My apple harvest looks like it will be shit this year, so will probably need to make chutney from something else. There are plenty of recipes, just not sure how well it will work.
Yep, cant remember any recipe but a quick look at a few on the web and you cant go wrong. Itll all get eaten dont you worry. Made a smashing plum sauce with a sort of Chinese spices a couple of years ago. I recon (savory) bramble jelly where you sieve the seeds out could be great. Any chilli sauce with fruit is great.

Just under 2.5kg from my fave spot yesterday, already turned into bramble jelly, jarred and int pantry.

Attachments

• 20220731_115415.jpg
    20220731_115415.jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 2
Even without wearing glasses I spotted a few juicy ones yesterday as I walked home but they were a bit too near a main road and dogs - looked like it had leaked out of the allotments on the other side of the fence ...

Have an old net curtain, suspended between 2 chairs, with 6 freaking kilos of blackberries, dribbling away.. I usually get around a pint per kilo of juice (being disciplined, adding no water and allowing no squeezing) which doubles with added sugar, so a dozen 1lb jars to supplement the half dozen jars of redcurrant jelly. Years ago, I used to make well over 100 llbs of various jellies...but honestly, the hours and hours and hours of picking put me off, so when the offspring no longer clamoured for blackcurrant cordials, I binned off the whole earthmother thing in some relief. Only a scary fear of starvation (and not really wanting to eat anymore chocolate spread on my toast) has encouraged me to get my old picking basket out (I hang it round my neck to use both hands for picking).

I managed to rescue around 8 or so kilos of cobnuts but only by chopping down the whole tree...but donated to eldest as teeth (lack of) means nuts are a challenge too far and I really cba doing nutmilk stuff.

Have an old net curtain, suspended between 2 chairs, with 6 freaking kilos of blackberries, dribbling away.. I usually get around a pint per kilo of juice (being disciplined, adding no water and allowing no squeezing) which doubles with added sugar, so a dozen 1lb jars to supplement the half dozen jars of redcurrant jelly. Years ago, I used to make well over 100 llbs of various jellies...but honestly, the hours and hours and hours of picking put me off, so when the offspring no longer clamoured for blackcurrant cordials, I binned off the whole earthmother thing in some relief. Only a scary fear of starvation (and not really wanting to eat anymore chocolate spread on my toast) has encouraged me to get my old picking basket out (I hang it round my neck to use both hands for picking).

I managed to rescue around 8 or so kilos of filberts, but only by chopping down the whole tree...but donated to eldest as teeth (lack of) means nuts are a challenge too far and I really cba doing nutmilk stuff.
Speaking as someone also somewhat challenged in the teeth department, nut butters can be a nice way of consuming nuts...

I managed to rescue around 8 or so kilos of cobnuts but only by chopping down the whole tree...but donated to eldest as teeth (lack of) means nuts are a challenge too far and I really cba doing nutmilk stuff.
That’s a fantastic image, a bulging net curtain dribbling juice. I would no doubt trip over and fall in it

When do you all start picking rowan berries? Even here in Scotland, many look ready, but most sources of info suggest waiting until at least end of August.

I kept a litre of pre-jellied blackberry syrup to use as a cordial (because I had no blackcurrants this year). Mixed with same amount of redcurrant juice and diluted with tonic water, it is drinkable on a hot day. Youngest glugs it back after a day of welding.

I just save up empty food jars for most things, but recently bought a kilner style clip 1.5L jar in Tesco for less than £4 (for flavoured vodka).

Wilco online not showing cheap jars.
The cheapest 225ml one I can find are 53p each for a hundred.
Lidl sell beetroot and so on in the same jar for less (I think).
Anyone better this website?

Back
Top Bottom